Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you cut carbon fiber?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am looking into getting some premade CF sheets to cut up into dash faces, but I don't know how to cut them and keep them from being chipped, gauled, or otherwise F-ed up by my actions (which never happens). Anyone have pointers?
r_towle
it chips when you cut it with a blade..

Treat it like metal and formica...

Try either a metal cutting wheel on a tablesaw, or hand held grinder/dremel...

Or try a router table..seems to work best, but you are limited to the table size...

rich
boxstr
Yes I made a few sets. First take the pattern that you are using and put it on the back side of the CF. Make you scribe marks and then cut with a sharp insturment. I used an Xacto straight saw. You can use a drill or hole saw for holes.
Thats all tha I can think of.
CCLINCFDASHBOARD
Dr Evil
Thanks fellas!
skline
Actually, the best way I have found is to mask the area where you want to make your cut, then score it really good with a razor knife and then use a very fine jigsaw blade or a fine blade on a bandsaw. It workes for me.
Dr Evil
Do I need to use a fine toothed hole saw to put holes in it?
SpecialK
If it's real CF you're talking about, use diamond coated jigsaw blades (like for ceramic tile) because CF eats all other blades for lunch! How thick is the CF you'll be cutting?
skline
IPB Image It will eat up your holesaw in short order. Try diamond or carbide might work ok for awhile.
Dr Evil
No more than 1mm thick. The bits sound expensive. Do you know where I can get anodized brushed aluminum and how I would cut it? that is my other choice.
skline
Down in SD? Nope, but my ex father in law gets metal all the time and I am sure he would know where you could get it.
SpecialK
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2005, 11:25 PM)
No more than 1mm thick. The bits sound expensive. Do you know where I can get anodized brushed aluminum and how I would cut it? that is my other choice.

1mm is pretty thin, I'm guessing that it's just for aesthetic reasons. If it's that thin, and you going to be cutting straight lines, I'd try a straight edge, or metal template of the shape (metal yard stick, sheetmetal template, etc) a utility knife, and a good size pack of blades (it'll dull them in short order). When you get to within a few inches of the edge of the part (CF), STOP!! and cut coming in from the opposite direction. This will prevent/lessen the chance of delamination at the edge of the part. Keep going over the same line (stopping before the end), and change the blades as required until the part is completly free of the waste material (here's that delamination word again). Cut any fibers connecting the two with the razor, don't just pull the two pieces apart, because....

VERY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT RUN YOUR FINGERS ALONG THE FRESHLY CUT EDGE!! CARBON SPLINTERS ARE A "MOTHERF*CKER", AND DON'T WANT TO COME OUT THE SAME WAY THEY WENT IN.....ASK ME HOW I KNOW (THINK FISH HOOKS)!!

Lightly sand the edges of the part with some 240 or 320 grit sand paper (aluminum oxide works good), and put a light coat of any kind of fiberglass resin, or epoxy adhesive (5 min., etc..etc) along the cut edge (seals the fiber and prevents future, well.......delamination), and wipe off any excess (as long as you don't have solvent on your rag, some resine will absorb into your cut edge) . You are now officially "good to go"!

As for the holes, it depends on how many, and what size.

You can get away without buying a bunch of diamond coated (read: expensive!) hole saws if you're not cutting a whole bunch. If I knew specifically what you were doing, I could be more...uuhh...specific.

As far as the "brushed aluminum", you could try:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/aluminum.html

Not sure of the "look" of the aluminum, but they offer a FREE catalog, it's huge, and has lots of goodies (get the "aircraft" version)! IPB Image

PM me for "plan B" on the brushed aluminum.... IPB Image
Dr Evil
Kevin,
I am looking into doing this for a dash face in my car, so it is only asthetic. Thanks for the info. I'll contact you for the other info. I have the Spruce catalog. I didn't think to look into it there.

I also found some brushed aluminum sheet on ebay for cheap and could make it out of that, but it is thinner than I believe that I want, and it is not anodized.
machina
when I laid up CF for my door panel, I cut it with a giant pair of shears.

my panel was only 1 layer of 8oz CF cloth but it may work on heavier panels.
Mueller
cosmetic only??

Just use this stuff:

simulated carbon fiber sticker sheets
Dr Evil
Mike, whats with the blasphemy? Stickers, as if (Insert looking down nose smiley)

Stickers are great! For me to poop on!
Mueller
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2005, 12:00 PM)
Mike, whats with the blasphemy? Stickers, as if (Insert looking down nose smiley)

Stickers are great! For me to poop on!

hey now, it'll be just our little secret, hahahahaha
Jeroen
Those stickers would be nice as targa trim
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 27 2005, 05:29 AM)
Those stickers would be nice as targa trim

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.