Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Step right up, print out a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
Looks interesting, but by the time all the NHTSA requirements are met, it won't be so simple.

It could certainly make for a nice, affordable race chassis!
maf914
A couple of weeks ago while browsing auto racing I ran across an article concerning 3D printing at Strakka Racing and their Dome LMP. I couldn't find that original article, but a Google search gave me some links.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140902-str...-in-london.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+print+LM...mp;ved=0CB0QsAQ

The 3D model caught my eye because it looks like a resin scale model kit. I have built a few of those, but they have become pretty expensive so I have backed off from that.
EdwardBlume
3D printing has the potential of changing how business is done. No more logistics!
ruby914
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 15 2014, 05:46 AM) *

3D printing has the potential of changing how business is done. No more logistics!

agree.gif
It will!
At work we have been printing small complex jigs for years.

Not long ago, I took a course on Innovation. The topic came up many times.
One of the MEs working on the James Webb Space Telescope happened to have some 3D printed titanium parts in his office next door. I don't know if the parts will make it into space but they may.
I had heard about printing metal but this was the first I had seen.
Two hinge parts, each about 2 lbs, larger than my hand, about 5/8 thick. They still needed final machining. He said they had all the same properties as non-printed TI.

It is the future.
CptTripps
It's funny that a lot of the things that were "futuristic" in The Minority Report have come to reality. Thank god not the reason for the plot...but the tech is cool.

I'll bet you could put together some absurd chassis designs with a setup like that. Watching the time-lapse of the cockpit being "built" was pretty cool.

I'd love to see someone like FactoryFive put something together where you get the cockpit/chassis/body and take parts off of a donor to build up something new and cool. That'd be pretty rad.
davep
NASA Invents Multi-Metals 3D Printing
http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?secti...p;doc_id=274598
whatabout1
Wow ! Printing metals.
JeffBowlsby
The tech is a game changer. The Chinese are printing BUILDINGS. Don't critique the architecture too much, that can/will change.

http://www.designboom.com/technology/3d-pr...rce=subscribers

No more obsolete parts where the mold was broken...

'Give me a few minutes, let me find the file...I'll print one up for you. Amazon Air will deliver it by the end of the day to your doorstep."
r_towle
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 15 2014, 10:31 PM) *

The tech is a game changer. The Chinese are printing BUILDINGS. Don't critique the architecture too much, that can/will change.

http://www.designboom.com/technology/3d-pr...rce=subscribers

No more obsolete parts where the mold was broken...

'Give me a few minutes, let me find the file...I'll print one up for you. Amazon Air will deliver it by the end of the day to your doorstep."

Nope, kinkos or staples will print it for you locally
KELTY360
Yeah, but can they make it rust? shades.gif
biosurfer1
Anyone else think 3-D printing buildings will cause land values to skyrocket?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 15 2014, 08:22 PM) *

No, the value will be the same, just the cost to build reduced by a factor of transport and time and customization.
EdwardBlume
Everyone will have a printer. Imagine wanting to buy the game Sorry. You find it online, pay a license fee for the design, and print out all the materials. No car ride to Target, no stock at Target, no freight, no manufacturing in China.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 16 2014, 06:34 AM) *

No, the value will be the same, just the cost to build reduced by a factor of transport and time and customization.

Exactly...so when the cost to build goes down, there is more money that can be spent on buying a better piece of property.

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 16 2014, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 16 2014, 06:34 AM) *

Exactly...so when the cost to build goes down, there is more money that can be spent on buying a better piece of property.

This is already what happens...first 3 rules of real estate, location, location, location...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.