Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Ok check this out. I think I have seen where other folks have painted the sail vs. using the vinyl. Here is my attempt.

I have purchased (from 914Rubber.com) the sail vinyl, but my car is so far from needing PRETTY anything, I thought I would come up with a pre-PRETTY alternative. I have used this paint on the BLACK Long covers and it looks pretty good. Has held up for about 5000 miles so far.

Dupi-Color Truck bed liner. Thick, Textured and seems to take a beating. Once it is time to make the car pretty by painting it, I can sand it off and install the 914Rubber version.

what do you think?

Click to view attachment

I painted the final coat on this one last night. looks like some thick spots are a bit darker, the color should even out. It did on the longs.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
Not bad. Especially for a driver. Do they make it in a brushed aluminum color?
malcolm2
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 10 2014, 09:48 PM) *

Not bad. Especially for a driver. Do they make it in a brushed aluminum color?

They have a couple of products for bed liners, all I see is black. But I did see a Trunk Spatter product in a lighter color. Check out their website....

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/trunkSpatter/
malcolm2
KEVLAR... wow, I did not know that.

From their website:

FEATURES & BENEFITS
DIY Truck Bed Liner with DuPont™ Kevlar®
Water-based polyurethane coating
Durable and rubberized finish extends bed life
Impact resistant finish won't flake, chip, or peel
Use on metal, wood, fiberglass, and concrete

And then there is that TOOL DIP stuff that comes in a spray can now. People are painting their whole car with that stuff. confused24.gif
poorsche914
I need to redo my targa top idea.gif

driving.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 10 2014, 10:04 PM) *

I need to redo my targa top idea.gif

driving.gif

Just doing a "semi-pretty" clean up for the big Townsend EVENT!
The check is in the mail. piratenanner.gif

Clark
Spoke
beerchug.gif

Looks good.

I used Rust-Oleum's Hammered paint for the same effect.
stugray
I need to redo my targa top

That was my first thought.
I was soon going to primer & smooth my top and paint it black, but I am curious how this would look.

Let us know if you try it.
malcolm2
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 11 2014, 08:19 AM) *

I need to redo my targa top

That was my first thought.
I was soon going to primer & smooth my top and paint it black, but I am curious how this would look.

Let us know if you try it.

That's two top replies. I remember the 914 show of Wheeler Dealer and Ed painted the top then used a small artist brush to dab some texture blobs on it. It didn't look too bad. I like the flat finish myself.

I may have to try this stuff on the top. I have a 3 inch crack that needs to be repaired and my front pad among other things is damaged, so the whole thing needs a once over.

A couple years ago I turned down a whole roof for $50. I am wishing I had bought it now.
CptTripps
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 11 2014, 09:36 AM) *

A couple years ago I turned down a whole roof for $50. I am wishing I had bought it now.

There was one on Craigslist here in Cleveland for $50 a few weeks ago.

Someone commented to me in Hershey that there are WAY more roofs than cars. People trash the car and keep the roof for whatever reason. I know I've thrown a few out.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Malcolm2 @ Sep 10 2014, 11:07 PM)
Just doing a "semi-pretty" clean up for the big Townsend EVENT!
I am in the process of getting my LE actually looking like an LE and sprucing things up. As my daily driver, my main goal is to have it look good from 10 feet away biggrin.gif
Today I sanded the bumpers (which are pretty rough). Will prime, sand again and then spray Phoenix Red Rustoleum Lobster Red (a near perfect match). idea.gif
Also took an original tan carpet set that was dirty and badly faded and dyed it a darker brown. Just wanted to have something with a more uniform color. rolleyes.gif
The wheels, currently painted white, will probably have to wait for their turn. Not ready to tackle the stripping part of that project just yet barf.gif

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 11 2014, 10:15 AM)
Someone commented to me in Hershey that there are WAY more roofs than cars. People trash the car and keep the roof for whatever reason. I know I've thrown a few out.
I have 4 roofs but none are in great condition dry.gif

driving.gif
Mblizzard
That is pretty good! I installed the German 914 vinyl and it is very nice but I am not sure it is leaps and bounds above that.
Alphaogre
That's what I used for my targa top. It has the texture already in it, and it's deigned to be durable and in the sun. I have not had any issues with it so far.
euro911
The texture looks a lot like the targa top's texture smile.gif
malcolm2
Click to view attachment

OK, I have installed the chrome. From 10' maybe 15... piratenanner.gif it looks like the real deal. Let's say it's good enough for me for sure. Just cost me a little time, masking tape and elbow grease to clean up the chrome.

OT a bit, but what is a good alternative to the OEM chrome clips? They are thin and probably rust away easily. I was lucky and found 2 junk yard cars with chrome on them and pulled it. Might have salvaged 2 or three clips from each. I treated them all with the POR marine clean, and metal ready. Hit them with some rust-o-leum and installed them.

Are they still made, or is there something else to use?

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.