Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Winking Headlight"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beeliner
Everything seemed to be operating fairly well, until I turned off the lights and the left headlight cycled up and down and up and down.

I could stop it by holding it down for a moment until the motor paused.

It is as if there was a flywheel effect that carried it from cycle to cycle....

Anybody have experienced this??? confused24.gif
Olympic 914
check the linkage, mine used to go up then start back down. it was off a spline or two.

mramber
I had the same issue. Swap the relays from one light to the other and see if the problem follows. If it does then you have a bad relay, that was the case with mine
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Sep 2 2014, 06:58 PM) *

Everything seemed to be operating fairly well, until I turned off the lights and the left headlight cycled up and down and up and down.

I could stop it by holding it down for a moment until the motor paused.

It is as if there was a flywheel effect that carried it from cycle to cycle....

Anybody have experienced this??? confused24.gif

Mine does the same thing (it's the left one, too). I think it adds character smile.gif
mepstein
My 6 conversion started to wink after it took a small hit on the front left side. I wonder if it will still wink when the restoration is done.

It winked raising the headlights but not lowering.
monkeyboy
When mine did that, it was the headlight switch.
Dave_Darling
Sticky relay or bad microswitch inside the motor. I'm not sure how the linkage could cause this problem, but if someone has fixed it by adjusting the linkage it could have been the cause.

I'd start by swapping the relays left to right and see if the problem follows the relay.

--DD
toolguy
The 'park' contacts in the motor are the most likely cause. . probably dirty. . swap out for a different motor assembly. .never tried to take one apart. .
Zippy69
Check the green and grey wires on the headlight switch
914Mike
Relay is used to brake the motor at both the top and bottom position, by way of the Normally Closed contact. The other contact, Normally Open is working if the light goes up, but the N.C. contact will eventually burn out, causing the wink. Relays are mechanical, and N.C. contacts are only held in by a spring, while the N.O. is held by the magnetic force, usually much stronger, especially after the spring is 30 years old...

All the relays are the same, so if it is a relay, you can just swap it for one on the relay board. None of the other relays use the N.C. contact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.