Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shudder when moving off in 1st
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
Would appreciate some help

When moving off in 1st the whole car starts to shudder I have to depress and slip the clutch to get a smooth take off. The shudder is even worse if Im stopped on an incline.
Have sometimes a problem to get the car into 1st even when stationary and the same problem with reverse, the gears sometimes grind painfully.

Whats the problem and how do I fix it? The car is a 76 2.0

Thanks
Dave_Darling
Double-check your clutch adjustment. That is the most likely source of the grinding going into first and reverse.

The shudder could be a number of things. Anything from a burned clutch (or rather, flywheel and/or pressure plate) to bad motor or transmission mounts.

Does the gear shift lever move around under heavy braking? If so, your front motor mounts are broken. You can inspect the transmission mounts more easily than the motor mounts, so get under there and take a look for any cracked or separating rubber, or loose bolts.

I'm sure there are other possibilities for that, though...

Good luck!

--DD
poorsche914
Do you have a lot of oil leaking from the motor? Perhaps the rear main seal?
Could be oil is working its way onto the clutch disc. As it catches and slips, causes a shudder.

driving.gif
DavidSweden
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 7 2014, 08:41 AM) *

Do you have a lot of oil leaking from the motor? Perhaps the rear main seal?
Could be oil is working its way onto the clutch disc. As it catches and slips, causes a shudder.

driving.gif

Yes I have an oil leak but its from the oil filter/cooler region.

I do not know how to adjust the clutch what is the procedure

Thanks
McMark
Motor mounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.