Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: re chrome bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
Click to view attachment

Time to fix a dent and rechrome. What is the going rate for such a project? Any do or don't s?
cpavlenko
Depends if there's enough metal thickness left to re chrome. I did my front bumper last year, and the guy there said last time for the bumper. Forgot price, but he did a good job.
bdstone914
Prices vary with how much repair work is needed. Anywhere from 200 to 600 is common. Not too many chrome shops left.
ben*james
Thanks. I'll hope for more metal and less cost, ha!
cpavlenko
Metro plating, Mesa Az.
ben*james
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Sep 2 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Metro plating, Mesa Az.

Nice looking gallery....wish they were a little closer drooley.gif

I think I found a place in oregon city. Will check them out tomorrow.
TravisNeff
We did a group buy a few years ago somewhere in california. Great price, but mediocre work. If it was full price I would have sent it back for them to redo. But it was a great deal, so I chocked it up to you get what you pay for.
ben*james
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 2 2014, 08:33 PM) *

We did a group buy a few years ago somewhere in california. Great price, but mediocre work. If it was full price I would have sent it back for them to redo. But it was a great deal, so I chocked it up to you get what you pay for.

And.....what's that price? driving.gif
bdstone914
It was 175. I used that shop. Their work was crap. They left the inside of the bumpers with rust and pealing chrome. When I complained he sprayed over it with silver paint. Lost money on their work.
That dent in your bumper is pretty bad. Not sure if it is repairable.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 2 2014, 09:05 PM) *

It was 175. I used that shop. Their work was crap. They left the inside of the bumpers with rust and pealing chrome. When I complained he sprayed over it with silver paint. Lost money on their work.
That dent in your bumper is pretty bad. Not sure if it is repairable.

Yeh that was it at 175,, I would think 500 per bumper and be pretty much flawless would be about realistic..
Larmo63
Bob at Verne's (my friend) offered to do both bumpers, weld up tit holes for $1000.00. So $500 each might not be too bad….?
pete000
I was told by Vernes that the 914 bumpers are very thin and they did not like working on them very much. I wanted the tit holes welded up and he laughed at me. Said it would be too much work to be worth it. Just for a re chrome they quoted around $480.00 each...
warpig
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 2 2014, 10:12 PM) *

I was told by Vernes that the 914 bumpers are very thin and they did not like working on them very much. I wanted the tit holes welded up and he laughed at me. Said it would be too much work to be worth it. Just for a re chrome they quoted around $480.00 each...

I saw a sign that said chrome shop across the street from the steam museum in McMinnville. Been meaning to get back down there to see if they can do mine sometime. Going to have to drive down cuz I can't remember the name of it. Or maybe the guys at Obsolete know of it. Maybe we could get a GB going? idea.gif
porbmw
Daughter's front on a 74 got pronged on the side, not that different from yours, perhaps not quite as bad.

Bumper had been rechromed years ago for my prior car....and the old job was peeling/rusting in the license plate area.

Got it rechromed in Mt Vernon....recommended by another 914world member.
His name is Forest, he did a great job, took a long time....and was about $700....
But, as noted, bumper had a history,and metal IS very thin on these

IF you want the name, I have it at work, just can't recall the name at the moment.
He subsequently did my quite good front bumper, very little damage but prior/old repairi, for about 450
Paul
napasteve
FYI Rich Bontempi's High Performance House in Redwood City, CA sells new stainless steel chromed bumpers. They are a bit expensive and I have not seen one. Just sayin'.
davidahmuty
What does it take to paint the bumpers?
SKL1
Used a place in LA a few years ago for rechroming a front bumper and filling the tit holes called The Bumper Shop. Did a good job and if I remember cost less than $500 but it's been a few years.

(Will have to keep that place in Mesa in mind though as one of the 914's will live in Scottsdale.)
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 3 2014, 08:51 AM) *

Used a place in LA a few years ago for rechroming a front bumper and filling the tit holes called The Bumper Shop. Did a good job and if I remember cost less than $500 but it's been a few years.

(Will have to keep that place in Mesa in mind though as one of the 914's will live in Scottsdale.)

Look at Ogden Chrome. They pick and return ship the bumpers no charge (or it is included). I had two bumpers done there - look GREAT - and it was $700 grand total for both. I took pictures of the bumpers and sent them in. They then gave me an estimate - which is exactly what they charged me.

http://www.ogdenchrome.com/
Ferg
Bummer about the bumper. Nice car shades.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 3 2014, 06:49 AM) *

FYI Rich Bontempi's High Performance House in Redwood City, CA sells new stainless steel chromed bumpers. They are a bit expensive and I have not seen one. Just sayin'.

Rich Bontempi has a reputation as being a bit of a bandit! His stainless bumpers are $1300 each.

There's a company in Great Britain that makes the stainless bumpers and I'm sure that 's where he gets them from. Seems to me their price was in the $800-900 range per bumper.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Sep 3 2014, 08:04 PM) *

Rich Bontempi has a reputation as being a bit of a bandit! His stainless bumpers are $1300 each.

There's a company in Great Britain that makes the stainless bumpers and I'm sure that 's where he gets them from. Seems to me their price was in the $800-900 range per bumper.

