Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas smell in the twists
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
57lincolnman
I've been taking my 914 on curvy roads in the North Georgia mountains to check out some recent suspension upgrades. Yesterday, I had the top off and the windows down and noticed a raw gas smell that only happened on the hard corners. Cruising down the highway and there wasn't any smell. Anyone else have this happen? Any thoughts as to what this is? Or maybe it's normal thing when the gas tank is kind of right under your nose.
bzettner
QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Sep 18 2014, 09:09 PM) *

I've been taking my 914 on curvy roads in the North Georgia mountains to check out some recent suspension upgrades. Yesterday, I had the top off and the windows down and noticed a raw gas smell that only happened on the hard corners. Cruising down the highway and there wasn't any smell. Anyone else have this happen? Any thoughts as to what this is? Or maybe it's normal thing when the gas tank is kind of right under your nose.

I had that and replaced my gas cap with a new one...problem solved (for me)
Wdunster
Yep. Gas cap
boxsterfan
I had gas vapers in my 74 2.0L. I replaced the rubber seal inside the gas cap, the rubber gasket under the tank filler and the rubber gasket under the fuel sender on the tank.

Got them all from 914rubber.com and it fixed the problem for me. Prior to that I had replaced all the vacuum lines also.

You should also check your fuel lines under the tank....make sure you don't have a leak or weeping hose.
EdwardBlume
When you smell the gas, its the hard seal around the inlet of the tank. I took Dad's car to an ax prior to restoration and you could actually see the gas. Not a bad idea to use new bolts to secure.
toolguy
Check the seal between the expansion tank and the tank. . has the little bolts under the gas cap
holding it on. .
maf914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 19 2014, 11:53 AM) *

Check the seal between the expansion tank and the tank. . has the little bolts under the gas cap
holding it on. .

In the past I have had leakage from this rubber gasket. Tightening all of the bolts uniformly solved the problem. Access is to the bolts is pretty tight. Be patient.
jmalone
All of the gaskets mentioned can be purchased from 914 Rubber at bargain basement prices. Replace them all so that you can keep smoking in the car biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Uh, the overflow line to the neck of the tank??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.