Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off to a great start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a few loose screws
This is a new project for me. So I'm in the whole tear down and assess stage. I've come across a lot of threads about transmissions and shifter linkage issues. so I decided that once I got the engine broken down and scattered all over the garage, it would be a good time to pop the cover off the gearbox. I expected to see some pretty good wear and tear, but it seems this thing puked out some vital organs. Pretty sure there was supposed to be a shaft in the back cover to support the reverse idler gear. Also the empty bearing cage doesn't seem too beneficial. Can't wait to see where those gear teeth ended up. So have I got a bucket of spare parts here, or is this thing salvageable? I guess I'll have to see what the rest of it looks like, but I'm not holding my breath.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
i think that one is finished.
Eric_Shea
Drevil can weld new teeth on those and, make them tighter! wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 8 2014, 05:53 PM) *

Drevil can weld new teeth on those and, make them tighter! wink.gif

huh.gif huh.gif unsure.gif
a few loose screws
A dentist for gear teeth?.......what a novel idea. If I find the missing teeth I'll try to fasten them with some polident....should hold. Worked for Grandma.....
Krieger
This must be from an older model.
championgt1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2014, 06:38 PM) *

i think that one is finished.

agree.gif blink.gif
a few loose screws
Ok, I have one quick question about the reverse idler gear shaft. Is it pressed in to the cover? Is that all that retains it? The shaft is drilled for a roll pin, but there is no corresponding holes in the cover to accommodate one.
Beeliner
So that's why it was difficult to get into first gear..... sad.gif
Larmo63
"Drevil" is one word now.

Lol
You will be miles and buckets of $ ahead by buying another trans. Good luck piratenanner.gif
a few loose screws
Oh for sure! I'll be looking for another transmission. I'm not messing around with a box that ate that much steel, not a chance. I had a feeling this one was junk from the start.
worn
QUOTE(a few loose screws @ Sep 8 2014, 05:29 PM) *

This is a new project for me. So I'm in the whole tear down and assess stage. I've come across a lot of threads about transmissions and shifter linkage issues. so I decided that once I got the engine broken down and scattered all over the garage, it would be a good time to pop the cover off the gearbox. I expected to see some pretty good wear and tear, but it seems this thing puked out some vital organs. Pretty sure there was supposed to be a shaft in the back cover to support the reverse idler gear. Also the empty bearing cage doesn't seem too beneficial. Can't wait to see where those gear teeth ended up. So have I got a bucket of spare parts here, or is this thing salvageable? I guess I'll have to see what the rest of it looks like, but I'm

It'll grow back, I'm sure. Likely a virus. I think you can simply put the cover back quietly. Nothin to see here folks. Might still be some usable parts though...

Sorry man. It will feel better with it fixed though.
Dr Evil
If you pull the stack you can examine the rest. If no wear, swap a whole first gear set in. However, if you can pick up a good core that works for not too much then save yourself a headache and do so. That rear section at the rollers. Kinda weird. If you decide to rebuild it, I have parts like that gear set. You will need some special tools, though, and that makes is a bit of a pain. Where in Canada are you? If East you can look up Mark Henry as he can probably help you out.
a few loose screws
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 10 2014, 05:21 AM) *

If you pull the stack you can examine the rest. If no wear, swap a whole first gear set in. However, if you can pick up a good core that works for not too much then save yourself a headache and do so. That rear section at the rollers. Kinda weird. If you decide to rebuild it, I have parts like that gear set. You will need some special tools, though, and that makes is a bit of a pain. Where in Canada are you? If East you can look up Mark Henry as he can probably help you out.

It will all depend on the condition of the stack for sure. I'm nervous about all the steel rolling around in there. I'm also gun shy about buying another used gear box, I seem to have no luck. I'd like to see the first gear stack before buying another one. Depends on the seller I guess. I'm certainly not taking someones word that the box has been "rebuilt". I'm not sure what a good used first gear assembly costs, I know when I priced out the parts new I woke up on the floor an hour later with a nasty bump on my head. I could get a used box around here for under $400 . I'm on the east coast, so if the stack is ok, I'll see what Mark can do for me. How would I go about contacting him? I assume he's a member here? I'm new,sorry, I have to ask these things.
rhodyguy
i think what you need might be in this tote. semi short term storage for a fellow member. imho, $400 for an unknown trans is TOO much $.
Dr Evil
Mark Henry is on this site under the name Mark Henry and lives in Port Hope, Ont.

I can get you a 1st gear set for close to nothing. I can ship you a known good core for less than $400. That price is too steep. Do you know how to PM here, yet? We can walk you through it. You can PM me and Mark with specifics and I bet we can get you hooked up. I have at least two good cores in my garage at the moment. I can also rebuild one fore you and the only new part you would need to buy are the bearings, which I can get at a huge discount. Also, you will have some parts that are useable in your box that will lower the price. There are multiple options.
a few loose screws
Thanks Doc! I'll PM you when I figure out exactly where I am and what I need to get the gearbox together. I got the gear stack out, other than a beat up bearing, everything looks good. The pinion has a few minor marks on it, no chips or anything major. Thanks again for the help.
rhodyguy
get the bearing set. bad spot to try and save a few bucks. the dif between a serviceable used set and a new one is pretty apparent when you get to hold them and feel the bearing action.

k
a few loose screws
Thats the plan, I want to do a complete tear down anyway. Have to clean and inspect everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.