Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
Hard to see from the picture, but I now have a crack in my windshield that runs all the way from left to right. I've been selfishly wanting it to crack for sometime now....it's been pitted and hard to see through.

So does it matter where I get a new windshield? Does it matter who does it? Should I just call my insurance guy and let 'whoever' come out and fix it? I'm guessing the chrome needs some experienced hands that are familiar with our little cars but maybe I'm over thinking this.

Your worldly wisdom is appreciated.

Click to view attachment
JRust
I think most windshield guys can do it. Absolutely make them use the butyl tape that is close to stock. When they silicone them in they are a bitch to get out. Plus they are basically glued & have no flex. Our cars tend to do that. Which will just about insure your new windshield to crack. Maybe not right away but if you get a chip. It will crack from top to bottom or side to side within a day of driving.

Also take pictures of before & after. I've seen many scratches from them trying to cut out a windshield. So watch your trim inside & the windshield to dash seal. Odds are good they will do damage to one. Point it all out so they are careful. If it is just the butyl tape they are much easier to get off
BeatNavy
I don't know how hard it is to find a provider in Oregon, but here in Northern VA I struggled to find a reputable business that would do it for me. One provider came out, took one look at the trim and said "nope!" I finally convinced him to sell me the window and at least place it in with the seal and I would handle the trim, trim tabs, and other prep work. I guess what I am saying is you may want to start looking at your options now.

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 8 2014, 01:04 PM) *

Absolutely make them use the butyl tape that is close to stock. When they silicone them in they are a bitch to get out. Plus they are basically glued & have no flex. Our cars tend to do that. Which will just about insure your new windshield to crack. Maybe not right away but if you get a chip. It will crack from top to bottom or side to side within a day of driving.

Really? My guy used the silicone last spring for me and I THINK it's ok confused24.gif I have no reason to doubt your advice, and I'll certainly be bitter if that ends up being the case... headbang.gif
Cuda911
I asked around several car restoration guys and found a local shop that specializes in classic/specialty car window replacement. They did a great job!

I'd be worried about the large-scale window shops, that they will damage the trim pieces.
shoguneagle
I have had Safelie do my windshields (two of them) for the 914 several years ago while in Flagstaff, AZ. I believe they used the latest techniques converting it from the original installation method to the current installation method (used wide rubber trim instead of the chrome around the windshield). So far holding without breaking but one has to realize
it has been on the "jack stands since arriving in Grants Pass.

Mr. Rust makes a very important point; these cars flex so therefore it could crack out the windshield from the rigidity of the type of adhieve. I think I am fairly safe from this problem since I do not have any flexing in the body; cross braced, longs beefed up, rear suspension attachments beefed, etc.
wndsrfr
Get a full set of the little clips that hold the aluminum trim in place in hand to give to the installer.....they won't have them and some are very likely to break, leaving a weak attaching point. If you're going to DE the car, be mindful that the trim will part company with the clips at exactly 131.7 mph the second time you hit that speed.....Got them to put in the black rubber trim on mine after that. driving.gif
ben*james
white914.jpg

Thanks all. Good insight:

Get extra clips.
The method of install is important.
Consider function of new techniques vs. originality.
Call local restore shops and car guys.
Avoid big box shops.

Yesterday I got a lead from a classic car guy. Small local business with a particular install tech to request. My source owns a 57 belair FI that looks like it's been touched exclusively by diaper cloths rolleyes.gif

dangrouche
here's how I did it myself

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235156

if you need trim clips, AND you will, 914rubber.com has them
if you buy butyl, you get the 3/8" dia. from Amazon
IMHO, You only need butyl primer if you have no paint as substrate
the glass is from Prosource

If I had to do it again, I would because its a straight forward job, just time consuming
Mblizzard
I just had mine replaced. It took about 2 weeks to get the glass from a classic car glass provider. The good was that it was a German made replacement windshield. The bad it was $400.

I have seen the Prosource glass and other than a made in Germany label on mine, I could not see any huge differences in the two.

The installer used what he called a flexible urethane seal instead of the butyl. Did not consider body flex but I got a 3-year warranty so hopefully if it is a problem it will show up before the warranty expires.

Also remember if you are thinking about doing the rubber seal, the plastic clips can't be in place. Something I overlooked as I thought I could switch between the chrome and rubber seal. You also will need to account for sealing the holes left in the window frame if you omitt the clips. Not a huge potential for water to get in but it is a real possibility in hard rain.
bdstone914
If you are going to reuse the original trim I suggest removing it your self.
You need to cut the old clips by sliding a single edge razor blade along until you find them. Use a plastic pallet or block of wood to cut them. Mark the position of the clips with masking tape and a sharpie. After the windshield is installed you need to press directly over the clip to not bend the trim. It is very soft.
Good luck
ConeDodger
A 914 windshield is a one man, simple do it yourself job. I replaced mine with a new Sigla a couple years back and documented it here.

Interesting side note, I had the front windshield in my 240Z done professionally. Yesterday I moved it from my garage to my storage unit and got caught in a short squall. It leaked at the bottom left corner. So much for professional installation... mad.gif
patssle
Are people buying new chrome or just re-using their old chrome? Is new chrome even available?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 9 2014, 03:20 PM) *

Are people buying new chrome or just re-using their old chrome? Is new chrome even available?

I reused my old chrome trim. If you're careful removing it and use new plastic clips you may be able to re-use it. I believe 914 Rubber sells it. FYI, 914 Rubber also sells the tool you can use to remove the trim a little easier and hopefully with less bending/damage.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 9 2014, 02:38 PM) *

A 914 windshield is a one man, simple do it yourself job. I replaced mine with a new Sigla a couple years back and documented it here.

Interesting side note, I had the front windshield in my 240Z done professionally. Yesterday I moved it from my garage to my storage unit and got caught in a short squall. It leaked at the bottom left corner. So much for professional installation... mad.gif

Rob, I studied your documentation on the windshield replacement in depth and used that as the basis for my prep. It was an awesome write-up. I thought about doing the whole thing as you documented then decided I needed a "pro" to do the sealing so I could be confident it was correct. The experience with your Z suggests my confidence in pros was misplaced. Oh well, I've got another windshield I need to replace soon. I can try my hand doing the whole thing on THAT one...
Beeliner
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 9 2014, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 9 2014, 02:38 PM) *

Rob, I studied your documentation on the windshield replacement in depth and used that as the basis for my prep. It was an awesome write-up. I thought about doing the whole thing as you documented then decided I needed a "pro" to do the sealing so I could be confident it was correct. The experience with your Z suggests my confidence in pros was misplaced. Oh well, I've got another windshield I need to replace soon. I can try my hand doing the whole thing on THAT one...

I just called Safelite here in CT. They came over and did it. They have more is stock, so if you are in Southern New England, give them a call....
drgchapman
Call Jeff at Rothsport. He has a guy that is very experienced and will not ruin the trim. Done.
boxstr
Oregon city company has done several 914s for me at CAMP 914
Complete glass 503-632-7912
Craig at CAMP
ben*james
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 9 2014, 06:39 PM) *

Call Jeff at Rothsport. He has a guy that is very experienced and will not ruin the trim. Done.

Thanks Gary, great idea glad you brought it up. beerchug.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 9 2014, 09:59 PM) *

Oregon city company has done several 914s for me at CAMP 914
Complete glass 503-632-7912
Craig at CAMP

Thanks Craig. Do you stock clips for the trim?
boxstr
Yes I do have the clips and the rubber spacer blocks.
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.