Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben and Ralph
So I have a couple more things to deal with before I upgrade my exhaust but I still want to get a good idea of what I want to do with it. I have a 72 1.7 with 93mm pistons (basically a 1.8) with 1.8/1.7 ssi heat exchangers and a monza ehaust. The monza muffler is really heavy and apparently restricts exhaust flow but i love how loud it is. Im wondering if A) swap out the monza for something else, triad (don't really like the look), custom muffler.. ect. and keep the ssi's B) Swap out the heat exchangers for kerry hunter, european race haeders, custom headers, ect along with a different muffler. I want your opinion, I don't really care about having heat as it does not get cold here in southern cali, I want an exhaust system that can possibly bring me a bit more hp, looks good, sounds nice and loud, and doesn't cost a fortune $$$$. Love the look of the 914/6 gt muffler, too bad I don't have a 6!
partsman
I know I'm about to be completely flammed for this, but I recently bought a ANSA exhaust off a world memeber, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I was running the cherry bomb modified exhaust you see in the pics which was really loud, but very light.
Click to view attachment

The new exhaust is much much quieter, but a bit more heavy. I just put it on, and it's in great shape, so I can't comment on rust, but it seems pretty solid to me.

I have a '73 1.7, with stainless steel heat exchangers.... it's quiet enough to talk to someone standing next to the car and you can actually drive with the roof on without going deaf, but yet it still sounds nice when you get on it...
57lincolnman
QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 15 2014, 12:29 PM) *

I know I'm about to be completely flammed for this, but I recently bought a ANSA exhaust off a world memeber, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I was running the cherry bomb modified exhaust you see in the pics which was really loud, but very light.
Click to view attachment

The new exhaust is much much quieter, but a bit more heavy. I just put it on, and it's in great shape, so I can't comment on rust, but it seems pretty solid to me.

I have a '73 1.7, with stainless steel heat exchangers.... it's quiet enough to talk to someone standing next to the car and you can actually drive with the roof on without going deaf, but yet it still sounds nice when you get on it...

I bought a street system from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. It's a great system and all of the plumbing is on the driver's side leaving lots of room on the passenger side for an auxiliary oil cooler. This was the main reason that I went to this system. It is LOUD and you will give up the heat exchanger on the passenger side so heat will be compromised. You can also choose the option to have a center stack for the exhaust. You'lll need to modify the rear valance for that. It really opened up the exhaust and a boost in power.
Dtjaden
I have the header and muffler set from European Racing and am very happy with it. 1 5/8" headers and a fairly loud muffler. Would not have it any other way. About half the cost of the Tangerine header and muffler.

https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/914...art-914-4-158h/

Although they don't show the muffler on the web site it is available if you call.
gothspeed
I have an extra cherry bomb like yours, it sounded pretty good during the engine break-in ... smile.gif

In case anyone needs it, it is available.
Ben and Ralph
Tangerine really does sound nice, but so much $$$. Does anyone know if triad makes different styles of mufflers? Or do they all pretty much look the same with the exhaust tips on both sides?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 17 2014, 01:29 AM) *

Tangerine really does sound nice, but so much $$$. Does anyone know if triad makes different styles of mufflers? Or do they all pretty much look the same with the exhaust tips on both sides?

If you're not concerned with squeezing the most out of your engine, I've just completed prototype testing of a new 100% stainless muffler for 2L heat exchangers.
It will be available in multiple outlet styles including stock (left corner), twin center tip (fairly loud), dual spread tips, and opposite corner (for those who prefer to be different).
The muffler is much lighter and more compact than our previous EVO IV design.
One with a stock outlet is on my car right now, after testing the twin tip for a few weeks. Sound level is very comfortable with the stock outlet style.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 17 2014, 02:29 AM) *

the triad is made with either one or two outlet i believe, but it sounds like
the new one Chris is making from Tangerine might be a good choice for you!
i wonder what the price point will be popcorn[1].gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 15 2014, 01:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'm not gonna flame you for your purchase because I'm too busy laughing at you.

The Cap'n
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Sep 16 2014, 10:04 PM) *

I have the header and muffler set from European Racing and am very happy with it. 1 5/8" headers and a fairly loud muffler. Would not have it any other way.

agree.gif
WORTH the cost to go to a 4->1 collector style header vs. OEM style heat exchangers. My euro header is ceramic coated, has a magnaflow muffler, and has been awesome for the last 5 years. You'll need to protect the speedo and clutch cable w heat shrouding.

It sounds like I'm going way faster! biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
partsman
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2014, 10:58 AM) *

The Cap'n

You were exactly the person I was expecting the flames from... shades.gif

And yet I still went ahead and posted the pictures.... and I love the exhaust... and I live in Rustachusetts, so when (if) it ever rusts, I'll buy something more to your approval.
r_towle
QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 17 2014, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2014, 10:58 AM) *

The Cap'n

You were exactly the person I was expecting the flames from... shades.gif

And yet I still went ahead and posted the pictures.... and I love the exhaust... and I live in Rustachusetts, so when (if) it ever rusts, I'll buy something more to your approval.

