Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is why it feels like i have no Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
i apollogize in advance for the crappy picture phone pics (which cost .25$ per pic IPB Image )

so...why dont a feel like my sway bar is doing anything? MAYBE BECAUSE THE UTAB UNWELDED AND TOOK THE DROP LINK WITH IT!!!!!!!!
IPB Image IPB Image

PIC 1 - drivers side... this is what the pass side is supposed to look like!
Aaron Cox
IPB Image IPB Image and the UTAB of doom that took my tarett droplink with it!

notice the missing utab?????
TonyAKAVW
Doh! I am in the process of installing a sway bar on my car and discovered that the arms already have the U-tabs installed. Before I found that out I made up some U-tabs from some steel that is a bit thicker than the stock tabs. If you want one or both you can have them. They are a bit ugly but they should work fine.

-Tony
Aaron Cox
a new set of drop links is 136.00 at pelican. IPB Image
anthony
Why do pictures from your phone cost $.25? Can't you connect your phone to your computer to download them?
seanery
dude, that sucks...I'd make sure the other side is securely fashioned...who welded it for you?
I'd probably have a beef with him.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 26 2005, 06:00 PM)
dude, that sucks...I'd make sure the other side is securely fashioned...who welded it for you?
I'd probably have a beef with him.

hans and ferdinand at the factory IPB Image
SLITS
Bring it down here.....I can't weld worth a shit, but I'll make it stick!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2005, 06:11 PM)

i would if i still had the u tab IPB Image it and the droplink are somewhere in southern california on a road.... IPB Image
nebreitling
dooood. that sucks, sorry.
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 26 2005, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2005, 06:11 PM)

i would if i still had the u tab IPB Image it and the droplink are somewhere in southern california on a road.... IPB Image

I believe I have "A" arms with "U" tabs here. Bring KY IPB Image Drop links can be made - 2 Heim joints and threaded hex bar...sorry no anodizing equipment.
Aaron Cox
nate, you think you can fool me that easily?

i know you broke my utab so i wouldnt beat you at the 914 cup! IPB Image JK
ron..... hook me me up... IPB Image

left and right hand threads
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 26 2005, 06:57 PM)

i know you broke my utab so i wouldnt beat you at the 914 cup! IPB Image JK
ron..... hook me me up... IPB Image

Need a machine shop to drill and tap the hex bar.....Heim joints...do a search online. I'll look in my stash and see if I have one that is already made up that could be useable.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2005, 07:03 PM)

i know you broke my utab so i wouldnt beat you at the 914 cup!  :lol:  JK
ron..... hook me me up...  :worship:

Need a machine shop to drill and tap the hex bar.....Heim joints...do a search online. I'll look in my stash and see if I have one that is already made up that could be useable.

i gots a few things ya could weld IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 26 2005, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2005, 07:03 PM)

i know you broke my utab so i wouldnt beat you at the 914 cup!  :lol:  JK
ron..... hook me me up...  :worship:

i gots a few things ya could weld IPB Image

I can think of a few things that I would like to weld up on you! IPB Image
nebreitling
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 26 2005, 05:57 PM)

i know you broke my utab so i wouldnt beat you at the 914 cup!

if you think that's bad, you should see what i did to sabotage trekkor's car!
swood
Did you take those photos while the car was underwater or something?? Swimming with the fishies?

THis is being overused lately (IMO) IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Once again, Ira Ramin of tarett engineering cares for his clientelle. A new drop link has been sourced.

Ira, your the man! IPB Image

everybody - if your in the market for a swaybar, i can only say good things about Ira, and tarett.
Trekkor
you should see what i did to sabotage trekkor's car!

He's naughty. IPB Image

Aaron, here's the drops from SRP.
The links attach to the a-arm round rod instead of the stock u-tabs. Better location as it reduces stress on the joints.

KT
skline
Well, it makes me wonder how you lost the drop link? If it was all bolted in good and tight, the link may break off the bottom but should stay on the bar itself. You must not have had it as tight as it should have been.
John
Those U-tabs tend to rip off with some regularity on our track car. I think it may be a sign that the sway bar is set too stiff.

Sometimes the ear will tear in half, and other times the whole thing has ripped off the top of the a-arm. The last time this happened, I reinforced the u-tabs enough that they probably won't tear off again. However, the next weaker link was the sheet metal where the bar goes through in the fenderwell. I had one of those rip loose. So I reinforced that area.

I don't know that the round tube portion of the a-arm is strong enough to be effective as a mount location of the sway bar. My gut feeling is that the round tube will bend.

This winter I went with large torsion bars in hopes that I can soften the front bar to the point that I'm no longer over stressing the sway bar mount locations.

I never lost a droplink from tearing a u-tab from an a-arm. I use shake proof nuts on all that stuff and everything just hangs on for the ride once broke free.

My car really handles like crap without the bar working. (so it's easy to tell when it happens)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 26 2005, 09:52 PM)
Well, it makes me wonder how you lost the drop link? If it was all bolted in good and tight, the link may break off the bottom but should stay on the bar itself. You must not have had it as tight as it should have been.

both had lock nuts on them.... what ever btroke the tab exposed the link to be able to fly around..... IPB Image

thanks for the tip pops/......
Stutgart46
My did the same thing. Weltmeister. I wasn't sure if it was installed incorrectly or what but it snapped after the first DE. Luckily I had an extra drop link and switched it out. I didn't have another problem with it.
Flat VW
un-welded, a term I am not familiar with......

I thought one "un-welded with one of these IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.