Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the Last Six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
I was searching through my collection of teener photos & came across this one. It's a shot I found years ago & was attached to an article on the pictured 914. It caught my eye instantly, since I'm not used to seeing flares on a car with those bumpers. At age 51 my memory is starting to fail me, laugh.gif , But I remember reading it was a one off special order for a long time customer. Knowing myself I probably read this in either VW/Porsche magazine or European Car magazine.

The car was supposed to be the very last six that ever came out of the factory & it was made after 914-6 production had stopped. Judging by the photo I will also presume that it was made during a time when 914 production was winding down.

A few things I've noticed about this car aside from euro lenses & flares w/ late model bumpers, is a lack of chrome (note the vent window post, front windshield gasket & trim pieces on the sail panels). Also of note are the "flared LE" front spoiler & the drivers mirror.

Anyone know anything else about this car or have any other photos?
SirAndy
That picture is from DGVWPB, the car is a '75 and was supposedly build by Porsche for a customer.
smile.gif
AZ914
For some reason I thought I remember it being a gift for Ferry Porsche....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 16 2014, 11:44 AM) *

That picture is from DGVWPB, the car is a '75 and was supposedly build by Porsche for a customer.
smile.gif

Cool! Does The Big VW/Porsche Book say anything else about it Andy? Anyone know what happened to the car & if it's still around? It's so unique looking smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 16 2014, 11:53 AM) *

For some reason I thought I remember it being a gift for Ferry Porsche....

I believe that was the 2nd 914-8
Chris H.
The other rumor is that it was built by a Porsche employee for himself.
laflaur
I believe the car that was constructed by the employee was a 916 clone w/o the roof. The Leffingwell book has a picture of it with the serial number.
Looks like the employee built car was 9140432451.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(laflaur @ Sep 16 2014, 12:40 PM) *

I believe the car that was constructed by the employee was a 916 clone w/o the roof. The Leffingwell book has a picture of it with the serial number.

I figured since it's a 75 it most likely has a 2.7 six attached to a 916 transaxle, but I don't know for sure. I'm also willing to presume the wheels/brakes/suspension are virtually identical to the 911s in the photo. There appears to be no oil cooler up front so I wouldn't say it's a "916 Targa" biggrin.gif May I ask what is "the Leffingwell" book?
horizontally-opposed
I remember this picture, and being just as intrigued with the look of the flares and those bumpers. It's a cool car for sure.

Nice visual notes, Johny. Rear rock guards and hood crest at the factory, too. The Turbo it's parked next to has interesting side stripes, similar to those seen on Louise Piech's personal narrow-body 930 with plaid stripes. Both appear to be parked in the customer service department, which might be the only interesting one in the world. And it was VERY interesting for a very long time...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 16 2014, 01:25 PM) *

I remember this picture, and being just as intrigued with the look of the flares and those bumpers. It's a cool car for sure.

Nice visual notes, Johny. Rear rock guards and hood crest at the factory, too. The Turbo it's parked next to has interesting side stripes, similar to those seen on Louise Piech's personal narrow-body 930 with plaid stripes. Both appear to be parked in the customer department, where a lot of interesting stuff went down...

I didn't even notice the crest on the hood since the shot is so bright there & didn't realize it had factory rock guards. Good eye! Windshield washer jets are black, not chrome, but I believe chrome production of those ended in 72 or 73, when they went to black plastic ones. I also suspect the steering column is from a 914-4, not a 914-6, but again pure speculation.
7TPorsh
kinda like the big bumpers on a wide body...
Larmo63
agree.gif
Dave_Darling
In various articles over the years, we have seen off-hand remarks about "One or two Sixes built by factory employees after the Six was out of production". That hints there may have been more of these done at some point, but purely onesey-twosey, and probably without official support.

--DD
ndfrigi
deleted
laflaur
Sorry ,the book is entitled "Porsche Legends" inside history of the epic cars.
pp140-143.
Johny Blackstain
I agree. Normally I'm like most of the crowd in that I don't like the 75/76 bumpers, but they do look cool on this car. Extra long on the front & rear needs extra wide on the sides biggrin.gif There have been a few posts here a while back about a member who kept his late model bumpers but gutted them out to reduce the weight. Aside from the "itty bitty titties" that show up on 75/76 MD & CA bumpers, the bumpers should be the same.

Still have to wonder about the car, whatever happened to it? How was it built & using what pieces, specifically?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 16 2014, 08:53 AM) *
Does The Big VW/Porsche Book say anything else about it Andy?

I'll have a look tonight but if i recall correctly, there wasn't much info to go with it.
idea.gif
Chris H.
Sorta reminds me of the Laguna car that was around here for a while. 2.7 conversion IIRC. Loved that look.

Click to view attachment
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 16 2014, 07:59 PM) *

Still have to wonder about the car, whatever happened to it?

a couple of years back I was told a rumor, that it might be in Florida
but I've never got any details ...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 16 2014, 05:14 PM) *

Interesting. Any idea what gear it had? Any Florida boys seen this car? biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 16 2014, 05:10 PM) *

Sorta reminds me of the Laguna car that was around here for a while. 2.7 conversion IIRC. Loved that look.

Click to view attachment

thumb3d.gif
dlkawashima
I don't know if this is the real deal or just a copy. Front flares look a little too square but maybe it's just the lighting.

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-porsche...mt-die-technik/

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 16 2014, 05:14 PM) *

I remember a story about a MI person ordering one of the very last 914 factory body's in stock from Porsche and having it built with a 914#. I'll try to track down more stories from the old timers. laugh.gif
Wolfgang: I am going to send you a personal email asking for information about a 914-6 that showed up in the parking lot in Petoskey, MI when I went to buy a morning snack last month. pray.gif Original # matching body/motor, rust free, low mileage, tool kit, lots of factory options with an interesting vin # next # to a famous 914-6 GT race car in Germany. I looked it over and it's almost perfect. The owner is very private & just wants to know the history without anyone knowing ownership.
It's amazing when these cars show up when least expected. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 16 2014, 05:31 PM) *

I don't know if this is the real deal or just a copy. Front flares look a little too square but maybe it's just the lighting.

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-porsche...mt-die-technik/

Click to view attachment

With 4 lug rims I think it's a copy. Also appears to have an Ansa exhaust in one of the shots so I doubt it's a six. Best guess is it's a clone attempt because when you cycle through the pictures, the shot of the last six is mixed in there. I do like the flared LE spoiler in the front smile.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 16 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

idea.gif Hmm... I may not get rid of my BUBs after all, even though I have already back-dated. This picture has me rethinking the direction of my car...
speed metal army
I always liked the BUB's on my car. They actually look really good on the "Last Six"
Not a detraction from the car at all, they fit the bill.
Chris H.
Found a couple more for ya Ken:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

From the for sale ad I think...looks like one of Joe's barbeque's...I see Jim H.'s car.

There was a company making fiberglass copies of the later bumpers...loooonnng time ago. Maybe just the front one, don't remember. That would be a nice alternative if you like the look but not the weight of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.