Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
Hello,

My windshield looks like its been sand blasted. This is a big problem when the sun is low I literaly can hardly see a thing.

Has anyone experience of polishing the windshield, does it work and what to use?

Thanks
JawjaPorsche
You are wasting your time. You need a new windshield.

I had same problems and tried everything including polishing. Replacement is the only solution. sad.gif

I know that is NOT you want to hear. sad.gif
DavidSweden
Correct not what I wanted to hear.

Thanks anyway
wndsrfr
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 11 2014, 09:44 AM) *

Hello,

My windshield looks like its been sand blasted. This is a big problem when the sun is low I literaly can hardly see a thing.

Has anyone experience of polishing the windshield, does it work and what to use?

Thanks

Your insurance company will likely pay for replacement if you tell them it's an issue when driving.....mine did...
Mblizzard
Mine was just like that. Polished for hours and got very little improvement. I honestly did break my windshield while doing some repairs and got a replacement from the insurance company.
Cuda911
I looked into polishing too. Seemed to me like there would be a good system for doing this, but nope. I replaced mine last month. Only $350, and I love the nice new glass.
mepstein
I got a quote for $220 from reputable shop for parts and labor
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 11 2014, 02:37 PM) *

I got a quote for $220 from reputable shop for parts and labor

Probably different for him in Sweden.
DavidSweden
Yes different in sweden.

The price for a new windshield is 4668 Swedish kronor = $655 + shipping
There is a company in France selling them for 2802 = $393 + shipping

Now you know why I want to polish it
Cuda911
Isn't everyone in Sweden wealthy?

No, wait, I guess that's Switzerland. Ah well, what's the difference.
Beeliner
Keep getting quotes, call local suppliers, I was pleasantly surprised...
warpig
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 12 2014, 03:03 PM) *

Isn't everyone in Sweden wealthy?

No, wait, I guess that's Switzerland. Ah well, what's the difference.

Sweden is the place where all the hot chicks are sluts!!! cheer.gif piratenanner.gif happy11.gif
DavidSweden

Hot Sluts?

In your dreams big boy!
76-914
Evidently, glass is easily sand blasted yet difficult to polish. sad.gif I have the same problem. If I drive into the sun the screen becomes opaque. popcorn[1].gif
orthobiz
When asked about the windshield, the seller of my red car said "pitted." boy,w as it ever!

I thought about polishing but was advised against it. It was hypothesized that when painting the car, sanding wheel sparks flew onto it and caused the pitting, mainly because the rear window was similarly affected and the side windows not at all!

Anyway, getting new front and almost new rear glass is like getting a new car, lots of bang for the buck, no matter how big the buck.

I know a Safelite guy who has not done the old style replacement with the metal trim in a long time, make sure the window person really knows what he is doing.

Paul
ConeDodger
Again, with the proper stuff, a windshield is a simple do-it-yourself job. Two people would be handy for the lift and place, but I did it alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.