Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: odd wear marks on flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Bought this flywheel new last summer and have put less than 1000 miles on it.
I don't remember seeing these marks when I installed it.
What would cause this? I don't see any marks on the case.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Also, besides the rear main seal leaking, it looks like I'm getting some leaking from the gallery plugs (I think that's what these are called). They appear to be in tight. Is it advisable to remove them and put some sort of sealant on them?
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
r_towle
for the marks, did you use all the correct new parts?
O-ring, felt, pilot bearing?

Also, did you reset the thrust with three washers?

Looks like it may have been rubbing....

Are those freeze plugs in deep enough to clear it?

Thread sealant, yes.
I use the same stuff I used for the camshaft plug for sealant.
Locktite (cant recall the number)

rich
rjames
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2014, 11:55 AM) *

for the marks, did you use all the correct new parts?
O-ring, felt, pilot bearing?

Also, did you reset the thrust with three washers?

Looks like it may have been rubbing....

Are those freeze plugs in deep enough to clear it?

Thread sealant, yes.
I use the same stuff I used for the camshaft plug for sealant.
Locktite (cant recall the number)

rich

Rich,
All new parts were installed. I didn't check/reset the endplay when I installed the flywheel last year, but I measured it this time with the seal out and it came within spec- .005"
Odd that there's marks not only on the outer plan of the flywheel, but also on both the inner ring area where it would touch the main seal and outer edge of the flywheel.
I'm not sure if I had the Victor Reinz seal was seated in all the way as sat just slightly proud of the case. I think I read somewhere where that's normal due to their thickness. I will measure and verify though.

I'll also verify the flywheel clears the plugs but I'm pretty certain they are recessed more than enough.
r_towle
my comment was a guess on the marks.
Its hard to tell where the marks are that you are talking about....at least for my old eyes.

rich
ChrisFoley
The galley plugs should probably be removed and re-installed with fresh thread sealant.
They need to be installed quite tightly to eliminate any possibility of weeping.
rjames
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 10 2014, 12:28 PM) *

The galley plugs should probably be removed and re-installed with fresh thread sealant.
They need to be installed quite tightly to eliminate any possibility of weeping.

Torque value?
rjames
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2014, 12:27 PM) *

Its hard to tell where the marks are that you are talking about....at least for my old eyes.

rich

Rich, I can relate. I've circled the marks in red.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Pipe threads aren't assembled to a torque value.
But I do know those plugs have to be very tight.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 10 2014, 12:10 PM) *

rich

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I think a screw got in there....probably made those marks the first time the engine turned over and tore the lip of the seal as well...rattled around a bit making pocks further out on the flywheel before being ejected....
rjames
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 10 2014, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 10 2014, 12:10 PM) *

rich

I think a screw got in there....probably made those marks the first time the engine turned over and tore the lip of the seal as well...rattled around a bit making pocks further out on the flywheel before being ejected....

Hmmm the seal was perfectly fine. No marks. I'm 100% sure there wasn't a screw dropped in there. I suppose there could have been a small piece of metal debris though? I really want to verify all is good before I put everything back together. Do I need to worry about resurfacing the flywheel where it's marked up?
wndsrfr
Something that catches my eye is that the entire shoulder is polished clean as if it's been rubbing on the face of the seal. That doesn't look right to me....like the seal isn't seated in far enough. There should be some clearance there, right? In which case, if the flywheel is hitting the seal face, it's giving you a false reading on the endplay of the crank....the thrust face of the bearing is what it's got to be limited by. Repeat your endplay measurement without the seal in place first....then install the seal far in enough such that the endplay doesn't change & you'll have it nailed.
As long as the surface that the seal lip rides on is smooth, no reason to do anything to it....mount new seal & go!
a few loose screws
The thing that catches my eye is the pattern of the damage closest to the seal. This is just a one in a million shot in the dark, but I'd check the back of that seal. (crank side) See if the spring is still in place behind the lip of the seal. It's a long shot, but that pattern looks awful familiar. You would think if it fell out it would stay in the engine, but stranger things have happened.
a few loose screws
.......actually, that's crazy talk. Never mind.
malcolm2
I am going with the screw theory. I mean come on, this thing is turning 3000 RPM cruising down the road, if something was rubbing it would be worn! they look like scratches to me.

Are they causing a problem? Isn't that the BACK of the flywheel? Did I miss the reason you took the flywheel out after 1000 miles?
rjames
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 10 2014, 08:32 PM) *

I am going with the screw theory. I mean come on, this thing is turning 3000 RPM cruising down the road, if something was rubbing it would be worn! they look like scratches to me.

Are they causing a problem? Isn't that the BACK of the flywheel? Did I miss the reason you took the flywheel out after 1000 miles?

You're right, they are scratches. Flywheel came off because there was an oil leak. Rear main seal and gallery plugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.