Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Either I missed something or this guy believes everything he reads. I was checking Ebay and saw this auction for a 20 footer as the guy describes it. His auction price for the buy it now is way high if it is as he describes it. Maybe he just needs some more drug money. It would be nice if it were all true. He must be thinking it's a 6.

$7500.00 car
vortrex
$2500 cars are now $7000. I don't get it either. it's not just this car, almost every 914 out there is overpriced right now.
horizontally-opposed
An SF classic car dealer has a 1976 (smog!) 914 for sale. Usually, high-end Ferraris and sought-after Porsches are their gig. A few Astons, Panoz, and the occasional really nice Datsun Roadster etc.

The 914 is front and center with backdated 1972 bumpers. Yellow, chrome 4-lug Fuchs, really nice paint, and...sun-baked everything else. Three kinds of basket weave in the interior. The dash has carpeting glued over it. The spare is UNREAL, a minor point, but I can't believe something with half-metal, half-rubber would even make it into the trunk after the money spent to get the thing so straight (though who knows what's under the paint). Trunk fit is so-so.

It's a $3,000-4,000 914 (on a good day) with a REALLY nice paint job and superclean wheel wells. It's on consignment and, get this, the owner wants to get $19,500!!!!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

pete
vortrex
another one 3x overpriced.

1.7L for $9000 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4522865106&rd=1
SirAndy
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Jan 26 2005, 12:14 PM)
An SF classic car dealer has a 1976 (smog!) 914 for sale

yepp, i've seen this car in person and i agree, it's more like in the $4k range.

$19k is just nuts ...
IPB Image Andy
bondo
Hmm, sounds like I should put my salvage titled one on ebay again IPB Image
Root_Werks
I think the days of finding a half decent 914 for $2500 are pretty much gone now. There are less of them on the road, driving up the price. I have kept my eye on a few local ones, cheapest is $4k and it doesn't look very nice at all. IPB Image
aircooledboy
IPB Image
I think we all knew this day would come. IPB Image

I've been seeing what looked like the first signs of real rising value for a year or 2 now. I was planning to start to gather up some clean rollers for their future value since I 've got tons of indoor storage room, but I think it is too late to get that kind of car cheap. IPB Image

These cars above are extreme examples, and definitely overpriced, but I think there is a good chance the fits and starts of rising prices will be the trend from here on out. Good for the value of our cars, bad if you were hoping to grab another car or 2. IPB Image

IPB Image
lapuwali
You guys just need to take a road trip out here. It's still very possible to find "half-decent" cars for $3K or less out here.

$1500 Craigslist car

There are several more cars there now, but they're all either over $3K, or not "half-decent" (like two that are customized out the wazoo). Only one is over $5K, though, and it looks pretty nice. Cars in the $1500-3000 bracket that look like decent drivers show up all the time, like 5-6 per month. Even factoring in the cost of renting a car trailer and gas, you could drive here from the East Coast and pick up a worthwhile car for under $3K.

Asking on this board will nearly always find someone close by that's willing to take a close look and provide an opinion and more photos, which substantially reduces the long distance buyer's risk. I'm certainly willing to do that for any car in the Bay Area.

All that said, prices are no doubt beginning to inch up thanks to the efforts of people like the Excellence crew. With the increased attention there and in Pano, the rest of the Porsche world is beginning to think maybe these cars aren't so bad, after all. Parts cars are starting to sell quickly enough even here that it took three tries for me to get hooked up with a group that was parting one out. The rest slipped through the board's fingers.
Root_Werks
That craiglist car for $1500 doesn't look bad at all. I guess if you look, you could still find a few, but they are getting harder to find for sure. The next trip I take to CA, I will probably be looking for a 914 to drive home! You guys have all the good deals! IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
We have all the good deals...

UNTIL you need to pay for anything that has the term "labor rate" attached to it. Then there's the California housing market, which must drive this phenomenon. IPB Image

Someday, yes, someday I will have a garage that's not leased... IPB Image

pete
anthony
Values are up a little but there have always been sellers with an over zealous estimation of what their car is worth. These ebay cars are nothing different. Here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4522865003&rd=1

It is hard to find really nice 914s but I think that was the case 3 years ago when I bought my silver car. I think I just lucked out.
Dr Evil
You can ask $1M, its what they are selling at that matters. Are these cars gonna sell for anything close to what the asking price is? I doubt it.
rick 918-S
I hope every one of those cars sells.
Gint
IPB Image

'specially the $1M dollar car... IPB Image
Seagrave
I agree that it's only what it actually sells for that matters. The other side of that is, do you want to sell yours? I'm keeping mine. I've had it for years and years. If you want to see the other side of the coin, find out from any insurance company how much they'd pay for replacement cost. Could be ugly. If I had to sell one of my cars though, the 911 would go first!
boxstr
Well you have to figure that everyone selling a 914 has been told that "it is a Porsche, that must be worth a lot of money"
The cars that I sell at CAMP 914 have been priced way under any of the ones currently on ebay. I am not out to make myself look greedy or stupid by overpricing a car and then have to wait months for it to sell or have to reduce the price until it finally comes down to the pricepoint that it should have started out at in the first place.
Check http://www.camp914.com and see for yourself.
Personally I feel that the "real" 914 buyer is going to know what these cars are worth, so there is no reason to try and jack the price out of site.
I would rather sell a car and have it on the road and someone enjoying it rather than gathering dust in the barn.
CCLINSALESAREMYGAME
gregrobbins
I was checking Ebay and saw this auction for a 20 footer as the guy describes it

20 footer? Sounds like my silver car. Looks pretty good from 20 feet, any closer the paint and body hurts your eyes.
DJsRepS
Im cheap and Im happy with my great running ugly 914. Great running due to this Form. A guy on this Form fixed an oil leak I had even after a valve job and all new seals. The leak was on the bottom and he pegged my leak from a pic of the top. It was missing all the Tsat, pully, cable and baffels. He noticed the baffel bar and clip gone. The bolt hole for the pully goes on through into the case.
scotty b
I hear and see these prices and think about some of the stuff I have tossed over the years IPB Image Now i'm rethinking some of the parts I want to toss now IPB Image .The real question is whether or not people are actually paying these prices or are they all pipe dreams?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 26 2005, 08:11 PM)
Well you have to figure that everyone selling a 914 has been told that "it is a Porsche, that must be worth a lot of money"
The cars that I sell at CAMP 914 have been priced way under any of the ones currently on ebay. I am not out to make myself look greedy or stupid by overpricing a car and then have to wait months for it to sell or have to reduce the price until it finally comes down to the pricepoint that it should have started out at in the first place.
Check  http://www.camp914.com and see for yourself.
Personally I feel that the "real" 914 buyer is going to know what these cars are worth, so there is no reason to try and jack the price out of site.
I would rather sell a car and have it on the road and someone enjoying it rather than gathering dust in the barn.
CCLINSALESAREMYGAME

Craig, you need to either update your site or get some more 914's up for sale! Thier all sold! IPB Image

BTW - I have done business with craig on a few 914's over the years and I think he prices his cars very fairly. I have used his site a few times to gauge prices.
skline
Not all of them, the top one was still available.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 27 2005, 07:59 AM)
Not all of them, the top one was still available.

IPB Image Okay, not ALL of them.

Even though it is a re-paint/color, a 2.0 914 with 70K miles for $5500 seems like a good deal to me. I just picked up a 74 from Craig for another six project/conversion. He has some good cars. Never been down there, but want to go visit sometime. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.