Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New car oil spec
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Changed the oil in my new Altima today and was shocked it called for synthetic 0-20 weight. What the hell, what is this for zero tolerence fittments? I meàn thats like water right?

Is this what they are running in engines these days? I don't grt it. Showing my age again. Just in time for Lisa's dance!

John
stugray
That's what the BRZ calls for.

Modern 2.0L 4-cyl boxer good to 8k RPM easy.
PancakePorsche
Improved tolerances and cooling of modern engines. Decreased windage/shear resistance of these new oils improves both performance and gas milage. The polar opposite to our old air cooled counterparts.
maf914
Wow, 0-20 oil.

No new cars here, but our 2002 Acura RSX-S 2.0 four and 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0 V-6 both use 5-30. That seemed like water the first time I did oil changes. Our previous cars used 10-30 or 10-40.

Are new car transmission and differential oils also lighter? idea.gif
stugray
Are new car transmission and differential oils also lighter?

The BRZ trans & diff call for 75W90, and I was able to use the same fluid in both.
Jake Raby
Just wait till CAFE 2016 comes around.. Thats right, a 16 grade oil for everything.

Stand by, and support those who continue developing lubricants for vintage engines. I was recently appointed to a new STLE Committee thats doing more to further the education of laypeople and enthusiasts in regard to modern oils and old engines.
boxsterfan
I hear this stuff is cheap. poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.