Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Old Land Rovers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tesserra
I came across an old Land Rover that a friends dad has in storage. It is pretty clean, model IIa, Real funky.
It has all original runnig gear except the engine has been replaced with a GM Iron Duke 4cyl.
Anyone know what to look for in these? IPB Image
What costs lot of money to repair?
I want it for a weekend toy.
I have always liked these, it looks like a Defender 90.

Lets hear it,
George
URY914
There are LR forums just like the bunch of wackos we have here. IPB Image

Look them up.

Paul
Rhodes71/914
Yes buy it they are great. Spent a few months living in Costa Rica a few year ago and they were everywhere. Mostly around the year you are talking about. They are fairly straight forward to work on but I don't know what to tell you about parts.

What does he want for it?

I hope to still have my '94 Discovery in 2022. IPB Image
lapuwali
If it still has the original gearbox, there's a good chance it's a no-synchro crashbox. I can't remember when they switched that (S1 to S2, or what). If they switched engines, they probably switched gearboxes, too.

Loud and slow is my impression of them. Riding in an open Jeep is downright comfy in comparison.
tesserra
All drivetrain is original and in the original location. It has both tops and a tailgate and a rear door for when the hardtop is on.
I will check out Land Rover sites too.
Thanks,
George
airsix
My Dad had one.

It was always breaking leaf springs.
It had a top speed of 50mph.
On cold mornings if the engine didn't catch right away you'd have to pull all the plugs and dry the condensation off them or the engine wouldn't start.
It leaked.
It was noisy.
Poor handling.
English electricals.

He absolutely LOVED it. Wishes he still had it. Don't blame him. It was COOL.

-Ben M.

ps - the PTO and snorkle were cool too.
mrobin
hi
yes. they are a typical british auto...
slow..leak...break down a lot..bad electronics.
but..very easy to work on... the one thing to look out for is rust..although the body panels are aluminum all the rest (especially the undercairage) is british steel and prone to the rust worm.
SpecialK
Had a buddy in Colo. that had one with a 350 Cheby in it. Loved it!
larryp
A partner of mine has a 1975 Series III; he reports he has had very few problems. These are relatively easy and cheap to repair and run. They are very much in demand now and are all great, fun weekend trucks.

Check LRX.com and call or e-mail Land Rovers North in Vermont for info.
Gint
IPB Image
Flat VW
Any old Land Rover (Range Rover)should have the spare fastened to the hood and have at least two Rhino dents!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
eitnurg
To a purist the Series 2 was the last "proper" Land Rover, with a wire mesh radiator grille that is removable so it can be placed over your camp fire, and the metal dash (or "no dash"!) full of metal nooks & crannies just right for removing the tops from beer bottles. The tops fall into the footwell where they can be kicked outside when you next open the door..........

It should have a non-synchro first gear, which is actually a good thing as the fully-synchro box in the S3 was weaker. I've no idea what an Iron Duke is, but the only real weak spot in the drivetrain are the rear halfshafts, but they're a doddle to replace anyway.

The bulkhead and chassis rust, the rear crossmember and all the outriggers are the first to go but anything near the engine/transmission is usually ok due to the constant oil-bath. Galvanised replacement chassis are available. Check all oil levels regularly, gearbox, transfer box, both axles.......

Electrics by the Prince of Darkness, but there's very few electrics anyway.........

Overdrives are/were available, or you can change the diffs to raise the gearing. If freewheel hubs are fitted, check the front swivels as the FWH mean that they won't have been lubricated properly.
This is a good UK-based forum:LRE

And the more dents the better. Have fun!
fiid
The best thing about Land Rovers is the airodynamics. Apparently in a V8 land rover you can make a Mini jump about a lane sideways in the nose wake if you pass them close at like 90.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.