Is that pound sterling? Then the mark up is reasonable.
ben*james
Thanks everyone for the great information. Sounds like the quality of work is all over the map but the price should still be under 500. Sounds reasonable. I've got a line on a local place that seems to have pretty nice work, from what I saw. http://www.sbfinishes.com

I'm going to wait a bit and soak up a few more good weeks of nice weather and then pull the bumper. I'll post before and afters just for fun.
ben*james
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 3 2014, 02:01 PM) *

Bummer about the bumper. Nice car shades.gif

It wasn't me!... confused24.gif

The car is holding up great. I've done very little to it other than add the side vinyl. Getting the bumper fixed has been on the top of my list since I picked the car up last year and I don't know why for the life of me I didn't take care of it last winter.

Yeah....nice car. Thanks. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 3 2014, 09:29 PM) *

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/part/74/...-6-bumpers.html
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2014, 11:36 PM) *

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/part/74/...-6-bumpers.html

They sell out of Hong Kong, that's why British Pounds. The bumpers are hand made in Vietnam. Not perfect but pretty good, nice thing is if they ever get dinged they can be pounded back and/or welded and polished back to new.
Stainless isn't quite as shiny as chrome.

2 bumpers here will easily run you $2500.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 3 2014, 09:58 PM) *

They sell out of Hong Kong, that's why British Pounds. The bumpers are hand made in Vietnam. Not perfect but pretty good, nice thing is if they ever get dinged they can be pounded back and/or welded and polished back to new.

I have the stainless bumpers on my red car. I bought them without front license plate holes or rear tow hook hole. If I ever wanted to add those holes I can drill it since it is stainless - can't do that with chromed steel..

Click to view attachment
ben*james
Off to the chrome shop. Details to follow.Click to view attachment
ben*james
Inside shot...Click to view attachment
ben*james
Bare breasted...in the garage....Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
QUOTE(ben*james @ Sep 17 2014, 07:41 PM) *

Bare breasted...in the garage....Click to view attachment

I have a pair that are in about the same shape as yours. I found a couple of shops here in the SF Bay Area and I need to take them for a quote. Maybe tomorrow since I have the day off. Keep us posted. I'd like to know what they charge in Portland and look forward to seeing the end results!
ben*james
I dropped the bumper off at star bright chrome in oregon city today. A few weeks ago, I swung by their shop and got a quote for 450. Today's price was 625. The owner looked at the job and pointed out the thin bumpers and work that has already been done (very thin metal). I have to admit, there is a lot of work that has been done and probably needs to be done. There was some pitting on the front and some welding on the back of the bumper. We settled on 600.

Although disappointed with the change in price; I'm in a hurry to get the bumper fixed. Right now I've got more money than time, so let's go. Shop owner said he'd have the bumper dipped twice and it would look great when complete. Pictures to follow.

If they do a great job, consider them a resource. If they f¥*# it up......
lonewolfe
QUOTE(ben*james @ Sep 19 2014, 08:59 PM) *

I dropped the bumper off at star bright chrome in oregon city today. A few weeks ago, I swung by their shop and got a quote for 450. Today's price was 625. The owner looked at the job and pointed out the thin bumpers and work that has already been done (very thin metal). I have to admit, there is a lot of work that has been done and probably needs to be done. There was some pitting on the front and some welding on the back of the bumper. We settled on 600.

Although disappointed with the change in price; I'm in a hurry to get the bumper fixed. Right now I've got more money than time, so let's go. Shop owner said he'd have the bumper dipped twice and it would look great when complete. Pictures to follow.

If they do a great job, consider them a resource. If they f¥*# it up......

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the finished bumper!
steuspeed
I need my rear bumper done too. I'm just down the road off Holgate. driving.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 4 2014, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 3 2014, 09:58 PM) *

I have the stainless bumpers on my red car. I bought them without front license plate holes or rear tow hook hole. If I ever wanted to add those holes I can drill it since it is stainless - can't do that with chromed steel..

Click to view attachment

I would not want to be the guy that drills those holes in SS.
ben*james
Click to view attachment
New chrome
ben*james
Click to view attachment

The inside....looks clean smile.gif
ben*james
Click to view attachment

Pretty....
ben*james
All done. Is it perfect?... I don't know. I'd say pretty darn close. I'm happy with it. sunglasses.gif

The dent took a lot of work to get smoothed out. 600 was probably a good deal. He chased some pits (whatever that means confused24.gif ) and did a great job making the plate holes disappear. And like that, poof, they were gone never to be seen again.

The shop is called starbright in oregon city. I was treated well and other than the price being higher than first guess and the time taking a little longer, I am very pleased. I'd do biz again with them.

Now...onto the windshield. sawzall-smiley.gif
mepstein

You can buy them direct from the manufacturer for about $1800/pr.
lonewolfe
Thanks for posting pictures of the finished results. Your bumpers look fantastic!
cary
Ben those look stunning ................
JRust
Yep those look sweet! I'm going to have to see this win person evilgrin.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2014, 06:24 PM) *

Yep those look sweet! I'm going to have to see this win person evilgrin.gif

driving.gif

Heck yes!

Ferg
Nice Job!
rick 918-S
I have a pair I need to send.
rhodyguy
shipping from the UK and related taxes/duties is prob $400.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.