Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about door jam/quarter panel joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carl k
Click to view attachment

I read that these two parts came from the factory as a single replacement. Are they spot welded, seam welded or braized? How hard would it be to replace the quarter panel using this as the splice (instead of replacing the quarter + jam together?)

thanks!
Carl K.
nathansnathan
The 2 pieces are spot welded together.
Probably best to not mess with the seam if you don't have to; just section out what is needed and butt weld the new metal in. The seams will create complication. The easier you can make the repair, the better, easiest being butt welding a single layer, which is what the whole rear quarter panel/fender is (except the rearmost part and the sail panel). Steer clear of the door handle as there's a double layer around it, and the air inlet tube is complicated as well. If yours are ok, leave them be.
914werke
agree.gif
in addition, the area at the top of the jamb intersecting with the fresh air tube & sail is leaded from the factory headbang.gif smash.gif welder.gif
carl k
Thanks for the input. I found out how "ugly" the area around the fresh air tube is when I removed the replacement quarter panel!

I will try to butt weld the new quarter on. Making the joint at the seam will also help since the sheet metal will be two layers thick. Less chance to blow through.

Carl K.

nathansnathan
The problem with welding by the seam is that it's not going to be clean metal between. Best case scenario, you have new weld through primer only in between. That stuff doesn't work that well for mig or tig - best to use a spot welder. You can't clean up between afterward, so the joint becomes a weak spot for more rust to form.

Butt welding is welding 2 pieces butted up to one another - there's no double layers involved. Just back the weld and there's no danger of blow through. Do it where it's single layered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.