Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turning a modified 914-6 back close to original
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914six
I own 2 914-6 (authentic) cars. 1 is slightly modified with some upgrades to make it more usable and perform a bit better.

My other car (Big Red) is a highly modified 1970 914-6 (in GT form). evilgrin.gif I have always wanted to pull off the upgrades and put the original engine back in, etc. This car currently is running a 911 3.6 twin plug from a 964. Below is a list of some upgrades.

• Porsche 964 engine
• 50mm PMO Webers
• Electromotive twin-plug crank fire ignition
• Aase RSR valve springs, titanium retainers
• Web Euro-spec camshafts
• Patrick Motorsports Jet-hot coated racing headers and sport muffler
• 901 side-shift gear box with 904 main shaft and short gears
• MOMO competizione shift knob
• Automation billet aluminum intermediate plate
• 225mm Patrick Motorsports lightweight clutch
• Patrick Motorsport RSR aluminum flywheel
• Quaiffe LSD and billet side-plates
• Automotion solid transmission mounts
• B&B 930 front mounted engine oil cooler with thermostat
• 911SC front suspension with aluminum cross brace
• Porsche (Big Red) Twin Turbo front and rear brakes
• Pagid racing brake pads
• 23mm Gun-drilled front torsion bars
• 930 tie rods
• Charley front sway bar
• Porsche Factory rear sway bar
• Porsche RSR threaded front Bilstein struts and sport valve shocks
• Eibach rear coil over springs
• Automotion adjustable monoball upper strut mounts
• Poly-graphite suspension bushings
• 19mm Master cylinder
• Kinesis 17 X 8 and 17 X 9 ½ three piece racing wheels (polished)
• Fresh Goodyear Eagle F1 tires
• 914-6GT chassis stiffening kit
• 914-6GT boxed rear suspension
• Porsche Factory GT precision butt-welded steel flares
• Composite front and rear deck lids
• Factory GT composite racing seats
• MOMO prototipo steering wheel
• SPA fire system
• Porsche Factory fuel tank with Patrick Motorsports fuel – safe cell
• Martin Baker vintage exterior fuel cap
• New factory interior
• Bell seat belts
• Rennline Pedal box
• Adjustable brake bias with hydraulic e brake
• Racing mirrors

Pretty insane build back in the day. According to the PO, the build had over $125,000 in costs and upgrades. I've never priced them out, but I will say there is a lot of great work. The car is rock solid in itself.

Rebuilding the original 2.0 would cost some money, as would removing and replacing many other parts to bring it back close to original.

If the 3.6 engine and all of the performance parts were taken off, is there a market for it. I am just trying to gauge the market to see if my restoration cost could be offset with the sale of the parts. I simply do not know that space well.

Any guesses?

My other avenue might be a very reputable restoration shop first.gif who would do the makeover in exchange for all of the parts. Could be a deal for someone. But I win too as my 914-6 is more valuable in original build.

Thanks.
PotterPorsche
What are looking at for the 3.6? I had to at least ask
SirAndy
That's a big can-o-worms ...

From past experience, i'd say *if* you're lucky (big IF here) you might be able to get $0.30/$1.00 for each of the good parts you have.
That is for the desirable things like the suspension/brakes or the tranny with the LSD.
Other stuff will be pennies on the dollar.

If you're thinking about making money by bringing it back to original, you might have to wait a while until prices get even higher than they are today.
smile.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Sep 3 2014, 06:22 PM) *

What are looking at for the 3.6? I had to at least ask

Fair question. I have no clue. I don't have anything yet for sale. I don't know if there is even a market. These things tend to be very arbitrary. mad.gif

I don't know if this road is possible. I had a Porsche collector offer $15,000 for my 911S 2.2 engine with MFI, etc. I should have taken it and put that cars original engine back in, but I was enjoying the performance and ride too much. And who knows if he would have come through. dry.gif

I respect the knowledge base here. I am guessing some folks may have taken this road before, so I could learn from their attempts.
dw914six
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2014, 06:35 PM) *

That's a big can-o-worms ...

From past experience, i'd say *if* you're lucky (big IF here) you might be able to get $0.30/$1.00 for each of the good parts you have.
That is for the desirable things like the suspension/brakes or the tranny with the LSD.
Other stuff will be pennies on the dollar.

