Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorta OT: Need autobody tool alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kafermeister
I don't have a regular need for one and can't see spending the $$$ just to use a shrinker-stretcher for a few weeks. The cheapest I've seen was about $170 for one tool with both the streching and shrinking jaws. Of course, you have to stop working to change the jaws. I can't work like that. I'm too easily distracted and loose concentration.

Is there an alternative that isn't so pricy? Maybe a home-brew solution?

For reference, this is the tool that I'm talking about.

EastwoodCo Shrinker Stretcher

R
TimT
I have that tool, and it doesnt take that long to change the jaws 30 secs maybe.. Its a very useful tool
kafermeister
Thanks for your input Tim. I still may buy that tool. Haven't ruled it out completely.

R
John Kelly
Hi Rick,

You can stretch and shrink without that handy little set What are trying to do exactly?

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
kafermeister
I'm trying to form the top of the Long under the battery up against the inner fenderwell.

I was going to put the lip on a long section of sheet metal and *then* bend it to the contour of the top of the frame before I welded it in.

I also need to do some surgery on an early aftermarket engine shelf.

I guess I could cut, relieve and weld but that's not a graceful solution as I was looking for.

R
iiibdsiil
I am confused as to what you would use this tool for. Real life example please?
John Kelly
QUOTE (kafermeister @ Jan 26 2005, 08:22 AM)
I'm trying to form the top of the Long under the battery up against the inner fenderwell.

I was going to put the lip on a long section of sheet metal and *then* bend it to the contour of the top of the frame before I welded it in.

I also need to do some surgery on an early aftermarket engine shelf.

I guess I could cut, relieve and weld but that's not a graceful solution as I was looking for.

R

Rick,

You can gather up the metal with a tucking tool (you can make one) and shrink with a hammer, or you can stretch by simply hitting the metal while it is backed up by a steel plate or dolly (helps to have a very small contact area on the hammer). My DVD (shameless plug) has little bit on stretching a flange with a hammer and dolly to make a panel move the way you want it to.

I've got to run right now, but if you have some pictures of what you are working on, I'll let you know how I would do it.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
kafermeister
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Jan 26 2005, 01:45 PM)

Let me see if I can explain it a bit without making it more confusing.

I found some pics on the internet what may help me explain what I'm trying to do.

I want to go from a piece of metal shaped like this...
IPB Image

To a shape like either this...

IPB Image

or this...

IPB Image

If I had a piece that was longer on one side, I could make the shape match the frame section under the battery, and weld the short section to the inner fenderwell and have a factory looking part.

R
kafermeister
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Jan 26 2005, 02:02 PM)
You can gather up the metal with a tucking tool (you can make one) and shrink with a hammer...

That's what I need to do. I need to shrink the flange so the panel bends in the proper shape. I figured there would be a way to do it with a shrinking hammer. Got any tips on how to make a tucking tool?
TimT

I made this flange to rebuild part of the front suspension on my 911, its hard to see in the pic, but that is curved at almost 90 deg away from the camera
iiibdsiil
Thanks guys. I might be able to use that one day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.