Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster rims...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So been at work with the rear suspension.. Put some shims in the rear trailing arms and got the rear tires to fit (the inside was the problem amazingly..) 255-40-17's.

Now the fronts are 205-50-17's. and I figured heck, they'll bolt on like no trouble at all...

Well they stick in like a soar thumb.. and they are like bolted against the shock dirt cover.. Sooooo gona put a 1/2 in spacer in it.

Problem is... My rear super long studs arent made for the 3/4 in spacer that I currently have on both sides (like 7 threads on...) and the fronts have no big studs what so ever.. Soooo Im moving the rear studs to the front and getting longer studs on the rear...

There is about 2 in of stud sticking out for the rear studs, and im guessing a 1/4 in for the rotor and another 1/4 in for the hub.. (I think)... Does anyone know how big it is actually if it sticks out 2 inches?

Im thinking of getting a set of 72mm studs for the rear... Is that going to be enough??

Thanks

Andrew
skline
I have no clue, but I really would like to see pictures please!!!
Andyrew
I cant really roll it out of the garage.... lol

I'll take a rear shot for ya...

Andrew
skline
I just want to see what Boxster wheels you got. There are several different styles. There is one style I really like and will be looking for some in the future.
dan10101
best pic of wheels I got...
dan10101
one of my favs
dan10101
Tight fit on the inside...
dan10101
and out
dan10101
Me need spacers....
Brent
I keep alot of Diet Dr. Pepper around also. IPB Image
skline
That isnt much clearance on the inside rear, I uope it doesnt start rubbing in turns and stuff. Good luck on that. Nice wheels by the way, not the ones I am wanting for mine but nice just the same.
Mueller
those will look nice when fully installed !!!

just take a wheel off and measure the thickness of the hub and rotor for sure, I'm betting a 72mm will not be enough....

what are the offsets of the rims?

a 1" spacer up front might be better if those are 55mm offset

for the rear, I'd move them out further to make sure you do not hit the trunk wall when going over big dip or bumps....
horizontally-opposed
Dude, those look great! I am surprised at how far in the fronts sit. I knew you would need spacers, but damn!

I agree, be careful about inside clearance at the rear. My 205s on 15x6s rub ever so slightly, but I think its a pretty similar gap to yours, so you *may* be okay. Then again, you're running 255s!!!! IPB Image

I hope you were happy with the rims!

pete
mike_the_man
Those rims look sweet Andrew! I love the look of the cup style wheels. I can't remember, did you convert to 5 lug? I'd like to do something similar, but I'm still running 4 lug. Not to hijack here, but is there anyway I could run wheels like that without converting to 5 lug? Either some nice 4 lug wheels, or decent adaptors?

Thanks,
Joe Bob
Use 100mm, and open head nuts.
marks914
On mine I used 1 inch spacers, the wheels fit perfectly. see my webshots for mire pics, I posted some a few weeks back.

Mark
marks914
Here is the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...23617&hl=boxter
airsix
Andrew,
The negative camber increases under compression. I'm concerned that your rears are going to rub the inner fender when the rear suspension gets loaded up (turn, bump, etc.)

Here's what I did to make sure my rears didn't rub. When I was hammering my flares to fit the 245's. I had the car on jack-stands and mounted an old shock with no spring. Then I would cycle the suspension to full compression by hand (easy because old shock and no spring) to check for clearance issues.

If you don't have an old shock you could just disconnect your lower rear shock mounts and wire the stocks/springs back away from the trailing arms. Then measure the distance from the top of the shock up the rod to half the thickness of the bump stops. That plus the distance the unloaded arms are hanging below the shock should tell you the theoretical suspension travel. Then make sure you can pivot the trailing arm by hand that same distance without clearance problems.

I really think you should do something like this because I'm pretty sure that as-is they are going to rub pretty bad.

