Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am going to rebuild my 2.0 GC engine. The car was originally fitted with the smog stuff removed by PO, also has the original FI

Question;

I want to get more power from the engine without spending a lot of $ and I want to do the work myself.
All suggestions welcome, thanks
malcolm2
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 18 2014, 11:16 AM) *

I am going to rebuild my 2.0 GC engine. The car was originally fitted with the smog stuff removed by PO, also has the original FI

Question;

I want to get more power from the engine without spending a lot of $ and I want to do the work myself.
All suggestions welcome, thanks

welcome.png

Do you need the smog stuff in Sweden? And how much is alot of $?

I beefed up my 1.8 (1756 cc) and ended up with 1911 cc. I do not have anything to compare the change to, but I like it. If yours is stock you are 1956 cc, I guessing but it was 19-something. Anyway I don't remember your engine components but maybe you can get a slightly bigger crank or pistons and go to 2056cc. There are displacement calculators all over the internet you can play with.

If you are rebuilding, you will be getting new guts to freshen it up, so might as well get slightly bigger stuff. You can make everything better or bigger. Cam, Pistons, Crank, Valves, Ports. The exhaust and muffler can help or hurt too.

Do some forum searches and you will find all kinds of combinations.

Have fun and go slow in your study, that is.
Bob L.
Swap out the 94mm cylinders and pistons for 96mm. That will give you a 2056mm displacement engine.Then you either re-tune the MPS and keep the D-jet or go with carbs and a cam swap. It's a pretty popular "upgrade". Just check the new P's&C's for run out. Some brands can be hit or miss.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 18 2014, 09:08 AM) *

Swap out the 94mm cylinders and pistons for 96mm. That will give you a 2056mm displacement engine.Then you either re-tune the MPS and keep the D-jet or go with carbs and a cam swap. It's a pretty popular "upgrade". Just check the new P's&C's for run out. Some brands can be hit or miss.

Bob,

Sorry but what is MPS and will I be limited by keeping the original D-Jet?
Bob L.
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Sep 18 2014, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 18 2014, 09:08 AM) *

Bob,

Sorry but what is MPS and will I be limited by keeping the original D-Jet?

The "manifold pressure sensor". It should be mounted just below the stock battery location. About the size of an orange. It will have 1 vacuum hose going to it. It is calibrated for 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 as needed. Once tuned it should be a fairly stable setup.

I'm no expert but I believe that the carb and cam swap will net you more power but there is also a lot of tuning to be done. Carb's also require more maintenance.

There are lots of members who have done both. They will chime in.

kkid
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 18 2014, 10:08 AM) *

I don't mean to hijack here but.... would you be more specific about "Just check the new P's&C's for run out. Some brands can be hit or miss."?

Thanks,

kkid )
Bob L.
QUOTE(kkid @ Sep 18 2014, 01:31 PM) *

I don't mean to hijack here but.... would you be more specific about "Just check the new P's&C's for run out. Some brands can be hit or miss."?

Thanks,

kkid )

I have read that sometimes the aftermarket pistons and/or cylinders may arrive not perfectly round. Checking them with a micrometer is a good idea to make sure they are within spec before installing them. Some brands may be more reliable than others. I have no direct experience with them so I can only barf.gif what I have previously read on this board.
malcolm2
QUOTE(kkid @ Sep 18 2014, 01:31 PM) *

Thanks,

kkid )

Generally speaking, I bet he is talking about the quality. Are they round, how un-round are they, etc...? I got mine from the type4store back when Jake's folks were doing the QC on the various brands, putting together a PC package for you that was the best quality and reliability. They probably still are, I just have not shopped their since I finished my engine.
Bleyseng
New Raby 9590 cam, lifters, 96mm pistons and tune the MPS. You'll have about 115-120hp!
Bob L.
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 18 2014, 11:30 PM) *

New Raby 9590 cam, lifters, 96mm pistons and tune the MPS. You'll have about 115-120hp!

What kind of HP range would carbs get you to?
Bleyseng
Depends on the cam, about 110-130hp. In my experience anything over 110hp is a big change over the stock 2.0L 88-95hp!
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 18 2014, 08:30 PM) *

Thanks,

What is the procedure for tuning the MPS?
colingreene
I just said Fuch the BS with trying to maintain a janky old fuel injection system and put carbs on it and did a stroke in the motor also.
Plus i like the way carbs sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.