Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb and Megasquir/injection questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CatDaddy60
Couple of quick question about carbs. I currently as an interam solution have a weber progressive on the car ( Not going to argue the merits or lake thereof ) I also have a pair of downdraft Kardon style VW Bus carbs and manifolds that can be mounted and used. Have any of you used bot of these setups and how would they compare?

Second question is this On the VW bus manifolds are places that can be machined to accept injectors which would allow me to run a pair of throttle bodies one per bank of cylinders. Using a 1.8 engine and stock cam with say a Bursch exhaust and oxy sensor would this give me an overall better running engine? and with that setup where would you put a cold start valve?

I understand if you guys state Why doesn't this guy just throw this induction or that injection on it and be done? But to be perfectly honest cash for this project is extremely limited and I LOVE the car. The one time I successfully drove this car was on a spring day heading east on I90 going up Snoqualmie Pass, top down and AeroSmiths Sweet emotion playing on the cassette player. Late afternoon with a scent of Pine in the air, The world aligned and all was right, One day I hope to get this car back to that but I digress. Again thank you for your time and please understand I do weigh all the options that are shared I just may not have the funds to do that.
Dave_Darling
No question--duals are better; even dual Kads.

If you can put together all of the proper stuff for the injection, it will probably give you better performance and driveability and economy. But there's a lot more involved than just sticking injectors into the manifolds.

Cold-start enrichment can be handled by the regular fuel injectors. You'll have to put a good throttle position sensor on one carb body, though, as you won't have a good signal for manifold vacuum and you'll have to rely on the throttle position for how much fuel the engine needs. (This is called "alpha-N", BTW.) And of course the wiring will all need to be custom.

....And then there's the tuning, which can be a long and tedious process....

But the results will be better than either carb setup, IMHO.

--DD
rhodyguy
You would be time and money ahead just sourcing a ljet setup rather than re-working the manifolds and figuring out fuel management. The kadrons might work. Again, a used carb setup. Trying them out will answer the question.
CatDaddy60
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2014, 10:57 AM) *

You would be time and money ahead just sourcing a ljet setup rather than re-working the manifolds and figuring out fuel management. The kadrons might work. Again, a used carb setup. Trying them out will answer the question.

LJet comes from which vehicles?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(CatDaddy60 @ Sep 13 2014, 06:11 PM) *

LJet comes from which vehicles?

Several, including 1.8L 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.