Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper Suggestions for 5 Lug System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sfreeman615
Doing the 5 lug conversion and wondering about which calipers to get? Considering having Eric at PMB rebuild my existing calipers, but wanting to know what other options are out there when going from a 4 lug rotors to 5 lug rotors! Any info is much appreciated!!!
brant
usually the 5 lug is done by replacing with 911 suspension
use the calipers that fit the year suspension you buy

Eric gives good advice
he will probably tell you to use the M calipers

brant
jgara962
agree.gif

Call Eric.
Sfreeman615
I bought the 5 lug conversion from Eric. I need calipers ASAP, getting thru PMB will take weeks. I need them in days.
colingreene
I still say call him and ask.
you never know what he might have ready to go.
cgnj
Hi,

How is your front suspension setup? Drilled rotors = stock. I have done borh SC and M struts on the front of my car. For 4 cylinder cars I think M struts are the way to go.

Carlos
Dave_Darling
There were two main types of 911 struts used that will fit 914s. One of them has caliper bolt holes that are 3" on center, the other has 3.5" on center holes. Which you have will determine your brake choices.

If you have the 3" ones, you have to get M calipers. No other stock 911 calipers have the 3" bolt spacing.

If you have the 3.5" ones, you can get either S or A calipers. The S are lighter but much more expensive.

If you go with aftermarket options, there are dozens to choose from.

--DD
Mblizzard
Steve did you replace the struts on your car with those from a 911 or are you having stock rotors drilled to the 5-bolt pattern?

See this article http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._conversion.htm
Sfreeman615
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 5 2014, 11:25 AM) *

Steve did you replace the struts on your car with those from a 911 or are you having stock rotors drilled to the 5-bolt pattern?

See this article http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._conversion.htm

Stock rotors drilled on the front, as they come in the PMB 5 lug conversion package. If I ever receive them that is smile.gif
Dave_Darling
If you're using stock rotors, then you need stock calipers. Or the BMW calipers, but that's not really an upgrade IMHO. The 911 calipers are made for vented rotors, which are about three or four times as thick as the solid rotors that the -4 cars have.

So use the stock brake calipers.

--DD
Montreal914
Eric Shea has a nice thread explaining the different options based on car, driving style, and budget. first.gif

Personally, I'm going with 911 M strut (~3" spacing) and Brembo caliper from early 80's Alfa Milano. They have the same piston size and pad size as the "S" calipers and are made of aluminum. They bold right on and Eric sells the hard lines that goes between the caliper and the strut.

Good luck with your project. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.