Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retroair AC Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the 914 air conditioning kit offered by RetroAir out of Dallas?
Clemson
Not for the 914, I had one of their upfit kits installed in my '87 cab this summer. The shop that did it still can't get to to keep freezing up the evaporator after about 45 minutes of running, not impressed with Retroaire.
Hank914
If Retro-air is not a good solution, what is? I like driving around topless, but there are 100degree days where you need the top on and AC inside. What do people do then? Go with the dealer installed stuff?

confused24.gif

I like driving.gif too much, and dislike the vinyl stickiness, on hot summer days.
57lincolnman
QUOTE(bluhun @ Sep 8 2014, 11:35 PM) *

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the 914 air conditioning kit offered by RetroAir out of Dallas?

I have the RetroAir system in my 914. Previously my 914 had the original dealer installed system which I tried to have repaired. The parts for that old system simply were not available. So... the RetroAir condenser was slightly larger which required more sheet metal to put cut out of the front trunk floor. The compressor takes only 1.5 hp which far more efficient than the original one. You will have to give up some engine tin to accommodate the compressor. The biggest problem was getting the car to idle with the a/c on. We put an idle step-up kit on and that did help. However, I think it is too much of a strain on the engine in stop and go traffic so I only use mine on the highway. It works great then. Lastly, the under dash unit is a faux grain semi-gloss black plastic with silver heat stamp on the vents. I painted my vents solid black and upholstered the unit in black vinyl to match the dash. Now it looks like an integral part of the "cockpit".
Hank914
QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Sep 13 2014, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bluhun @ Sep 8 2014, 11:35 PM) *

I have the RetroAir system in my 914. Previously my 914 had the original dealer installed system which I tried to have repaired. The parts for that old system simply were not available. So... the RetroAir condenser was slightly larger which required more sheet metal to put cut out of the front trunk floor. The compressor takes only 1.5 hp which far more efficient than the original one. You will have to give up some engine tin to accommodate the compressor. The biggest problem was getting the car to idle with the a/c on. We put an idle step-up kit on and that did help. However, I think it is too much of a strain on the engine in stop and go traffic so I only use mine on the highway. It works great then. Lastly, the under dash unit is a faux grain semi-gloss black plastic with silver heat stamp on the vents. I painted my vents solid black and upholstered the unit in black vinyl to match the dash. Now it looks like an integral part of the "cockpit".

Post some pictures when you have a chance. It sounds like a nice solution.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.