I think John (wndsnd) has like 9 mufflers for a stock motor at this point.
Might wanna ask him as he moves towards he 2.7 six cylinder.

rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 17 2014, 09:52 AM) *

Here's a Solidworks rendering of the new muffler.
I'll take a pic of the prototype on my car too.
First run through cost analysis has them at $875 plus delivery, but I still need to verify the total labor and materials costs.
I may have a couple of prototypes available at reduced price.

Click to view attachment
Brian_Boss
OK, if somebody was brave enough to recommend the Monza, I will risk ridicule and offer my thoughts.

1) Keep your SSI's. The only noticeable gain you would get by replacing them would be by going to the full Tangerine system.

2) If you want something louder than stock, I think the Bursch "Quiet" (the one w/ a turbo style muffler, not the glasspack) is the best balance of cost/sound/HP.

3) On my 4 cyl car, I have a Bursch that on which I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow. I think it's the best _sounding_ 4 cyl exhaust I have heard (no performance claims made). Not ridiculously loud but a cool aggressive, raspy exhaust note with no drone.

4) I have wondered what you would get if you took a stock 914 2.0 muffler and performed something similar to the 911 "sport muffler" mod. That is, add two straight outlets in the center and close off the existing side outlet. I have never seen the inside of the 2 liter muffler so I have no idea if this will work.

bandjoey
SPL Meter is a free decibel meter app in the iPhone store.
It would help for people to take some readings from exactly 20 feet away to the rear and in the passenger seat to compare sound for an apples to apples comparison.

I've watched several videos of mufflers and it's reealy hard to tell the difference.

I like my factory 2.0 muffler and don't want one much louder. I keep looking at the Triad and just can't pull the trigger since I haven't seen one on a car. Same with Chris' muffler.

Just my 2cents.
carr914
Triad!

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Actually I only have one muffler left. A perfect German right exit 1.7.

Pm me if interested

John
914Sixer
It is hard to pick just one muffler because there are too many options for each individual taste. I have back dated 2.0 SSI with a stock Dansk on the 75.
Ben and Ralph
@ Brian, I have thought about this myself but I doubt it would perform well since it wasn't made for the exhaust to exit it out that way. I guess dansk makes something like this for 1.7/1.8 cars. Its just not available in the US. Dansk 1.8 muffler
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Sep 17 2014, 07:01 PM) *

3) On my 4 cyl car, I have a Bursch that on which I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow. I think it's the best _sounding_ 4 cyl exhaust I have heard (no performance claims made). Not ridiculously loud but a cool aggressive, raspy exhaust note with no drone.

agree.gif

Me too, but I used the magnaflow turbo with fiberglass packing and went as big as could be made to fit. It sounds great!

That said if I had the $$ I would go with one of Chris' new center outlet mufflers in a heartbeat.....
blackmoon
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 15 2014, 12:56 PM) *

So I have a couple more things to deal with before I upgrade my exhaust but I still want to get a good idea of what I want to do with it. I have a 72 1.7 with 93mm pistons (basically a 1.8) with 1.8/1.7 ssi heat exchangers and a monza ehaust. The monza muffler is really heavy and apparently restricts exhaust flow but i love how loud it is. Im wondering if A) swap out the monza for something else, triad (don't really like the look), custom muffler.. ect. and keep the ssi's B) Swap out the heat exchangers for kerry hunter, european race haeders, custom headers, ect along with a different muffler. I want your opinion, I don't really care about having heat as it does not get cold here in southern cali, I want an exhaust system that can possibly bring me a bit more hp, looks good, sounds nice and loud, and doesn't cost a fortune $$$$. Love the look of the 914/6 gt muffler, too bad I don't have a 6!

I have a used Bursch, which you should be able to use with your SS. pm if you decide to go that route. need to clear out some used parts
BobR
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Sep 18 2014, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 15 2014, 12:56 PM) *

I have a used Bursch, which you should be able to use with your SS. pm if you decide to go that route. need to clear out some used parts
How much for the used Bursch? I have a 76 2.0.

lonewolfe
Hey Chris! Will your new Evo 5 exhaust have O2 bungs for attaching an air fuel meter?

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 17 2014, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 17 2014, 09:52 AM) *

Here's a Solidworks rendering of the new muffler.
I'll take a pic of the prototype on my car too.
First run through cost analysis has them at $875 plus delivery, but I still need to verify the total labor and materials costs.
I may have a couple of prototypes available at reduced price.

Click to view attachment

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Oct 13 2014, 07:44 PM) *

Hey Chris! Will your new Evo 5 exhaust have O2 bungs for attaching an air fuel meter?

The newest design will still be called EVO IV. smile.gif
Yes it will have an O2 fitting as a standard feature.
We've begun preparing parts to build the first batch, which should be ready in a couple of weeks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.