If you're thinking about making money by bringing it back to original, you might have to wait a while until prices get even higher than they are today.
smile.gif

And add to it the time and grief of selling parts. Not particularly attractive.

Appreciate the input. Probably spot on.
mepstein
Unless you have a big parts stash, you will need a lot to take it back to orig. There's really a lot of big and small things particular to a real 6. There is a very good thread on this site devoted to the differences. Will you remove flares and all the stiff kits? I agree with Andy, doesn't sound like a money maker but if you have your heart set on it, it's your car do do what you please.
Mike Bellis
Almost like you should sell it as is and buy a stock one...
brant
Give up
Larmo63
I agree with Mike, sell the sizzle to some hotshot and buy an more easily redeemable car.
MoveQik
Is that Callicot's old car? If so, that car was an amazing build. I would agree with the others that you would be better off selling it for top dollar and finding a more original six to start with. FWIW.
dw914six
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 3 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Is that Callicot's old car? If so, that car was an amazing build. I would agree with the others that you would be better off selling it for top dollar and finding a more original six to start with. FWIW.

Yes, it is his old car.

The opinions are consistent, which is what I hoped for.

Seems a shame to have the car as basically a race car. If it were me, I would only do that to a conversion. The intent on this car I think was to make it as close to a real GT as possible.

I have a much more original six I drive mostly. So not looking for another. Was just thinking I could bring her back and break even on costs to do so. Appears not to be possible.

Thanks.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dw914six @ Sep 3 2014, 10:07 PM) *

I own 2 914-6 (authentic) cars. 1 is slightly modified with some upgrades to make it more usable and perform a bit better.

My other car (Big Red) is a highly modified 1970 914-6 (in GT form). evilgrin.gif I have always wanted to pull off the upgrades and put the original engine back in, etc. This car currently is running a 911 3.6 twin plug from a 964. Below is a list of some upgrades.

• Porsche 964 engine
• 50mm PMO Webers
• 930 tie rods
• Charley front sway bar
• 19mm Master cylinder
• SPA fire system
• New factory interior
• Bell seat belts
• Rennline Pedal box
• Racing mirrors

Pretty insane build back in the day. According to the PO, the build had over $125,000 in costs and upgrades. I've never priced them out, but I will say there is a lot of great work. The car is rock solid in itself.

Rebuilding the original 2.0 would cost some money, as would removing and replacing many other parts to bring it back close to original.

If the 3.6 engine and all of the performance parts were taken off, is there a market for it. I am just trying to gauge the market to see if my restoration cost could be offset with the sale of the parts. I simply do not know that space well.

Any guesses?

My other avenue might be a very reputable restoration shop first.gif who would do the makeover in exchange for all of the parts. Could be a deal for someone. But I win too as my 914-6 is more valuable in original build.

Thanks.

Holy crap....Why confused24.gif

Sell it and buy a nice stock /6...sounds like you're too old for that car anyways poke.gif
slits.gif
mepstein
Pictures of big red?
carr914
QUOTE(dw914six @ Sep 4 2014, 04:09 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 3 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Yes, it is his old car.

The opinions are consistent, which is what I hoped for.

Seems a shame to have the car as basically a race car. If it were me, I would only do that to a conversion. The intent on this car I think was to make it as close to a real GT as possible.

I have a much more original six I drive mostly. So not looking for another. Was just thinking I could bring her back and break even on costs to do so. Appears not to be possible.

Thanks.

Since you have another -6, I wouldn't go take this car back to Stock. Way too much work and while the Parts on the great, you won't get back what they are worth.
Woody
Can you post some pictures? beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I think there's comparable value to a 3.6 conversion and an uptick being a real /6 chassis. Makes no sense to undo that working value to chase some dollars because that rabbit hole will cost you and still won't be original unless you have the case and a darn good body guy.

Personally, a highly modded /6 is worth more to me than a real /6 because of the drive alone.
CptTripps
agree.gif with everyone else. Sell it as-is....buy another 6.
RON S.
QUOTE(dw914six @ Sep 3 2014, 06:07 PM) *

• Porsche 964 engine
• 50mm PMO Webers
• 930 tie rods
• Charley front sway bar
• 19mm Master cylinder
• SPA fire system
• New factory interior
• Bell seat belts
• Rennline Pedal box
• Racing mirrors

Any guesses?

Thanks.

In the FWIW department, I'll chime in w/my 2c's worth. Don't take nuttin to serious.

