Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Conversion Flywheel/Presure Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
I've spent some time attempting to research my question and cannot find any information in the forum's archives; so,thought that I would ask my question on this forum.

I am doing a conversion project to install a 1987 3.2 motor into my 914. I plan on using the 901 transmission. In the process of researching parts to make this installation, I came upon a Kennedy pressure plate with a 225mm clutch disc that was essentially new. The owner stated that the part is what I needed to make the conversion mentioned above. So, I purchased the pressure plate and disc from him.

When the hardware arrived, I found that the pressure plate included a ring gear for the starter. My confusion is in noting that the flywheel currently mounted to my 3.2 motor has an integral ring gear. So, do I have an incorrect flywheel or an incorrect pressure plate? The Kennedy design included a removable ring gear for the pressure plate. So, do I simply mount the pressure plate to the 3.2 flywheel WITHOUT the ring gear? Or, is the Kennedy ring gear positioned to mate up with the location of the starter motor on the 901 tranny?

Sorry for the confusion, but I am just trying to understand what is required. Incidentally, the 225mm Kennedy clutch disc appears to be a perfect fit to the 3.2 flywheel installed on the motor.
wndsnd
If it is same as the 2.7 I am doing, I had to get an early 911 flywheel with integral gear with PP and disk to match. This mates to 901.

But the flywheel I bought uses 6 bolts. I believe the 3.2 uses more so you need to match your crank.

John
wndsnd
Yeah you have a 9 bolt crank.

earossi
OK. Yes, the 3.2 has a 9 bolt flywheel. The flywheel that is on the engine does mate up perfectly with the Kennedy 225mm disc. I am assuming that the spline count on the disc will match the output shaft of the 901 tranny. So, my question becomes one of knowing if the starter gear will mate up with my existing 9 bolt flywheel (with integral ring gear) when the starter is mounted to a 901 gearbox. If the answer is "yes" then I guess that I just mount the Kennedy pressure plate WITHOUT mounting the ring gear to the pressure plate that was supplied with the plate assembly.

Incidentally, if someone knows the spline count on the 901 or other data that would allow me to confirm that the 901 will fit the setup I have, please provide that data.

Also, does the same pilot bearing work for the 3.2 flywheel as for the 2.0 liter four cylinder motor?
worn
QUOTE(earossi @ Sep 17 2014, 06:39 PM) *

OK. Yes, the 3.2 has a 9 bolt flywheel. The flywheel that is on the engine does mate up perfectly with the Kennedy 225mm disc. I am assuming that the spline count on the disc will match the output shaft of the 901 tranny. So, my question becomes one of knowing if the starter gear will mate up with my existing 9 bolt flywheel (with integral ring gear) when the starter is mounted to a 901 gearbox. If the answer is "yes" then I guess that I just mount the Kennedy pressure plate WITHOUT mounting the ring gear to the pressure plate that was supplied with the plate assembly.

Incidentally, if someone knows the spline count on the 901 or other data that would allow me to confirm that the 901 will fit the setup I have, please provide that data.

Also, does the same pilot bearing work for the 3.2 flywheel as for the 2.0 liter four cylinder motor?

Have you considered the motronic angle in all of this? I am doing exactly the same thing, and wonder if the integral ring might be for the sensors. Took a bit of a hogging cut to make the 901 fit with the tdc and velocity sensors in place. Then the kep stuff comes into play as an add on. Have to admit I am only part way there - I still have seals to replace. Sounds like you are ahead of me, but I am finishing the fuel lines and have the mount installed. I sooooooo want to hear the 3.2 come alive!
worn

So, my question becomes one of knowing if the starter gear will mate up with my existing 9 bolt flywheel (with integral ring gear) when the starter is mounted to a 901 gearbox. If the answer is "yes" then I guess that I just mount the Kennedy pressure plate WITHOUT mounting the ring gear to the pressure plate that was supplied with the plate assembly.

I think the added ring is actually for the starter. Pictures would inspire us.
Mark Henry
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I need to see what you have...

My 3.0 just has a flat flywheel, then I made a adapter ring (this part could be made with or without a separate ring gear) and it uses the a HD bus 228mm pressure plate and a bus 228mm disc.
DBCooper
Call KEP.
earossi
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 17 2014, 09:53 PM) *

Call KEP.

Great Idea!
earossi
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 17 2014, 09:52 PM) *

So, my question becomes one of knowing if the starter gear will mate up with my existing 9 bolt flywheel (with integral ring gear) when the starter is mounted to a 901 gearbox. If the answer is "yes" then I guess that I just mount the Kennedy pressure plate WITHOUT mounting the ring gear to the pressure plate that was supplied with the plate assembly.

I think the added ring is actually for the starter. Pictures would inspire us.

No, you are definitely way ahead of me. My 914 still has the 2.0 four installed. I am in the "parts gathering" phase of the project.

I have the 3.2 motor with stock flywheel. I have items such as the firewall engine mount, the oil tank, engine tin to mate the motor to the car, etc. But, I am several months away from actually making the swap. Actually, I am gong to have the final installation done by someone else who has done these conversions before.

But, there are questions that arise as I put the parts bin together. Arrangement of the air intake for the motor for clearance is something that I have got to look at. I am planning on using a completely stock 3.2 motor which produces more torque that I can really use effectively. So, I plan on staying with the Motronic FI system. This should result in a reliable installation, if done properly.

Yes, the stock flywheel ring gear is used for the speed sensor. I know that I will have to cut out a clearance window in the bell housing of the 901 tranny to accommodate the speed sensor. But, on the 3.2, I "believe" that the same ring gear used for the speed sensor is also the one used for starter motor engagement.

So, when the 901 trans is bolted up to the 3.2, will the starter motor engage the 3.2 installed ring gear mentioned above. Or, do I need to mount the second ring gear to the Kennedy pressure plate as supplied with the clutch package?
Steve
Call KEP. Back in 2000 when I did mine, they offered an adapter ring that bolted to the stock 225 flywheel. This ring adapted the stock 3.2 flywheel to there 228mm VW bus pressure plate and disk. They also had a special throw out bearing in the kit. For a 3.2 you will want there stage 2 kit. Worked great in my car and never slipped. I ended up selling the kit years ago, when I converted to a 916 trans. My car also has the stock dme fuel injection. They also offer a bolt on flywheel, but I don't know if it supports the dme sensors. That's why I went with the adapter.
Mike D.
The sensor ring on the flywheel has square teeth, You cannot put a starter on this. The Kep ring is for the starter and bolts on with same bolts for the pressure plate. Notching the 901 for the sensors is easy. Have Fun.
larryM

I posted pics & part numbers a long time ago -

3.2 conversion FW parts

might be helpful?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.