Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6V Ford Solenoid/Relay Wire Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Going to install a 6V 3 terminal Ford Solenoid/Relay in my '74 2.0L. I've read all the many arguments for and against it, and have decided to install it.

Does anyone know the proper gauge wire for the 3 connections?? Are a #6 and 2 #10's enough?

Also, are the 2 large Ford terminals interchangeable or is 1 terminal designated from the battery and the other to the spade on the stock 914 solenoid??

Paul
76-914
I think the spade on the left is the one you want. Ohm it out to confirm. You can use a 9v batt to test on the bench. IIRC, it takes < 4V to open a Ford solenoid.
Bet you never read a complaint from someone that has one installed. lol-2.gif
Mark Henry
#10 from the 12v bolt on the bosch solenoid to the one big nut on the ford solenoid then #10 to a female spade, plug that into the bosch solenoid.
It doesn't matter what side you use, it's just a switch.

I use a bolt in spade on the ford solenoid little nut terminal or you can make a short adapter lead.
This way I cut no wires on the harness.

BTW I also enlarge and carefully bend one mounting tab and use the lower starter mounting stud to mount the ford solenoid. I drill no holes in the body.
If you do this you have to take care bending the tab as not to damage the bakelite body of the ford solenoid.
AvalonFal
#10 wire - thanks.

I actually mounted the Ford solenoid to the back of the vertical engine tin after I bent out the mounting tabs a bit. The tin acts as a ground through the mounting bolts, so that works out and with both mounting holes used with nuts on the engine side of the tin, it's securely on there

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.