Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which camshaft for a carbed 2258?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am looking for a winter project. I built my 2258 2 years ago and I am quite happy with it except that I can't seem to get the mixture right without causing other issues. I have tried everything over two years and I have come to believe that my camshaft is my problem. I have a scat c45 cam.

Anyway, I plan on swapping cams this winter. I have dual weber 44 Idf's. I use the car for spirited street driving and auto-x. What is the best cam to buy?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 12 2014, 05:57 PM) *

I am looking for a winter project. I built my 2258 2 years ago and I am quite happy with it except that I can't seem to get the mixture right without causing other issues. I have tried everything over two years and I have come to believe that my camshaft is my problem. I have a scat c45 cam.

Anyway, I plan on swapping cams this winter. I have dual weber 44 Idf's. I use the car for spirited street driving and auto-x. What is the best cam to buy?

What exhaust do you have? I've got Jake's cam & Tangerine exhaust on my 2316....you really want to get a combination that works together.
tornik550
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 12 2014, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 12 2014, 05:57 PM) *

What exhaust do you have? I've got Jake's cam & Tangerine exhaust on my 2316....you really want to get a combination that works together.

I have triad headers and exhaust. Considering tangerine headers though.
stugray
I second Mark Henry's choice.

I have the webcam 86b on a 2.0L with weber 40IDFs, 9.2CR and the "kerry hunter" style headers (I think about the same as the triad).
It has good upper end power and idles OK.
I havent tuned out the slight bog at lower RPMs but I dont care much since mine is a 80% dedicated racecar.

I drive it on the street and it is well behaved.
I shimmed the rockers ~.050 and cut custom pushrods for the 1.7L swivel feet adjusters.
Jake Raby
Your issue is more than likely cylinder Carb/head/ exhaust deficiency.Don't go swapping cams, you might just make it worse.
Those carbs are way too small for an optimized 2270.

Tiny (for the engine) carbs and a cam thats huge, like a C45 is a seriously misconfigured engine combination. Period.
tornik550
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2014, 04:16 PM) *

Your issue is more than likely cylinder Carb/head/ exhaust deficiency.Don't go swapping cams, you might just make it worse.

Tiny (for the engine) carbs and a cam thats huge, like a C45 is a seriously misconfigured engine combination. Period.

What would be the best way to remedy the problem? Weber 48idfs?

I currently have dual weber 44 Idf's with 36mm vents, 44x38 valves, headers with 1 5/8 pipes.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *

I currently have dual weber 44 Idf's with 36mm vents, 44x38 valves, headers with 1 5/8 pipes.

The 44s are properly sized for the engine. Whats the compression ratio? Valve size matters less than net port flow, have the heads seen a flow bench?

The C45 cam loves compression, without it, you'l always run rich.
tornik550
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 14 2014, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *

The 44s are properly sized for the engine. Whats the compression ratio? Valve size matters less than net port flow, have the heads seen a flow bench?

The C45 cam loves compression, without it, you'l always run rich.

I have 9.5:1 compression. The heads were in a flow bench locally prior to installation. I had the numbers on another computer which had it's hard drive crash. I don't remember the numbers except that they were better than stock 2.0 heads. I am going to see if I can get the numbers a different way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.