Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An affordable upgrade from a 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lexatola
Hello all - I'm brand new to this forum with my first post! I've got other Porsches but just purchased my first 914. I picked up a 1970 with a 1.8 motor with dual weber 40 IDF Carbs.

I've been researching motors and see that the 2270 is a very popular upgrade. I love everything I've read about it - thinking about the kit from the type 4 store.

So what work would need to happen to the 1.8 in order to make this happen?

Will the Weber 40s work for induction or will this build require 44s?

Are there other tried and true builds that could be put together from known parts for less money?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to build a cost effective motor that will make the car go and last....

Love to hear opinions,

Alex
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png

I'm hardly an expert but I believe it's all relative to what you want to do with the car- daily driver, track car, full restoration (probably not the latter since your looking to upgrade). The 2270 is extremely popular & the man who invented it is a regular on this forum & will have 99.9% of the answers you're looking for regarding it. I'm not sure but I think that dual 40mm Weber downdrafts are NLA & might be worth some coin on the used market. From what little experience I have on the subject, it seems the 40's are more for street use over the 44's.
Bob L.
I'm no expert either, from what I have read, going 2270 would probably require the 44's. Going with the stroker crank might also require some machining inside the case for clearance.
larryM
QUOTE(lexatola @ Sep 17 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Alex

the answer is in this book - get it Tomlinson weber manual

rhodyguy
it is my understanding that to fully realize the hp potential in a 2270, heat exchangers aren't going to cut it and you'll spend $$$ while leaving hp on the table. the owners i know with that displacement run header systems. a 1911 or sourcing the components for 2056 (find a good core and use your current engine til the build is done) should provide a pleasant increase in power and the monetary dif can be applied to other areas of the car. living in the pnw you'll miss a warm interior and hate a foggy windshield. how much hp and torque do you think you need?
horizontally-opposed
2056 with carbs or FI is supposed to be a really nice package.

Beware the 914-4 owner's quest for more power...it seems to lead to six cylinders an $$,$$$ all too often. Ask me how I know...

pete
lexatola
Thanks for the various responses. I'm looking to restore this car to largely original cosmetics. I'd like to keep it narrow, add a nice set of 15" Fuchs. Tighten up the suspension and add a bunch of HP and Torque and have it be a great tear around street car. I have an Emory 356 outlaw that makes about 120hp but the car only comes in at about 1,600lbs. I figure the 914 will need to make around 150hp to be comparable. I like the 2270 because of its torque. My other cars are all high revers. This would be something different.

Best,

Alex
rhodyguy
btw. welcome to 914world!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(lexatola @ Sep 18 2014, 02:21 PM) *

Thanks for the various responses. I'm looking to restore this car to largely original cosmetics. I'd like to keep it narrow, add a nice set of 15" Fuchs. Tighten up the suspension and add a bunch of HP and Torque and have it be a great tear around street car. I have an Emory 356 outlaw that makes about 120hp but the car only comes in at about 1,600lbs. I figure the 914 will need to make around 150hp to be comparable. I like the 2270 because of its torque. My other cars are all high revers. This would be something different.

Best,

Alex

Welcome to 914world, and the world of Porsche's "other" genius.

I was looking for exactly the setup you are, and was sabotaged just before pressing go by a high-school friend's offer to help me convert my car to a six. Doing a 2270 to 150~ hp right isn't cheap, as I discovered, so I went with a rebuilt 2.2 six with (nice) used parts and a mix of NOS and aftermarket parts. It was about a wash when I started in 2010. Not so much now, I bet—though I hear good Type IV parts are getting hard to find.

I too like the Type IV for its torque (and, especially) its low weight. That said, I've got no regrets. Your mileage may vary, and you'll have the car I wanted if you stick to your plan.

Enjoy!

pete
blackmoon
I did a lot of research before I made the plunge, I went with the 2270 kit from Jake Raby with twin 45 dellortos and very happy with my build. Lots of torque and a good daily driver
Bleyseng
QUOTE(lexatola @ Sep 17 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Hello all - I'm brand new to this forum with my first post! I've got other Porsches but just purchased my first 914. I picked up a 1970 with a 1.8 motor with dual weber 40 IDF Carbs.

I've been researching motors and see that the 2270 is a very popular upgrade. I love everything I've read about it - thinking about the kit from the type 4 store.

So what work would need to happen to the 1.8 in order to make this happen?

Are there other tried and true builds that could be put together from known parts for less money?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to build a cost effective motor that will make the car go and last....

Love to hear opinions,

Alex

Let's meet up and I'll let you drive my 2056 w/Raby cam, Djet and still has stock heat for the NW's cold days. That will let you decide how much HP you need.
Geoff
914work
Alex, welcome.png take Geoff up on his offer ...& come swing by my place (Mill Creek area) smile.gif
Phoenix914
Why do I have to be the one to say this?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Ok, really I've always wanted to say it! So there it is. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

It all depends what you want to use the car for. A DD may call for something entirely different from a streetable track car. Then there's cost. If I were starting out, I would put money in suspension and mods with the 1.8 in, and upgrade to a 2056 when someone sells one for a decent price.
Chris H.
It might be worth it to check out McMark's turbo setup he installed on the gold car. Seems like a great alternative to a full-on engine build. He was really pleased with it. I think there's a thread somewhere.
lexatola
Hey Geoff and 914werke - do you guys ever come down for the Redmond Town Center exotics event? Saturday mornings - It would be a great time to meet up. My 914 is not on the road but I could bring a 356 or bus just for fun!

Lemme know,

Best,

Alex

It's an opened ended question. I think it all depends on one's ultimate budget.
flmont
You can also read a article on pelican parts about the big four engine under there tech.heading,..its a article from Mr. Nugent that built and ran it as a racer,.??? or look up lite914.com,..Iam in the same boat with a 2.0 ready to build found a shop in hawthorne ca,..Iam going with..European motorworks. welcome.png
TravisNeff
A 2316 is not too much more $$ than a 2270.. Freight Train!
HalfMoon
When I toast 5.0 mustangs with my sbc Darkside Teener it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Come to the Darkside Luke
r_towle
If you have an Emory outlaw, you need to look at this motor for the 914.

Www.polomotor.com

The Emory team can help you, they have used this before in their wonderful creations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.