Your PO says 125k in costs for the build. For some perspective, Your build list is almost identical to my -6, with the exception of my car using a 993eng/915 trans, w/a Bott 916 kit. Did full rebuilds on both.

I didn't have 125k to spare so I bought only what I needed as I went. Did EVERY bit of work and engineering myself. (I do punch a time clock every morning.)

I mostly bought project items used from other guys abandoned projects, and only buying new when absolutely necessary. Took 12+ years to put her back on the road. Saved every receipt, for the next owner. My out of pocket is no more than a 1/3 of that 125k, car included.

I can't see 125k in the car unless it just handed over to someone, and once a week, checks were written for the work. It'd be easy to understand that tall number if that was the case. 1/3 parts, 2/3's paid in labor. In my case, labor was all me.

Pulling it apart, and selling pieces off 1 at a time, I can see you getting 20-30k if you market your adds efficiently.
Then the revert back to a 2.0 will be up to you to decide. Mine was an easy decision to hotrod, as it was a Euro car to start, and didn't even have an engine or transmission with it when I bought.
Anyway, you gotta do what you feel is best.. I don't have any regrets on mine..
Cheers
CptTripps
Another thought...

There MAY be someone willing to trade you heads-up.

...food for thought anyway.
carr914
Another thought from me

Instead of taking Parts off & selling them for pennies on the Dollar, get a solid 914-4 that you can make a conversion out with those parts. Then sell that, I think you would recover a higher % of your money back
Jonathan Livesay
On the other hand it is a noble ambition to return a rare car such as that to stock condition. To show that my heart is in the right place, I would give you 2 grand for all that old junk you have to take off in order to restore it properly. That should get you started finding the right stuff. evilgrin.gif
SirAndy
There are plenty of pictures of the car here on the site.

It used to belong to the late Dan Callicott (aka as xitspd )
smile.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 4 2014, 08:03 AM) *

Another thought from me

Instead of taking Parts off & selling them for pennies on the Dollar, get a solid 914-4 that you can make a conversion out with those parts. Then sell that, I think you would recover a higher % of your money back

That is exactly what the PO was considering doing. agree.gif Good idea. But as a previous post suggested, much of the build cost of this car was probably labor. Restoring it would include labor costs for me. I am not qualified nor have the time myself, so I would pay for the work.

I also like the idea of trading for an original to someone who prefers the additional performance.

Appreciate the good input.
iamchappy
I think it would be a shame to change the car that Dan created, the fact that it is a 6 only makes it that more special, many 6" s were chopped and made into race cars, Dan's creatation is a master piece that needs to be appreciated for what it is.
dw914six
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 4 2014, 04:47 PM) *

I think it would be a shame to change the car that Dan created, the fact that it is a 6 only makes it that more special, many 6" s were chopped and made into race cars, Dan's creatation is a master piece that needs to be appreciated for what it is.

Ok, that makes it a little better. Glad to hear the perspective. beerchug.gif

I have been looking at it as why would someone change an original. It was what it was and it's the time travel back to the day that is really cool to me.

agree.gif But you are right in that he did one major good job of creating a road beast that is also beautiful.
PanelBilly
I think it would be smarter to rebuild the original engine (if you still have it), transmission. Then acquire a front and rear quarter panels and OEM front suspension and package them with the car, so a future owner would have the right materials to make it stock again.
dw914six
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 4 2014, 06:32 PM) *

I think it would be smarter to rebuild the original engine (if you still have it), transmission. Then acquire a front and rear quarter panels and OEM front suspension and package them with the car, so a future owner would have the right materials to make it stock again.

I do have the matching numbers engine block and transmission. I have a good parts car (1971).

I like your thinking. idea.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 4 2014, 07:47 PM) *

agree.gif X100 Dan's is awesome as is!
Mike Bellis
wub.gif
Click to view attachment
smj
The modifications to my -6 are modest enough that I understand why people suggest reverting them. For something as comprehensive, and more importantly as well done as this car, I don't think it makes any sense.

This seems like the kind of well-executed evolution of a car that winds up years later being known as "the Callicott 914-6" when it shows up at a concours or similar venue. It shows what an ideal and comprehensive upgrade would look and feel like, and how it would have been done, at a particular point in time. There's a need to preserve that kind of thing as well, and that isn't invalidated just because the car started as a -6 rather than a -4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.