Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How important to remove tunnel cables?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I have my car stripped down with the exception of the wiring harness and the stuff/cables in the tunnel (fuel lines are in there too but will be replaced). In the pics I've seen on this forum it seems that, in most cases, the tunnel cables are completely removed. I haven't tried yet but in looking at it it seems like it might be very difficult to reinstall the cables. Is that the case? If so, and probably a really dumb question, why do they need to be removed?
speed metal army
Its actually pretty ease to do.. I have only done it once, but it was no biggie. I removed mine "While I was in there". Easier when you have your motor out etc. Also nice to have brand new ones in there for piece of mind. beerchug.gif
doug_b_928
Well that's good to know. I think I've read here somewhere that the wiring harness is difficult to reinstall at the firewall. Is that true? Anything else I should know before deciding whether or not to pull everything out?
cn2800
Having just done exactly what you're talking about, I'll offer my two cents. The speedometer and clutch cables were a cinch to remove. For the accelerator and heater cables, I had a little trouble. I had to slightly straighten the left-hand heater cable tube in the engine compartment to allow the straight, stiff end part to fit through towards the cab. For the accelerator cable, I wound up cutting the stiff, threaded end off in the cab and pulling the cable through to the rear - it also wouldn't fit through the curve of the tube in the engine compartment. I figured if I'm going to install a new one, it wouldn't matter, and I could more easily straighten the tube without the cable in the way.
doug_b_928
QUOTE(cn2800 @ Sep 16 2014, 08:46 PM) *

Having just done exactly what you're talking about, I'll offer my two cents. The speedometer and clutch cables were a cinch to remove. For the accelerator and heater cables, I had a little trouble. I had to slightly straighten the left-hand heater cable tube in the engine compartment to allow the straight, stiff end part to fit through towards the cab. For the accelerator cable, I wound up cutting the stiff, threaded end off in the cab and pulling the cable through to the rear - it also wouldn't fit through the curve of the tube in the engine compartment. I figured if I'm going to install a new one, it wouldn't matter, and I could more easily straighten the tube without the cable in the way.

Hmmm......sounds like it will be fun getting the new ones in. Did you pull the wiring harness at the firewall too?
cn2800
Hmmm......sounds like it will be fun getting the new ones in. Did you pull the wiring harness at the firewall too?
[/quote]

I have removed the wiring harness from the car. I don't recall where I read it (probably on this forum), but the instructions said to both pull and install the harness starting from the point on the tunnel next to the shifter. I was able to do it without removing any connectors from the harness. Patience and cleverness are key. Treat feeding the wires through the rear firewall (to the interior) like a Chinese puzzle. Sometimes you have to stop pulling the whole harness, and feed an individual wire or two through to make it work. I should add that since I was going to replace the 'snorkel', I cut it in half and pulled it off from inside the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.