Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: purchasing a 2.7 for the 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
yay.... i think
PanelBilly
Tell more
Cfletch
haha I'm in the process of purchasing a supposedly recently rebuilt 74 2.7l. has all the bells and whistles done to it to make it a decent engine minus the upgraded chain tensioners. I of course want to put this into my 1970 and am starting the infinite research needed to convert the car. 1st step in my mind is acquiring the engine as it will give me the moral to continue the rest of the work (hopefully).
Dr Evil
I love the 74 2.7 I had in my 73. I put SC cams in it and rebuilt it. That was it. CIS was kept, too. Great fun, not too expensive, good balance, works well with stock transmission, no oil cooler.

I am always dubious when I hear, "recently rebuilt". By whom? Receipts?
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2014, 09:10 AM) *

I love the 74 2.7 I had in my 73. I put SC cams in it and rebuilt it. That was it. CIS was kept, too. Great fun, not too expensive, good balance, works well with stock transmission, no oil cooler.

agree.gif define " rebuilt" Were wear parts simply looked and and re-installed ?. Were parts replaced with NEW parts, or simply good condition used parts ? Was the rebuild done by a shop, or some dude with a basement and some free time after his day job ? mellow.gif
matthepcat
Slippery slope. Just start with a 3.2....you will want more power.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 4 2014, 01:14 PM) *

agree.gif define " rebuilt" Were wear parts simply looked and and re-installed ?. Were parts replaced with NEW parts, or simply good condition used parts ? Was the rebuild done by a shop, or some dude with a basement and some free time after his day job ? mellow.gif

Yup, to me a rebuilt engine means new bearings, chains, possibly tensioners, check of crank and rods and issues addressed, case checked, top end disassembled and inspected, new oil pump if needed ($$), new seals, rings, cylinder inspected and honed. I think that is it.... blink.gif
Dr Evil
BTW, I have a /6 oil tank I will sell you if you want wink.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Sep 4 2014, 12:50 PM) *

haha I'm in the process of purchasing a supposedly recently rebuilt 74 2.7l. has all the bells and whistles done to it to make it a decent engine minus the upgraded chain tensioners. I of course want to put this into my 1970 and am starting the infinite research needed to convert the car. 1st step in my mind is acquiring the engine as it will give me the moral to continue the rest of the work (hopefully).

I saw that add and it looks to be a good engine if it is as stated, also I think that guy has a good rep.

Price is great, I would have bit but I am building a 75 2.7 myself and I know it will come in alot more than that.

Good Luck on your journey

John
bigkensteele
I just tore apart a 74 2.7 core that I bought. Internals look very good, and the cylinders are nickasyl - yea! Right now, I am struggling with what to do for induction. If I do a stock rebuild with ported heads and CIS, I will be lucky to get 175 hp, which is about 100 more than the 1.8 I currently have. However, I think that I want more, which means either carbs (and new cams and pistons) or EFI (and new cams and pistons). Either way, I am going to have to pay to play, but I can't decide if I want the headache of carbs or the headache of dialing in Megasquirt or something similar.
bigkensteele

I was under the impression that non-turbo CIS cams were all equal. Are SC cams "hotter" than 74 - 77 cams?

Did you ever do any DEs or autocross with no oil cooler? I really don't want to do the plumbing for one, but everything that I am reading says that 2.7 and above need an external cooler.

BTW, have you moved to OH yet? You will only be about 80 miles away from all of us cool Cincinnati guys, so you can help me rebuild my 2.7 AND take a look at this nasty sore that just won't heal!
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 4 2014, 01:14 PM) *

idea.gif I thought the definition of word rebuilt was already discussed here?

lol-2.gif
larryM
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 4 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Slippery slope. Just start with a 3.2....you will want more power.

X2 -

a stock 88-89 3.2 with motronic is 217hp - with more torque than you will ever need

or - with a easy to swap $50 Innovative chip - "Horse Power Gain (peak): +22 HP, +20 TORQUE, Red-Line Raised: +400 RPM, - Speed limiter removed" (yes i have one)

imho 3.2 is cheaper to build, & to install in a conversion, than a "done right" 2.7 with webers (yes, i used to run one - have sold off most of it)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.