Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replaced rear brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Click to view attachment

I replaced the rear brake pads. Small problem. The nut that sets the adjuster stripped (see red arrow), and it won't seat. I am thinking either that I will cut off the nut and replace it, or does the adjuster eventually come out, so that I can put in a new one?

Otherwise, the caliper adjusts fine.

TIA
steuspeed
Mine was stuck. See my brake re-build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37&hl=brake
KaptKaos
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 12 2014, 10:46 PM) *

I looked at your thread, but I am not sure we have the same issue.

My nut was cross-threaded, and is now stuck on the adjuster.

I think I just need to cut off the nut and hope I can get a new one.
PlantMan
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 12 2014, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 12 2014, 10:46 PM) *

I looked at your thread, but I am not sure we have the same issue.

My nut was cross-threaded, and is now stuck on the adjuster.

I think I just need to cut off the nut and hope I can get a new one.

There is a small C clip before the nut that keeps the nut from backing off the adjuster. This C clip needs to come off. You maybe able to back the nut off once you get the C clip off. If you get the nut off then you can look at the adjuster to see if it is stripped and not the nut itself. Have a look at PMB's video on You Tube for more info on the adjuster and nut setup. The nut is thin and not typical to what you would find at Home Depot. Give Eric Shea a call at PMB, he is the master.
If your adjuster is stripped that will require a little more work, maybe a rebuild of the caliper.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Sep 13 2014, 12:09 AM) *

There is a small C clip before the nut that keeps the nut from backing off the adjuster. This C clip needs to come off. You maybe able to back the nut off once you get the C clip off. If you get the nut off then you can look at the adjuster to see if it is stripped and not the nut itself. Have a look at PMB's video on You Tube for more info on the adjuster and nut setup. The nut is thin and not typical to what you would find at Home Depot. Give Eric Shea a call at PMB, he is the master.
If your adjuster is stripped that will require a little more work, maybe a rebuild of the caliper.

No C Clip.

Ugh....

Anyone in SoCal have a spare nut? I will replace it, just need to get this done.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
KaptKaos
Local hardware store has 8mm jam nuts. Bought a few and some dremel cut off wheels.

Will post progress later. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
This thread is scary. It's your brakes! Do it right (and what you propose is NOT right, IMO!), or park it.

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
Don't worry Cap'n.

I did get the jam nut off, but the threads on the adjustment are too buggered up. I can't get a replacement on.

So it looks like I need to replace the caliper. Which sucks and wasn't something I was looking forward to doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.