Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: converting to carbs what to do with the fi return line.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CatDaddy60
As the lead states, I have a 1972 1.7 that I have converted to a single down draft progressive Weber. In the process I'm asking those who have converted to carbs or carb what have you done with the stock return line.

Many thanks
lonewolfe
QUOTE(CatDaddy60 @ Sep 10 2014, 08:43 PM) *

As the lead states, I have a 1972 1.7 that I have converted to a single down draft progressive Weber. In the process I'm asking those who have converted to carbs or carb what have you done with the stock return line.

Many thanks

popcorn[1].gif
brant
Returns on carbs are ideal.
Blocking it will work fine also
colingreene
I was going to use mine as the evp line because i wont be needing it.
Id highly reccomend steel lines though, i am in the process of doing mine, I just have to remember what line goes where, big to the inside or outside you know.
Dave_Darling
If your fuel delivery system doesn't need the return, you can run a short piece of hose from the return fitting on the tank, put a bolt of the appropriate size in the end of the hose, and put a clamp on it.

You do know that the single-carb setup on our cars is about the worst possible way to get air and fuel into the motor, right? If you must go carb'ed, use duals.

--DD
PotterPorsche
ditch the progressive save opney for some dual 40 weber s or 36 dellortos
CptTripps
I agree.gif with everyone else.

Save up for dual webers. Run one to each.

...or just cap the other line and run the single until you understand why we all say dual is the way to go. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 10 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Returns on carbs are ideal.
Blocking it will work fine also

agree.gif
Both will work but running a return is beneficial, even with a carb setup.

Oh, and +1 for ditching the single carb boat anchor ...
biggrin.gif
CatDaddy60
While I agree with the ditching the single carb I am trying to get this car back on the road after 12 years of idle. I removed the dJetronic with the intention of going to a Megasquirt which should give a more modern fuel system. While I'm collecting the parts I will need and working out the details I would like to drive it.
Here in Phoenix Don Jackson has one that is a daily driver that he states "as long as you recognize the limitation of the system you'll be ok". The limitations being that it is NOT a performance carb and don't try to drive it as such.
Please look forward to questions about the Megasquirt 2 system and how to adapt it to a 1.7 with 1.8 cyl stock heads, exhaust and a yet to be determined intake manifold.
CatDaddy60
Just a photo of my 914Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I think there is a benefit to using the return line.
Combined with a front mounted fuel pump you'll always have cooler gas going to the carbs which will reduce the possibility of vapor lock.
I'd incorporate a pressure regulator in the return line.
Front pump (or tank pump) and return line is also how most FI systems are plumbed too.
rhodyguy
Keeping fuel lines in the engine compartment isolated and off of the warm surfaces is pretty important too. If you cap the return line at the tank make sure you use the correct stub of line and a shouldered bolt and clamp.
CatDaddy60
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 12 2014, 09:29 AM) *

Keeping fuel lines in the engine compartment isolated and off of the warm surfaces is pretty important too. If you cap the return line at the tank make sure you use the correct stub of line and a shouldered bolt and clamp.

Will do. you might recognize this car. I bought it off a used car lot in between Buckley and Bonney Lake Wa.
lonewolfe
How exactly are the fuel lines hooked up to use a return line? I have Dellorto carbs. They use a system from the factory that has one line going to a master carb then back out to connect to the other slave carb. I know you can replace the master carb setup with a single line in to each carb by running a T on the main inlet fuel line and from there to each carb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.