-Ben M.
Mueller
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Jan 27 2005, 10:26 AM)
Those rims look sweet Andrew! I love the look of the cup style wheels. I can't remember, did you convert to 5 lug? I'd like to do something similar, but I'm still running 4 lug. Not to hijack here, but is there anyway I could run wheels like that without converting to 5 lug? Either some nice 4 lug wheels, or decent adaptors?

Thanks,

4 to 5 adapters can be used, but are frowned upon...they are also 1" thick, so for the rear, you might end up rubbing the fender if bone stock (see Marks thread above)

the correct way to do it is convert to 5 lug and use spacers or stay 4 lug and buy good quality brand new Revolution wheels in the 4 lug pattern (15x7 and 17x7 (which I have) are available)
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 27 2005, 09:35 AM)
Use 100mm, and open head nuts.

IPB Image 100mm in the rear, 70mm in the front will do the trick ...

open end lug nuts only!!!!
IPB Image Andy

100mm studs:
Andyrew
Mark what size studs did you use for a 1in spacer? 100mm?

I want to fit 225 45 17's on the front.. would the (im guessing that there 67mm studs on the back) studs that I have on the back be able to fit a 1in spacer? no huh.... Would it be different on the front Maybe I can use a 3/4 in spacer???

Im trying to avoid buying 20 new studs...

Heck I dont even want to buy 8 studs at 9 bucks a piece!! (pelican)

Where can I get 100 mm studs??
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 27 2005, 02:00 PM)

i got mine (70mm and 100mm) out of the used parts bin at EASY ...

much cheaper than new ...
IPB Image Andy

PS: the 70mm will be enough for a 1" spacer (assuming you have real 5-lug, i don't know about 4/5 adapters) ...
Andyrew
IF I had adapters, I wouldnt need to run a spacer.. lol! but thats working backwards... No adapters... adapters are evil.

Hmm easy eh? I think I might have to check that place out..

Im guessing its in the san fran area??

How much did you get your stuff for?

Thanks Andrew
lapuwali
EASY is in Emeryville, near Berkeley. European Auto Salvage Yard.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 27 2005, 02:00 PM)
Mark what size studs did you use for a 1in spacer? 100mm?

I want to fit 225 45 17's on the front.. would the (im guessing that there 67mm studs on the back) studs that I have on the back be able to fit a 1in spacer? no huh.... Would it be different on the front Maybe I can use a 3/4 in spacer???

Im trying to avoid buying 20 new studs...

Heck I dont even want to buy 8 studs at 9 bucks a piece!! (pelican)

The fronts...if on a 911 front end need to be a bit longer since you are going thru a 911 "hat"...same with an "adapter"

On a five lug rear end, I have 100 mm studs with a one inch spacer....with 1 inch of stud extending passed the open nut. My fronts have 100 as well with one inch spacer but only 3/4 inch of a stud exposed......

I got my studs from HPH.....if you want to sell the studs there are plenty of buyers....I need some.... IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 27 2005, 02:12 PM)
How much did you get your stuff for?

don't remeber exactly, bought a whole bunch of stuff that day, but it don't think i paid more than 20 bucks for all 20 studs ...

the 100mm are pretty rare, i got lucky, but he had a whole bunch of 70mm studs there, i think they're pretty common on the 944s ...

EASY
European Auto Salvage Yard
Porsche Parts and Accessories
4060 Harlan Street
Emeryville, CA 94608
tel.: 510 653-3279
http://www.easypor.com/

IPB Image Andy
marks914
I used standard lugs with bolt on spacers. Easy way to do it.

Mark
Joe Bob
So.....what happens when the inside nuts loosen up? Depending on the the wheel....you can't even see them under the spokes....This happens at an amazing frequency.

Adapters are dumb.....do it the right way, get long studs and use SPACERS. Adapters are banned at most AX, ALL DE and Timetrials....
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 27 2005, 05:03 PM)
This happens at an amazing frequency.

according to who ?????

i have NEVER heard of inner nuts coming lose on an adapter other than people saying:
i knew someone who knew someone who said he heard of someone who had this happening to him ...

i have been using 5/5 bolt on adapters for 4 years now, with one season of heavy AX use and i *never* had any problems with them ...

