Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running too rich!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben and Ralph
So just got back from the run with some of the guys this morning and everyone was saying i'm running too rich. I do burn through gas pretty quickly and I have barely any pick up if at all going up hill. I am no mechanic but I am a fast learner and i really want to tackle this problem. What's the first thing i should do/check? This is my set up: dual solex carbs, I believe they are 38sClick to view attachment
Mblizzard
What engine? You really need a air fuel meter to set things correctly..

I would check your fuel pressure, float levels, and clean out all of your jets.

Ben and Ralph
It was a 1.7 bored to a 1.8, so I should take it to VW shop maybe? ask if they have a meter to test it? are cleaning out the the jets something i can do on my own?
Ben and Ralph
I have close to 0 knowledge about carbs, and i'm wondering if anyone knows a shop or some one here in southern california that could help me out with this problem and I could learn more about them in the process.
Mblizzard
Well I am not sure how long you have been driving with carbs but they usually require some maintenance to keep them running well,

So I think you will want to learn how to adjust them at some point. But it may be worth the money to have them set by someone that is knowledgeable and go from there.

You can by a air fuel gauge and have it installed. Worth the money for sure. It will tell you when things are going amiss with your carbs before you get to the point of having no power.

Search for the weber tech guide and buy a copy. It is an old book but has the best information on adjusting carbs. You will also need a snail gauge to ensure the carbs are balanced.

Pull your plugs and see where they fall on the chart below.

Click to view attachment
PotterPorsche
You first need to identify what size solex carbs you have. looks like single throat 34's. Then you need to determine what jets you have. There is an idle jet and main gas jet and an air jet. Do you know where the air fuel mixture screw is? I see your in LA area. There are alot vw shops that can probably set this up for you.
colingreene
Hey i am in Southern California, and might be able to help. Shoot me a PM and lets talk about it.
Ben and Ralph
So I looked on the side of the carburetor and they are solex h40/44e. carbs
I had a vw shop install them, and the same one replaced one of the needles about two months ago. I could go back and pay more money to band-aid the problem and potentially not solve it. But I'd rather meet up with a trusted 914 guy that can also show me how they work and how to maintain them.
76-914
icon_bump.gif So did you get with Collin or someone to get this corrected, yet?
7TPorsh
I'm having the same issues with my Webers...are you all around L.A. area?
Ben and Ralph
I'm in the Pasadena area. No, he hasn't messaged me back yet. Bruce Stone also recommend someone to contact and I left him a message. Hopefully they get back to me soon. My last plan involves going to this VW shop I guess they specialize in my carbs. However, I doubt they have the time to sit down and show me whats going on and how they work, their adjustment, ect.. Also what they charge.
76-914
I can't believe the carb guru's aren't chiming in yet. Someone will be along and help you with this. Don't go back to a shop yet. Just keep this on page 1 and someone will see it.
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 10 2014, 07:30 PM) *

I can't believe the carb guru's aren't chiming in yet. Someone will be along and help you with this. Don't go back to a shop yet. Just keep this on page 1 and someone will see it.

Thanks for the motivation! Hopefully i'll be able to solve this problem soon. Just keep burning up gas. Hows the 914/subie monster doing?
PotterPorsche
kaddie shack knows there stuff . These are called kadrons in the vw world. these are really simple to adjust. do you have the balance tube that came stock with kadrons. its either a metal pipe or a hose that connects the manifolds. AJ at www.lowbugget.com knows kadrons very well . AJ is the one who perfected kadrons. I also have about 7 of these carbs. here is the link on how to adjust!!!

http://www.lowbugget.com/main_page.html

go to carb help section on the left column on the page above

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.