Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does it get modern music?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
My teenage daughter was riding in the 914 a couple weeks ago, and I was showing her the radio. She had never seen one with buttons and a knob to change the stations, and I explained to her that this was how car radios were when I was a kid.

She asked me: "Does it get modern music?"

smile.gif smile.gif
bluhun
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 3 2014, 01:52 AM) *

My teenage daughter was riding in the 914 a couple weeks ago, and I was showing her the radio. She had never seen one with buttons and a knob to change the stations, and I explained to her that this was how car radios were when I was a kid.

smile.gif smile.gif

What does your daughter consider to be "modern?"
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 3 2014, 04:52 AM) *

smile.gif smile.gif

Nice smile.gif

I'm pretty sure I don't "get" modern music confused24.gif
AvalonFal
At least you didn't have to explain 8-track tapes.
Cuda911
No 8-track, but I did have to show her how to use the cassette deck!
JmuRiz
Did you use the opportunity to tell her how radio signals work...that the same radio stations work on old and new radios (as long as they aren't Sirius/XM or something).

Heck, if you have an input in the back (probably what the tape deck is plugged into) you could hook up an ipod/mp3 player etc biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Actually, a lot of stations now have added digital-only signals. My MINI's radio picks those up, but not spectacularly well. Most stations also have an analog signal.

--DD
mgp4591
Did you explain to her what AM radio was, or used to be? confused24.gif
Drums66
....Children are so *profound" & logical idea.gif laugh.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 3 2014, 05:07 PM) *

Actually, a lot of stations now have added digital-only signals. My MINI's radio picks those up, but not spectacularly well. Most stations also have an analog signal.

--DD

Yeah that really stinks... HD Radio is great but the signal strength sucks
Cuda911
The reception for that old Panasonic radio is actually WAY better than I get with the $2,000 sound system in my 996. The speakers suck in the 914, but I do get tons of radio stations that tune in just fine.

As a side note, she was also confused as to how to lower the window.

When I showed her how to roll down the window, she said "Oh, I think I've seen those before" (referring to the window crank).
Larmo63
My son has an insane 4 door VW Golf R, six speeds, all the bells and whistles, very exotic street car.

He drove my 914 the other day and said "now THIS is a sports car!!!"

He loved it……………….. His car cost ten times more.
orthobiz
Actually I think her first reply is quite appropriate. I'm within striking distance of 60 yrs of age and as an orthopedic surgeon I have become accustomed to using various examples to explain things to patients. Like, if you walk with your toes pointing outward, it's like Charlie Chaplin. Or if you have a crouched gait with bent knees, like Groucho Marx.

And I assumed everyone knows these characters in pop culture. But young people don't know so many of the things I grew up with that these examples no longer apply. I think I assume because classic rocks plays all the songs I grew up with and because I'm still driving a 914 and have never grown up (in a lot of ways), then everybody must know the same things I know.

So a teenager seeing this prehistoric thing filling a hole in your dash with buttons and knobs who pondered what the heck might come out of it...I think she's spot on!!!

Paul
ripper911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 3 2014, 08:08 PM) *

My son has an insane 4 door VW Golf R, six speeds, all the bells and whistles, very exotic street car.

He drove my 914 the other day and said "now THIS is a sports car!!!"

He loved it……………….. His car cost ten times more.

aktion035.gif driving.gif bootyshake.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.