Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mint/Near Mint OEM USA Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
Mint/near mint OEM USA lenses. Curious as to what they are worth. Contemplating selling them or keeping them for my Creamsicle. I currently have Euro lenses (driving lenses/tail lights) as I prefer the look of them. But should it be in a major car show (may be in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance) or for any reason for originality (LEs were USA only, so should have USA lenses), to keep them for such an occasion. But OEM lenses in new condition are next to impossible to find, so they would being some nice coin. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
USA driving lenses (close up)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
USA driving lenses (close up)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Side marker lenses (close up)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Side marker lenses (close up)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
USA tail light lenses (close up)

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I'm going to guess & say US lenses in that good a shape are worth a lot, especially to the concours people. I too had euro lenses on my LE for a very brief period of time & caught flak from Bowlsby & Garvey, so I put the US lenses back & have the euros on my 6 smile.gif
tumamilhem

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Tail light separation reflector (inside tail lights)
Note: one tab (not guide) is broken off (typical and not visible when installed)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Tail light separation reflector (inside tail lights)
Note: one tab (not guide) is broken off (typical and not visible when installed)

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 15 2014, 03:30 PM) *

I'm going to guess & say US lenses in that good a shape are worth a lot, especially to the concours people. I too had euro lenses on my LE for a very brief period of time & caught flak from Bowlsby & Garvey, so I put the US lenses back & have the euros on my 6 smile.gif

If you have two cars, then sure. I've always had two, but sold my red one not too long ano and only have the LE now. And if I had a second car again, I'd probably put USA lenses on the LE and Euros on the more daily driver. But I'm wondering since these are in like new condition, if I should just sell them. Then again, I want my LE to be the best it can be. Even though they're not on the car (but wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and boxed).
Larmo63
Keep them.
Johny Blackstain
I just checked the AA website & they sell their US repros & OEM Euro lenses for $200 a pair. Since OEM US lenses are now unobtanium, it would figure that they'd go for more. I keep my LE stock & even have extra set of wheels & a stock muffler on hand if I have to go full original, since I'm running fat tires & a Bursch exhaust.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=905-05
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 15 2014, 04:01 PM) *

Keep them.

Damn. When Clint Eastwood says "Keep them", you don't argue...punk. lol
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 15 2014, 04:07 PM) *

I just checked the AA website & they sell their US repros & OEM Euro lenses for $200 a pair. Since OEM US lenses are now unobtanium, it would figure that they'd go for more. I keep my LE stock & even have extra set of wheels & a stock muffler on hand if I have to go full original, since I'm running fat tires & a Bursch exhaust.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php

I know the tail lights alone have gone for more than $500.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 15 2014, 12:25 PM) *
LEs were USA only

confused24.gif
bmendel
when you decide what you want, let me know. I have an otherwise pretty original car (orig paint, interior, low miles), but a previous owner did switch all the lenses to euro style. Been meaning to look for proper lenses, but hadn't gotten around to looking yet.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 15 2014, 04:13 PM) *

LEs were USA only

confused24.gif

According to Bowlsbys' Bible laugh.gif this is true:

LE- USA
SL- Japan
GT- Europe (not 914-6 GT, just 914 GT)
Larmo63
I have a really nice set of USA spec lenses that I would swap for Euro style. (rears only)
tumamilhem

LEs were USA only

confused24.gif

Correct. The LE Can Am tribute car was only available in the USA as it was a tribute to the Canadian American races that Porsche dominated (not Europe). There was a European special edition (very few), reminiscent of the LE , with difference appearances than the LE Can Am, most notably no PORSCHE script on the side since in Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW-Porsche, presence of vinyl sail trim and a few other differentiating cosmetics and safety features that differed between the US and European models (such as no bumperettes on Euro models), and of course the lenses - the VW-Porsche 914 GT Jubiläumsmodell. This car however, was not a Can Am tribute car, but to mark the 100,000 production of the 914 as a marketing effort to sell more 914s.

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 15 2014, 04:29 PM) *

I have a really nice set of USA spec lenses that I would swap for Euro style. (rears only)

I have a very nice set of Euro lenses on my LE. So I have one set of each. If I didn't have my uber nice USA lenses, I'd likely swap to have USA lenses for LE originality.

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
But back to the value of these lenses... any hypothesis of their value?
balljoint
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 15 2014, 04:30 PM) *

LEs were USA only

confused24.gif

Correct. The LE Can Am tribute car was only available in the USA as it was a tribute to the Canadian American races that Porsche dominated (not Europe). There was a European special edition (very few), reminiscent of the LE , with difference appearances than the LE Can Am, most notably no PORSCHE script on the side since in Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW-Porsche, presence of vinyl sail trim and a few other differentiating cosmetics and safety features that differed between the US and European models (such as no bumperettes on Euro models), and of course the lenses - the VW-Porsche 914 GT Jubiläumsmodell. This car however, was not a Can Am tribute car, but to mark the 100,000 production of the 914 as a marketing effort to sell more 914s.

Can Am

rolleyes.gif
914Sixer
The front turn signal lens are still available from Hella. I have seen the NOS rear lens ASKING price at around $300 each and NOS complete rear assemblies at $500. Last price on side markers were at $90. Since your parts are "used" expect offers at 50-75% of current asking price. Selling and buying are all relative to what you want to sell at and the buyer is willing to pay.

SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 15 2014, 01:30 PM) *
LEs were USA only

confused24.gif

The "Limited Edition" cars were sold in the US, Europe and Japan under different labels and slightly different visuals, but you can't tell me they weren't all part of the same "Limited Edition" idea, just marketed with region appropriate small differences.
smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
A USA 914 LE with Euro lenses...?...gasp...how can you sleep at night?

Do the right thing... wink.gif
dlkawashima
$500 is chump change compared to the value of an all original LE car. If anything, sell the Euro lenses.
bandjoey
agree Keep 'em.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 15 2014, 06:15 PM) *

A USA 914 LE with Euro lenses...?...gasp...how can you sleep at night?

Do the right thing... wink.gif

Haha I hear you, buddy. I can sleep because I have near mint USA lenses safely wrapped in bubble wrap. smile.gif
porbmw
I'd keep them....guess is that price of these items will only go up.

Re the availability of the front Hella turn signal lenses. They ARE available. However, my impression is that the "old"/original ones may be a darker yellow than the ones currently available. If so, that makes your old OEM ones more valuable.

If my impression re darkness is incorrect, would appreciate hearing of if.

Paul
nein14
I have a near perfect pair of French rear Lenses what are they worth?
eric9144
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 15 2014, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 15 2014, 04:07 PM) *

http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php

I know the tail lights alone have gone for more than $500.

One side, complete assembly is still available from PCNA "NOS" for right around $500, ask me how I know, I bought one in the last year or so. That is/was complete--the entire TS assembly with reflectors and lens (can't remember if it was Left or right).

I've picked up NOS rear's from Flea-Bay for <$200 each, at this point I think that's a fair price considering the fakes are $200/pr and don't meet the quality from what I've seen (the tint is all wrong IMO)

As far as front's and side markers--I've got 3 or so sets of each bc I saw the prices shooting up and I have CW and parts hoarding tendencies... I think I was paying on average about $30 each front lens and $25ish for side marker "complete" (assembly and lens, NOS)

If you don't "need the money" you might want to hold on to them as they're getting harder and harder to find, fakes are crap and you have an LE to keep pristine...

Prices are only going up as supply goes down.
eric9144
QUOTE(nein14 @ Sep 16 2014, 06:29 AM) *

I have a near perfect pair of French rear Lenses what are they worth?

Now those...those are worth $$$$$$$ beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.