IPB Image Andy
marks914
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 27 2005, 05:03 PM)
So.....what happens when the inside nuts loosen up?  Depending on the the wheel....you can't even see them under the spokes....This happens at an  amazing frequency.  

Adapters are dumb.....do it the right way, get long studs and use SPACERS.  Adapters are banned at most AX, ALL DE and Timetrials....

On mine anyhow, the spacers have nuts that have locking "teeth" on the backside. The 5 to five pattern is not banned as far I I know though. Plus I can see them through the cutouts in the wheel/hub interface.
I do agree that adapters are not allowed at sanctioned racing events.

Mark
Mueller
So.....what happens when the inside nuts loosen up? Depending on the the wheel....you can't even see them under the spokes....This happens at an amazing frequency.

I still think it's user error for those to come loose... IPB Image IPB Image
seanery
I had 5 to 5 adapters on the 951 when I put the 17" Box S wheels on it.
The nut that held the adapter in place can not come off the hub when the wheel is attached...at least with the wheels I had.
There is a flat surface that covered the lug nut on the adapter, it could loosen I guess, but it couldn't come off.
neo914-6
Adapters are dumb.....do it the right way, get long studs and use SPACERS. Adapters are banned at most AX, ALL DE and Timetrials....
My track car has 28mm (1.10") and 43mm (1.7") H&R bolt on spacers. Bill Pickering raced many events with them. IPB Image
They were pretty tight (maybe with lock tight) on the hubs when I removed one of them.
Joe Bob
Well I have been a scrutineer for more than a few race sanctioning events....they were banned in the list of what to look for. I used them for a short time on Frank...they came loose and I cranked the shit out of them....I got them free in some trades....I pounded out the studs and used them as slip on with longer studs. .

TUV in Germany does not allow them....."I" think it's a dumb idea....but, Hey, it's your car, your ass...just don't drive in front of me.... IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 27 2005, 07:04 PM)
TUV in Germany does not allow them....."I" think it's a dumb idea....but, Hey, it's your car, your ass...just don't drive in front of me.... IPB Image

actually, the set i have *IS* TÜV approved ...

all you need to use them properly is a torque-wrench and the know-how to use it ...
if properly torqued the nuts hold just like any "outside" wheel nut.
if they came lose, i vote for "user error" over "design error"
plus, like said above, the nuts couldn't come off the studs, even if they wanted to.

you get me (any) 4 random 914s and i'll bet'ch'ya 2 out of the 4 will have lose front wheel bearings.
now *that* scares me ...
IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
and here's a link to the H&R website

in german ...
http://www.h-r.com/index.php?inhalt=produk...kt-d&sprache=de

in english ...
http://www.h-r.com/index.php?inhalt=produk...kt-d&sprache=en

4th from the top ...
IPB Image Andy

quote from their website:
"Like all of H&R’s street-engineered products, H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers are certified by the German Technical Inspection Agency (TÜV)."
horizontally-opposed
Andy (or anyone),

Do you suppose 7-mm spacers are enough to knock the front end alignment out of spec? I suspect one-inch would certainly do so, but then this question has been rolling around in my head for a few weeks...

Can you get away with 7, 10, 15, 50 mm spacers w/o re-aligning the car or is this a really, really stupid question?

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Jan 28 2005, 01:37 PM)
Can you get away with 7, 10, 15, 50 mm spacers w/o re-aligning the car or is this a really, really stupid question?

i don't see how a spacer would change the alignment ...

i did not re-algin my car after adding the spacer front/rear.
i added 1 1/4" in the front and 1 1/2" in the back.
i didn't notice anything different other than turning the wheel at low speed is much harder and i can go around corners faster ...

IPB Image Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.