Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 restoration update (tar mats and a parts car)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cn2800
As I've lurked for the last few weeks, I see a number of items coming up in group buys that I'll need if I want to complete this resto correctly. I put my name in for the strut wrench, but have held off on the others. What I'm wondering is how often do these sorts of buys come around? If I don't act now, will it be three years before I can get a correct compliance tag, or will another come up in six months?

Now, since I promised I wouldn't spend any money on this restoration until I knew what I was in for, I've spent the last two weeks doing free things. I got the car down to just the body shell:

Click to view attachment

And completed what I hope is the WORST job about restoring a 914 - removing the tar mats and trim adhesive from the interior:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Had the opportunity to pick up the parts car this afternoon:

Click to view attachment

She's pretty rough, and was originally Marathon Blue Metallic:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

One nice surprise was finding these in the trunk:

Click to view attachment

It's a '74, and I think a 1.7. The intake setup is a kind of goofy custom job, but the heat exchangers look relatively new. Will 1.7 heat exchangers work on a 2.0?

My goal is to have this project complete by 22 Aug of next year, so I'd like to thank you all in advance for the upcoming help and advice.
76-914
Yes they will fit but the restriction costs you some HP.
poorsche914
Are the heat exchangers stock or stainless steel?
If SS, then they work same as the 2.0 version and are no more or less restrictive.
They will bolt up fine to a 2.0 engine but you will also need to use the 1.7 muffler and mounting bar.

driving.gif
EdwardBlume
Look at all that garage space....... w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 16 2014, 10:17 AM) *

Look at all that garage space....... w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

agree.gif Seriously. I'm jealous.

Group buys? I haven't been around too much longer than you but it is my impression that few, if any of them, are critical to where you are right now in the restore process. If you find you end up needing something, just put a WTB on the classified and you'll probably have little trouble getting it (unless it's an original interior light lens or something). There are tons of people here willing to help find things.

Nice job on the tarboards and adhesive. Yes, that job SUCKS.
CptTripps
That's a nice looking tub!

agree.gif with everyone else. That garage is insane.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 16 2014, 10:41 AM) *

That's a nice looking tub!

agree.gif with everyone else. That garage is insane.

Yeah, so let me qualify my original answer. Because you DO have the space (and if you have the money), sure, jump in on any group buy you think you'll need. I have a tub in a similar state and I just feel it's probably better to allocate my space and my money toward those things I need now (or soon) and worry about the other when I get to it. 'Course, my garage is packed to the gills...
cn2800
Thanks! That shop was the reason I purchased an otherwise completely unremarkable house.

In appreciation for everyone here, I'd like to offer for free the one set of parts I know I won't be re-using: the BEAUTIFUL dealer-installed side guard moldings. They're in perfect shape, and I'll throw in a drill bit and chalk line for good measure.
barefoot
[quote name='cn2800' date='Sep 16 2014, 11:28 AM' post='2086709']
Thanks! That shop was the reason I purchased an otherwise completely unremarkable house.

Yes, we all have shop envy. w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
I can barely walk around mine until I get rid of some parts shelves, an engine stand, and spare engine. I'm just beginning re-assembly now.
Presuming you'll need lots of new weatherstripping, Mickey at 914 Rubber has some specials, I'm just at that stage with mine
DRPHIL914
Looks like a good starting point for sure!, are my eyes playing tricks on me or does the left side front have some accident damage? cant tell from the picture-

on the group buy thing they do come and go, i would get what you think you need the most. at times you will se something you know you will need and just cant pass up based on price. when i got my SS HE's i only pain $200! they were like new! but are the 1.7/1.8's - since i was ordering my muffler(triad) (i have a 2.0 motor) i was able to get a great deal on the H.E.'s and got the muffler and hanger that match it. The exhaust ports on the motors are all the same so you can put the 1.7-8 on a 2.0 just hve to match up the proper muffler and hanger - since mineis a 75 and those are horrible- they were leaking bad and rusted out, i tore those off and backdated to the 74 variety. much better IMHO. you mght be able to trade with someone if you want the 2.0's, but certainly can keep what you have.

phil

welcome.png
malcolm2
my 2 cents on the group buy...

I believe the vendor will offer a group buy on new items that they are just now making. A group buy helps cover the volume needed for a 1st run, testing and design costs, plus cover some or all of the mold or set up costs.

The items in the group buy are eventually available for purchase as part of that vendors regular items, they are just at regular prices now.

The parts should be available or "find-able" when you need them, but might cost more or might be free.

I have had lots of people "pay it forward" and I have done some of that as well to help a 914 brother out.

Good luck.
cn2800
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 16 2014, 02:33 PM) *

Looks like a good starting point for sure!, are my eyes playing tricks on me or does the left side front have some accident damage? cant tell from the picture-

on the group buy thing they do come and go, i would get what you think you need the most. at times you will se something you know you will need and just cant pass up based on price. when i got my SS HE's i only pain $200! they were like new! but are the 1.7/1.8's - since i was ordering my muffler(triad) (i have a 2.0 motor) i was able to get a great deal on the H.E.'s and got the muffler and hanger that match it. The exhaust ports on the motors are all the same so you can put the 1.7-8 on a 2.0 just hve to match up the proper muffler and hanger - since mineis a 75 and those are horrible- they were leaking bad and rusted out, i tore those off and backdated to the 74 variety. much better IMHO. you mght be able to trade with someone if you want the 2.0's, but certainly can keep what you have.

phil

welcome.png

Here's what the right-side heat exchangers from each car look like (parts car exchanger is the lower, shiny one):

Click to view attachment

I guess the big difference is the number of pipes to the muffler. The resto car had an original Dansk 'hotdog'.

These two mufflers are in the trunk of the parts car (along with a bunch of other items I haven't sorted through):

Click to view attachment

And here are a couple of the engine compartment on the parts car. I don't recognize the set-up here:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I don't think I'll have much need for heat or defrost since I'd tend to drive the car in pleasant weather, and I'm in the Texas Panhandle anyhow. I'm not sure I really have a need for nice heat exchangers, particularly if I'd wind up loosing horsepower. Thoughts?

cn2800
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 16 2014, 02:33 PM) *

phil

welcome.png

And no, your eyes are not playing tricks:

Click to view attachment

The collision damage is why the last owner bought this car and then the parts car. He never got around to starting, so I happened on the cars while trolling Craigslist one fateful night. The pair were cheap enough it was really just 'why the heck not' money. Plus it'll keep me out of trouble (idle hands and all).
theleschyouknow
cool project look forward to the progress glad to see another new Texan on the board welcome to the madness
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.