Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buyer guide thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eman 928
Hi, I am going to look at a 914 to purchase this weekend and this will be my first 914. I'm more familiar with 928's and I am wondering if there is a thread somewhere on 914 world that has information on what to look for when buying a 914. Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave_Darling
There is a 914 FAQ on Pelican Parts (see the link in my sig below) that talks about many of the common trouble spots.

I don't know offhand of a thread that has all of the information gathered in one spot, though.

The three main things to check for on a 914:
- Rust
- Rust
- Rust

These cars love to rust almost as much as 1960s Fiats. Common spots include in front of/under the battery (the "hell hole"), around the jack points, and the right-rear suspension mounting points. Also common but less worrisome are the floor pans, especially the floor under the rear window, and the driver's footwell. Plus bubbles around the sail panel and on the cowl.

Fixing rust is time-consuming and if you're paying someone to do the work, quite expensive.

Clutches are frequently out of adjustment, leading to worn synchros and grinds when you shift. Brakes are frequently a bit mushy because some bits of the system can be tough to thoroughly bleed. The fuel injection systems are 40+ years old and cranky, like me. The shift linkage is long and has several connections/joints in it that can each add slop to the shifting action.

Most of the tops leak, at least a little. Most of the dashboard caps have cracked at some point, but replacements are available.

The owners often need tetanus shots due to the RUST, and surgery can be required to remove the immense grin from one's face after driving a nicely-sorted 914 on a twisty road.

They're an addiction. Many of us wind up with multiple examples, and even those who escape 914 ownership seem to get dragged back in at some point.

After your 928, the 914 will feel like it has absolutely zero power, and zero weight. It will change directions at the drop of a hat, and hang onto the road like it was glued on. It will feel almost infinitely less solid. (The 928s I have driven felt like they were build like bank vaults!)

--DD
turk22
try this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png

I agree with Dave completely & would like to ask why are you interested in 914s? Do you want to restore it, drive it, modify it, etc? They are antiques so it's best to think about this in order to save $ down the road. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 16 2014, 05:35 PM) *
The three main things to check for on a 914:
- Rust
- Rust
- Rust

agree.gif

That's the best advice one can give you. Buy the best 914 you can afford and make triple sure you check for rust.

Don't be afraid to poke around with a screwdriver. Solid metal will not be harmed by it but you *will* find all the rusty areas.

As a general rule, no matter what the current owner tells you, trust us, there is no such thing as a rust free 914.
They all have rust.

If someone claims their 914 is rust free they're either lying to you or they haven't found the rust yet.
smile.gif
Cuda911
Read my 914 hunt thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=236672

It should answer most all of your questions.
eman 928
Thanks for all of the input so far. I will defintely look for evidence of rust.

I understand the bumpers on this 75-76, other than their looks, are also quite heavy. Is it hard to convert the bumpers on a 75 to a 73-74? Is there a source of where to buy them?
eman 928
Here are a few pics of the car i'm looking atClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=467
eman 928
One moreClick to view attachment
bandjoey
Unless corrected by an expert (i'm not!) The Carbs look like serious gasket gas leakage - brown stains all down the sides. Figure rebuilds into the price.

experts? is it a danger to drive the car with carb gaskets leaking out?
eman 928
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 18 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Unless corrected by an expert (i'm not!) The Carbs look like serious gasket gas leakage - brown stains all down the sides. Figure rebuilds into the price.

experts? is it a danger to drive the car with carb gaskets leaking out?

Thanks, Bill. I might start a new thread about the carbs just in case the experts don't click on this thread.
brant
Pull the rockers before buying any car
CptTripps
welcome.png

eman 928
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 18 2014, 01:38 PM) *

welcome.png

Thanks Doug. I am assuming another place to look for rust?
bandjoey
He's pointing under the battery tray aka the hell hole.
cn2800
Since I happen to have the engine out for a moment, I can clarify - This photo is taken of the engine compartment from the driver's side, looking right:

Click to view attachment

You can easily pick out the crusty battery tray. Below it is the inverted square cone of the battery tray support. Just in front of the base of the support (towards the front of the car) you can see a sort of ski slope-looking top of the longitudinal structural member. That's where you need to look. Here it is from above:

Click to view attachment

You can see how this longitudinal member forms a little pit at the bottom with the attached crossmember. There's a drain hole there, but it is easily blocked with leaves or dirt. You get the triple-whammy of water pooling, dirt to hold the water, and all the battery acid/byproduct shenannegoats. It can be a real mess.
EdwardBlume
All 914s have rust. Its just a matter of how much and where....
914work
QUOTE(cn2800 @ Sep 18 2014, 03:24 PM) *

Since I happen to have the engine out for a moment, I can clarify - This photo is taken of the engine compartment from the driver's side, looking right:

Click to view attachment

You can easily pick out the crusty battery tray. Below it is the inverted square cone of the battery tray support. Just in front of the base of the support (towards the front of the car) you can see a sort of ski slope-looking top of the longitudinal structural member. That's where you need to look. Here it is from above:

Click to view attachment

You can see how this longitudinal member forms a little pit at the bottom with the attached crossmember. There's a drain hole there, but it is easily blocked with leaves or dirt. You get the triple-whammy of water pooling, dirt to hold the water, and all the battery acid/byproduct shenannegoats. It can be a real mess.

Great Pic & description ....AKA "THE HELL HOLE"
eman 928
Pics of trunkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.