Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Carpet Kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
Who sells the closest to original carpet for a 914-6?
My carpet is 88k miles old

Thanks

Gene
rhodyguy
What kind of shape is your current set in? Is it the original carpet? Look for a company in your area that cleans FINE carpets in their facility. Not a wall to wall in house carpet cleaner.
xsurfer
Carpet is original 1971 tan. Worn, fades, plastic heel protector is cracked. Needs replacement

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2014, 11:41 AM) *

What kind of shape is your current set in? Is it the original carpet? Look for a company in your area that cleans FINE carpets in their facility. Not a wall to wall in house carpet cleaner.

Harpo
World upholstery and trim did mine very nice but not cheap

David
Johny Blackstain
Good luck finding tan/beige that even remotely resembles OEM... I've been unable to. AA has a very nice set that's close, but not quite exact. If you can figure out who makes it for them you can probably order direct from them & save a lot of $kins. Pictured is the AA set in my 6.
dem
Search the archives for "brown carpet" and a bunch of samples and images will show up (including the tans/beiges)

Basically as noted, nothing is going to match the factory perfectly, neither the carpet or trim/etc.

The "german loop" carpet materials are definitely much nicer than the domestics and cut piles.

This was my kit from James, made with german loop.

IPB Image
xsurfer
Thanks Guys! I searched the web but couldn't find the correct carpet. I now know that the color currently made.

Thanks

Gene
xsurfer
Thanks Guys! I searched the web but couldn't find the correct carpet. I now know that the color currently made.

Thanks

Gene
GregAmy
QUOTE(xsurfer @ Sep 14 2014, 10:06 AM) *

Mark at 914Rubber has been putting together a setup for me, but it's been a long time in coming...
CptTripps
If your old set is still in good physical shape, just take them all out, cut your own, and replace it all. I made templates off of mine, and will have the areas bound by a local upholstery shop. There are a LOT of resources online that you can buy yards of decent automotive carpet.

PLEASE don't just go to Home Depot and buy patio carpet. It's not the same.
bembry
That looks great--Who is James? How can I get this?
piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(dem @ Sep 13 2014, 04:48 PM) *

Search the archives for "brown carpet" and a bunch of samples and images will show up (including the tans/beiges)

Basically as noted, nothing is going to match the factory perfectly, neither the carpet or trim/etc.

The "german loop" carpet materials are definitely much nicer than the domestics and cut piles.

This was my kit from James, made with german loop.

IPB Image

r_towle
Try Autos International

They do many 356 cars with Original German weave...

Stoddards may also have some of the carpet.
akellym
I've sent a couple of messages to 914rubber but I'm not getting a reply. I'm looking for black German loop carpet OEM or as close as I can get.

Thanks!
Heeltoe914
Well maybe I'm just cheap. What I would consider doing Gene is finding a giant tub, wash bucket a bottle of Simple Green a scrub brush and some gloves you will be surprised how nice they could come out.. The only thing you can't change is if they are sun faded. It's worth a try in my opinion especially for an original six... Even black/ grey carpet is still hard to get original match..
Mikey914
QUOTE(akellym @ May 2 2016, 11:35 AM) *

I've sent a couple of messages to 914rubber but I'm not getting a reply. I'm looking for black German loop carpet OEM or as close as I can get.

Thanks!

Dropped you a PM.
We no longer use the cheesy foot pads that look like they are for a Ford Mustang. I'll see if I can help, just awaiting some pics to the email in the PM.
-Mark
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2014, 10:33 PM) *

Try Autos International

I agree....
There is no way to match original material.
Buy running material (as used in 356s) from Autos Int. or Stoddard in a complimentary color, then have it bound (the edges finished in a appropriate color)

Biggles
if you're that stuck and want to go the distance, try Southbound in the UK who have a very good reputation:

www.southboundtrimmers.com/

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 3 2016, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2014, 10:33 PM) *

Try Autos International

I agree....
There is no way to match original material.
Buy running material (as used in 356s) from Autos Int. or Stoddard in a complimentary color, then have it bound (the edges finished in a appropriate color)

Mikey914
QUOTE(akellym @ May 2 2016, 11:35 AM) *

Thanks!

Never got a PM back from you so I'll post the pics here

This is the early black that should be most correct.
Mikey914
The domestic black I have is less expensive but you have a hard time telling the difference between the domestic and imported. The German is more dense, and has a better backing to it, but is it worth 2x the materials cost..... Maybe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.