Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft endplay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
The various Rear main seal brands differ in thickness. The victor reinz seal extends past the lip of the case in my engine but the ehlring brand one does not.

My understanding is that I should set end play without a rear seal installed. But depending on the seal used I'll get a different endplay measure when it's all put back together. Does this matter?
Jon H.
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 5 2014, 09:01 AM) *

The various Rear main seal brands differ in thickness. The victor reinz seal extends past the lip of the case in my engine but the ehlring brand one does not.

My understanding is that I should set end play without a rear seal installed. But depending on the seal used I'll get a different endplay measure when it's all put back together. Does this matter?

Nope, seal thickness doesn't effect endplay. I believe you set the endplay without the seal only to minimize the potential of damaging the seal by installing and removing the flywheel several times.

Jon H.
Jake Raby
I do this measurement without the seal, so there's no chance of the values being impacted.. BUT if the seal depth is properly set the seal should not create any differences in the readings.

The 914 flywheel does have a raised center and IF the seal depth is not proper the seal will contact this raised center and will impact the end play values
rjames
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 5 2014, 11:18 AM) *

I do this measurement without the seal, so there's no chance of the values being impacted.. BUT if the seal depth is properly set the seal should not create any differences in the readings.

The 914 flywheel does have a raised center and IF the seal depth is not proper the seal will contact this raised center and will impact the end play values

There are at least 2 brands of seals that when properly seated protrude slightly from the engine case which would impact endplay values if endplay is measured with the seal installed. Like if you want to check endplay while you have the transmission out but don't need to replace the seal.
Examples of different seals:
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=535
I recall a thread where someone was having end play issues and Jake echoed this. But I don't remember what his advice was. I'm looking for the thread now.
TheCabinetmaker
I've gone to the sabo brand of seal. The spring is much bigger and stronger for a better seal on the crank side where it leaks. I believe i've read the cap'n mention this brand also.
Cap'n Krusty
If the seal is installed, there's a good chance you'll damage it when you remove the shim pack to adjust the thickness. In real life, it often requires more than one try, increasing the chances of damage even more.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.