Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattc
Hello. new to 914world but owned many 914's since early 90's. Have a 73 2.0. purchased rebuilt starter and hot start kit. Installed. When restarting when engine is warm/hot. Starter and flywheel do not engage properly and grind. Takes about 3-8 turns of key before it "catches". Does not happen when cold. 1. What am I destroying? 2. How do i fix it? Thanks.
PotterPorsche
I have the same issue. pull your starter inspect flywheel teeth. When I bought the car it was this way. 7-10 starts are fine. Mine is getting worse. already have replacement flywheel . Waiting for it to get intolerable , at which point I pull tranny replace flywheel, clutch throw out bearing and clutch.
mattc
Do you know if it is flywheel or starter problem? Is yours heat related in any way?
PotterPorsche
Mine is not heat related. I pulled started gear was fine. With a mirror and flashlight i rotated the engine lookong at flywheel. Visual onspection revealed teeth damage. U can also rub your finger on the edges of teeth. Car not running of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.