Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hybrid Annihilator is born!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Yep, its all finished except the shroud install, and the carbs,etc!

I plan on getting it on the dyno on Friday!!!

Look here for some pics of the longbock and heads
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/r_d_hybrid.htm

This engine has all sorts of wildness! It has an Ion Nitrided crank, ceramic lifters, phosphate and teflon coated bearings, Nickisil cylinders,Titanium pushrods Hybrid heads with DLC coated valves as well as many other DLC coated parts (basically every part that sees direct metal contact including rocker shafts, dizzy drive pinion, and etc

We took some big risks with one aspect of this combo by running a new ring package with the Nickies- We'll soon know how it works.

This engine is also the Dyno test pig for the 914 DTM as it will be installed in my 73, everything fitted and jigged in the car and then added to our production line up!

SOON! Hope to have some 200HP numbers to throw out on Friday!
ArtechnikA
looks great !

"i don't do 4's" but i appreciate solid engineering when i see it.

all the best for continued success!
Mark Henry
Cool work Buddy! IPB Image

So when do you want the cash for my crank, rods and cam?
The coin is burning a hole in my pants...just say when IPB Image
spunone
Jake your just one Damm Scary Dude IPB Image
SGB
A
M
A
Z
I
N
G
!
Are you gonna video the dyno experience? I just want to hear it. It looks diabolical!
IPB Image
seanery
that looks sweet!
914werke
CARBS! IPB Image Where is the Kit Carlson MOJO in this pkg? IPB Image
eeyore
Where's the black heat dispersant on the heads?
Jake Raby
No heat dispersent or chamber coatings on this one... Since it is going to be used for cooling system testing for the development of the 914 DTM and since most guys are not going to shell out the bucks for it I decided it could throw off my data from reality...

As for Kit Carlson Vs. carbs...
This car is a test vehicle. It must stay simple enough for an engine R&R in less than an hour..
There is no replacement for simplicity in this case..

Plus, I need to get dyno data and tuning info from it for my recipe book, so when someone assembles this kit I can hold their hand and actually get some where..

Everything I do has a reason.
jwalters
IPB Image GIVE ME STORE ! IPB Image

IPB Image You give me store NOW ! or NO SOUP FOR YOU ! IPB Image

GIMMME GIMMME GIMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Jake Raby
What store??

Grocery store??
Andyrew
Now I just thought of something... probably not very effective... but what about running some water injectors on the top of the cylanders to cool the cylanders and heads?? Like at WOT only...

Would that really do anything???

Or how about a aircooled/watercooled system with small water veins in the heads that you use a tiny radiator for?? like cool the heads maybe 20-50 degree's..

I just thinkin...

What do you think Mr. Aircooled man?

BTW, This is a very interesting setup! I cant wait to see some dyno numbers.
Jake Raby
I have this set up on my bus engine.. I used CIS injectors from ammercedes and inject a mist of coolant that is normally used in mills/lathes over the heads when climbing huge hills... It works okay.
Andyrew
I just thought it would be a possiblility for you to be able to get the last umph if you can run the engine hotter...

Good to know that it does do something..
ottox914
Would using a small injector to spray a fine mist of water in front of the cooling fan provide any help? I expect the fan would dispurse the mist to the cyl's as well as the heads, although the heads are probably where the cooling is needed the most.
tat2dphreak
abso-fucking-lutely, un-fucking-believable, a-fucking-mazing!!

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image rocking nana.gif
anthony
With the square port heads I assume that one's only option is a custom exhaust or something like the Tangerine header that uses stub pipes. Right?
Root_Werks
Dang Jake, if ever I did a 914-4, that would be the ticket! IPB Image
Jake Raby
We have stub pipe conversions for systems that utilize them..
I also make an adaptor that welds on the heater box!

The engine is almost done- adding the shroud now.. Pics tomorrow- I'm on the dyno all day today..
Brando
Hot damn Jake that sounds awesome! Can't wait to see the output of that powerplant...

Question, seeing as you guys have the skills and machines, ever contemplated taking a /6 case, cutting out the middle 2 cylinders and welding it up so you get the 911's chain drive for the overhead valves and oil pump system? I've heard of it done before, made some good power with DOHC... (rumored)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 27 2005, 05:11 PM)
Hot damn Jake that sounds awesome! Can't wait to see the output of that powerplant...

Question, seeing as you guys have the skills and machines, ever contemplated taking a /6 case, cutting out the middle 2 cylinders and welding it up so you get the 911's chain drive for the overhead valves and oil pump system? I've heard of it done before, made some good power with DOHC... (rumored)

been done before. WAY too much money. who did it??? i forgot...do a search and you shall see. pretty cool. custom cams crank etc.
seanery
i believe it was about 240 hp and lotsa $ - $40k comes to mind for some reason.
Brando
I can imagine... need custom camshafts, chains, crank, cooling tin & shroud... that stuff aint in the cheapzone for normal 911 parts either IPB Image Worth the horsepower? Dunno... At least you can use the 911-style alternator and cooling tin, to a degree.
redshift
It's been done more than once IPB Image

Jake, you are a nut! COOL!

M
scotty b
IPB Image last I heard the guy that built the original is actually having blocks made now instead of cutting up 6 cyl. ones. I guess he has customers! I saw one at the speedster anniversary in Yorktown,looked damn good! IPB Image
Jake Raby
Thats the polopolous 4 cylinder 911 engine...

I'll take a TIV anyday over it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.