Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT Pronounce this!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
This is where I go for all my trivia questions, so here goes. Long time client gets married and her new last name is Szychulda.

Origin? Pronounced? I know, just call her by her first name, but help me here IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 25 2005, 03:16 PM)
Szychulda.

shheeshooldoh

oo as in school
o as in mom

eastern europe, probably polish or Czech Republic.
i had a girl friend once with a similar last name

Sztochay

IPB Image Andy
SpecialK
How is Holly anyway?
scruz914
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 25 2005, 04:16 PM)
Szychulda.

I am going to go with: ciz chewl da IPB Image

Just ask her to pronounce it slowly and work with you. I have found that people with hard to pronounce names would rather not have you butcher it and appreciate the effort in saying it right.

Try: Piyaphichetkul
GWN7
Yep when in dought, ask.

Or call her "Mrs. Green"

A guy at work has a name like that and everyone just calls him Captain Green
smrz914
Nope not Czech.
sgomes
I had a friend who's last name was Cieciorka.

Pronounced cha-chair-ka.. IPB Image
Howard
Thanks for the hints, all. From her email:

phonetic would be: shulda and it's polish. And I thought my German last name was a pain!
smrz914
I get lots of comments about my last name. It's not that hard. Most people try to add a vowel. I was at swimming a race and the anouncer called out the names of the person in each lane. Aperantly when he got to my name he asked if I wanted to buy a vowel. IPB Image My ears were full of water so I couldn't laugh but everyone else got a kick out of it. If you pronounce it just as it's spelled you got it. IPB Image

Vowels are over rated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.