Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix doesn't work after engine rebuild...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw_porsche
I just rebuilt my 2.0 liter engine. I reinstalled the pertronix flame thrower II (wired correctly) that was working fine before. But, now it doesn't work. I installed an old distributor with points in it and it fired right up. The only difference in my engine is now I'm using NGK B6ES copper core spark plugs. I know that the pertronix distributors don't work with copper core plug wires. Would copper core spark plugs make it not work? I emailed pertronix but no response.
Harpo
I recently had to replace my pertronix and they were very helpful both by phone and by email. When mine was fried you could see small (2-3mm) hot spots on the sticker.

Good luck

David
vw_porsche
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 3 2014, 06:45 PM) *

I recently had to replace my pertronix and they were very helpful both by phone and by email. When mine was fried you could see small (2-3mm) hot spots on the sticker.

Good luck

David

I know that I hooked it back up correctly. I've always been worried about toasting it. I even checked it just to see if maybe the wires touched or something, but it looks fine. Anyone know a way to test one?

Thanks,
Jon
stugray
A couple of ignition troubleshooting tricks I have learned:

To take the distributor out of the ignition picture:

Hook a plug wire directly into the coil HT socket.
Lay spark plug down on case, turn on ignition, and crank.
Do you get a spark?
Yes- then the points & coil are working.
No, then the points(/condensor) or coil are bad.

Hook the wire back to the distributor, hook the HT lead back to the coil.
Crank,
Do you get a spark?

Next test is the pertronix module directly:
unhook the black lead from the coil (-).
Hook a Multi-meter (in resistance mode) between the black wire and the case.
Turn the distributor (or crank it).
As the dist turns, you should see the resistance meter change from a high resistance to something much lower.
Dont worry if it doesnt seem to be dipping all the way to zero ohms.
if you turn the dist all the way around, and see 4 "dips", then the pertronix is likely working.

You can also put an idiot light (with a bulb) across the coil (-) to ground and crank it with everything hooked up normally.
The light should blink as you crank it.
(Dont try that with a multimeter or LED based noid light - you can fry it).
vw_porsche
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 3 2014, 08:42 PM) *

A couple of ignition troubleshooting tricks I have learned:

To take the distributor out of the ignition picture:

Hook a plug wire directly into the coil HT socket.
Lay spark plug down on case, turn on ignition, and crank.
Do you get a spark?
Yes- then the points & coil are working.
No, then the points(/condensor) or coil are bad.

Hook the wire back to the distributor, hook the HT lead back to the coil.
Crank,
Do you get a spark?

Next test is the pertronix module directly:
unhook the black lead from the coil (-).
Hook a Multi-meter (in resistance mode) between the black wire and the case.
Turn the distributor (or crank it).
As the dist turns, you should see the resistance meter change from a high resistance to something much lower.
Dont worry if it doesnt seem to be dipping all the way to zero ohms.
if you turn the dist all the way around, and see 4 "dips", then the pertronix is likely working.

You can also put an idiot light (with a bulb) across the coil (-) to ground and crank it with everything hooked up normally.
The light should blink as you crank it.
(Dont try that with a multimeter or LED based noid light - you can fry it).

Thanks man!!
That helps a lot! biggrin.gif
But, just to clarify. Are you saying use something like a test light from the - side of the coil to a ground like the battery ground? That should blink?
turk22
did you take the magnet off the shaft? Make sure its fully seated on the shaft, that happened to me, with no spark, until I reseated the magnet.
vw_porsche
QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 3 2014, 09:45 PM) *

did you take the magnet off the shaft? Make sure its fully seated on the shaft, that happened to me, with no spark, until I reseated the magnet.

Another great idea!
Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.