Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I stumbled across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/914-PORSCHE-Back-f...f75&vxp=mtr

This might be a good way to rid myself of that dilapidated back pad. Too bad it don't come in vinyl. Problem is, then I have to figure something else out on that light issue. Change one thing, then it leads to something else.
JRust
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 30 2014, 09:09 PM) *

I stumbled across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/914-PORSCHE-Back-f...f75&vxp=mtr

This might be a good way to rid myself of that dilapidated back pad. Too bad it don't come in vinyl. Problem is, then I have to figure something else out on that light issue. Change one thing, then it leads to something else.

I've seen it done multiple times. I like it done in black as it doesn't stand out really. The light isn't a big deal. Thats an easy fix to just relocate & add a little LED light strip
Mike Bellis
You should go to the fabric store and by felt to match for $7 per yard.

I did my firewall in black. It looks pretty good.
Larmo63
I bought this item and installed it in my car. The ratty, taped up pos got thrown out and it weighs a ton, believe it or not. The car isn't any louder, and everything is cleaner. You can relocate the light under the dash if it's a big deal. I'm not running one right now.

IPB Image
partwerks
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 30 2014, 09:07 PM) *

I bought this item and installed it in my car. The ratty, taped up pos got thrown out and it weighs a ton, believe it or not. The car isn't any louder, and everything is cleaner. You can relocate the light under the dash if it's a big deal. I'm not running one right now.

IPB Image

Is that the backpad carpet kit, or the fiberglass backpad, and carpet over it? Looks nice.
Socalandy
I did mine with one piece in black and very happy with it. already ran the light wires forward in the tunnel and plan to mount the light under the dash or maybe one on each side.
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 30 2014, 08:58 PM) *

You should go to the fabric store and by felt to match for $7 per yard.

I did my firewall in black. It looks pretty good.

I'm wondering if the kit is fashioned in a way that it won't pucker around the curves, or is molded to fit?

How did you go about not having any wrinkes/puckers?
Socalandy
Go to your local upholstery shop and look at what they have. I found a fairly thick fabric to keep the silver on the sound mat from showing thru but also stretches well. Buy an over size piece and work slowly from one side to the other. A little heat helped too.
mepstein
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Aug 31 2014, 11:26 AM) *

Go to your local upholstery shop and look at what they have. I found a fairly thick fabric to keep the silver on the sound mat from showing thru but also stretches well. Buy an over size piece and work slowly from one side to the other. A little heat helped too.

Exactly what I will do to my conversion car.
I will have scatty remove the backpad brackets
Larmo63
I got my carpet from the guy in Glendale, Ca. who advertises them on eBay. They come oversize, and like Andy said, you work from the middle out. I used #90 3M spray adhesive. once the middle is placed and perfectly over the middle "hump," you're set. Use very sharp blades and take your time. I always want to work too fast and hastily.
partwerks
I plan on using the sound deadening also. I wonder if some of that lizard skin in the trunks/engine bay, would help with deadening the sound some?

The outfit I contacted on Ebay, carries it in vinyl. I'm trying to see if they can get the same color of back pad, and carpet to match.

Also, maybe some sort of rear view mirror with map lights might be the answer to getting a better position with some lighting?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-2002-camaro-f...9d8&vxp=mtr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.