Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this meant to be disassembled?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tweet
Okay, as you all know I work with 914 locks. So, I bought this early column assembly to learn about the mechanics of it; I'm more familiar with the 72-74 and 75-76 columns. I did manage to remove the ignition lock and steering lock. I had to cut off the terminal of the white wire to pull the steering lock forward and out. I do not want to cut any more wires as the steering column, ignition switch, and turn signal switch appear to be functional. How does the turn signal switch come out? Any ideas/info are welcome.
Thanks,
Dan

914itis
These are a pain to work with . The last one I disassemble is still in unassembled.

I need a new one.
Jeff Hail
Remove the cover that snaps on the back of the plug. Take a photo of the wire/color orientation from the backside (wires will be clean) . Push the pins through to lose the receptacle and then you can remove everything. The early column is tightly packaged. The horn ring and switch are screwed in. If I recall the ignition cylinder housing has a release pin and plug on the backside above the Y.
tweet
That is what I was afraid of. It did occur to me that I could pull apart the connector to separate the wires, but I hesitated at the thought of putting it all back together in the correct order.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(tweet @ Aug 31 2014, 09:43 AM) *

That is what I was afraid of. It did occur to me that I could pull apart the connector to separate the wires, but I hesitated at the thought of putting it all back together in the correct order.

be careful when you pull the top off that connector, the plastic is old and brittle, ask me how i know......... wacko.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Aug 31 2014, 12:31 PM) *

be careful when you pull the top off that connector, the plastic is old and brittle, ask me how i know......... wacko.gif

The connectors are available from Porsche if you break it.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Aug 31 2014, 11:38 AM) *

Remove the cover that snaps on the back of the plug. Take a photo of the wire/color orientation from the backside (wires will be clean) . Push the pins through to lose the receptacle and then you can remove everything. The early column is tightly packaged. The horn ring and switch are screwed in. If I recall the ignition cylinder housing has a release pin and plug on the backside above the Y.

agree.gif They are a PITA. I have a few spare early columns for my 70 IF I ever need one.
tweet
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Aug 31 2014, 01:31 PM) *

I used a putty knife to open the plastic connector, it worked like a charm. I then split the plastic sheathing on the wiring and removed all of it. I sprayed silicone on the wiring and interior of the housing where the wiring runs. I started pulling on one wire at a time (carefully) until they were all out. All of the bullet terminals came out intact. I finished up by removing the large circlip, spacer and bearing/shaft. Everything came apart without damage. The key is definitely to remove the sheathing instead of struggling with it. I think reassembly is possible in the reverse order, without the sheathing; just the individual wires. As always patience was a key component.
rudedude
I replaced mine with a later column, spliced in with a diagram found on this site and now is much easier to switch ignition switch and turn signal and wiper if necessary.
tweet
Out of the three styles of steering columns, I do prefer the 72-74. I also prefer this ignition lock as well. It is by far the easiest to work with in many respects. I think Porsche should have stuck with the 72-74 design.
orthobiz
If you need one, I have a frozen early column you can have, just PM me. You can dissect and experiment on it!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.