Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Issue: only starts when clutch pedal is mashed to the floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcsellie
I'm new to the 914 world (have a 930 turbo) and need a little help. The car will not start until the clutch pedal is mashed to the floorboard, almost like it has a bad clutch switch (don't think they have them). Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Is there a switch on the transmission side that is tripped when the clutched is depressed that needs adjusting?

Blaine
cary
Need more details on the no start.
Car is turning over?

And no there aren't switches. Clutch really has nothing to do with starting.
Except unless clutch cable is wrapped around the accelerator cable in the center tube. Or your clutch is so far out of adjustment that your trying to start it with the transmission engaged. Does it do the same thing with the transmission in neutral?
bcsellie
Thanks Cary... Turn the key to start, no click, no noise, no turning over. Press the clutch deeper into the floor boards and the starter begins to engage. This occurs when the car is in neutral as well.

Clutch operates as it normally should when started. Frustrating!

Is the clutch pedal creating a ground when its mashed to the floor to engage the starter?
stugray
QUOTE(bcsellie @ Sep 7 2014, 10:01 AM) *

Is the clutch pedal creating a ground when its mashed to the floor to engage the starter?

That is the only thing that makes sense.

Check/replace the ground strap from the back of the tranny to the chassis.
Dave_Darling
That is possible--and if that's what it is doing, it won't last long.

Scoot under the rear of the car and look at the top of the transmission's tail cone. There should be a wide braided metal strap from one of the studs holding the tail cone on to a stud on the underside of the trunk floor. That is the ground path for the starter--and most other engine-mounted things as well. If the strap is missing or not well connected, the throttle or clutch cable can become the ground path, which is very sub-optimal.

--DD
bcsellie
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 7 2014, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(bcsellie @ Sep 7 2014, 10:01 AM) *

That is the only thing that makes sense.

Check/replace the ground strap from the back of the tranny to the chassis.

I replaced that yesterday, no change.....
Jmkorfha
I think you are on the right track to check the grounds. This car has a long and sordid history with ground issues. To verify, use a good set of jumper cables and attach one end to the battery negative post and another to the engine case.(you only need the negative clamps). If the car then starts, clean and/or replace the ground strap and contact points from the rear of the transmission up to the body.
bcsellie
QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ Sep 7 2014, 09:14 AM) *

I think you are on the right track to check the grounds. This car has a long and sordid history with ground issues. To verify, use a good set of jumper cables and attach one end to the battery negative post and another to the engine case.(you only need the negative clamps). If the car then starts, clean and/or replace the ground strap and contact points from the rear of the transmission up to the body.

Good idea. I'll try the cable from the battery to engine case as a test, then check all grounds, including battery negative to hell hole wall. I'll report back with my finding...thanks.
Mike Bellis
The main electrical harness to the rear runs behind the pedal cluster.

I'm wondering if you have a wiring problem due to clutch pedal interference. Maybe a wire is broken and the pedal pushing on the harness "makes" the connection.

The problem you describe should not happen. Since it will not start in neutral without the pedal pushed, you most likely have an electrical problem. No neutral or clutch safety switches on a 914.
914bub
While the jumper cable idea will give you an idea about what's going on, I'd throw a volt meter on the ground circuit and get a real number. The Voltage drop should be no more than a tenth of a volt, (ROT spec.)
bcsellie
The jumper cable helped (negative from battery to case), but the problem is still intermittent. Could it be a ground issue under the dash (ignition switch was replaced by PO, but perhaps isn't grounding right)?

Also, the wires behind the pedal assembly seemed "tidy" when I had the carpet out earlier this week. Still thinking its ground related.......

(Car is new to me as of last weekend)

(side note: the interior light had never come on either, even with a new assembly.....but works when 12 volts is applied, again thinking grounds here)
bcsellie
Dropped the fuse panel and found a ground point up and to the left with 2 grounds attached. Cleaned and reattached with no improvement. I'm now thinking the ground for the ignition switch. Anyone know where this might be found?
bcsellie
Update: Starts every time now!

Man, I've learned a lot over the past couple hours. The clutch must have been creating the ground to start the car. What has happened is the PO had somehow bypassed the seat belt needing to be engaged to start the car by connecting a few black wires from relay to relay under the passenger seat, somewhat unsuccessfully. I noticed that every time I was out of the car twisting the key it started, but seated it was 50/50. I unplugged the drivers seat pad at the disconnect behind the seat and now the issue of starting is resolved. My car is a 1974!

Now, I thought I read that the seat belt bypass used the yellow wires, not black. Can anyone confirm?
rgalla9146
If there was an improvement with the jumpers but still intermittent I'd go back to the trans ground strap and clean the studs, the surfaces, the flat washers, the nuts and both sides of both ends of the cable.
bcsellie
So, the long and the short of this issue was it needed a seat belt bypass under the passenger seat, it had never been done. Yellow wires to the relays are now bridged and the car starts every time. Sorry for all the confusion.
stugray
Or pressing the clutch was pushing you back in the seat moving a wire....
bcsellie
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 7 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Or pressing the clutch was pushing you back in the seat moving a wire....

And that is likely what was happening. Hope I'm good to go now with the seat belt bypass complete and seats unplugged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.