Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this teener worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hi all. As you may know, I'm new here, and am looking to buy a 914. I want one in really good shape, reliable, all that mess. I'll pay up to $7000 for it. The one I've got my eye on right now is in Panama City, FL. What do y'all think it's worth? What would YOU pay for it, assuming you had the extra money to be spent on it.

Here are a couple e-mails...
"The car has been in garage. it doesn't
have rust in the motor compartment or the batter compartment, or any where else.
it is not urgent that I sell. I'm telling you the truth when I say that this car
will drive anywhere in the USA and it will keep going on and on and on. There is
room for improvement if you what to trick it out. but for a fun and driveable
car it is ready."
"The engine was rebuilt from the original cast. new crank,
cam,flywheel,clucth,pressure plate, brakes, paint, wheels,tires, euro lenses,
carbs, ingnition, heater pipes. It does not leak even though the seals are
original. roof could use some paint or shine stuff,the trans is original, no
shift kit. I have the original wheels, lenses, etc. that will all go with the
car"

Here's a description:
"1971 Porshe 914 in excellent condition. 1200 miles on rebuilt 2.0 liter moter. This vehicle is 98% restored with new paint. Original interior, two tone red and black cloth seats in excellent condition.

Vehicle comes w/ new weber carbuerators, MSD ignition system, has a scat 45 cam, new crank, pistons and rods. Has new light covers and wheels, but original equipment is included with the car. Please email with any questions about the vehicle. "

Pics are coming. I really really like this one. It looks like the one for me. I'd tell the asking price, but would like to know your unguided opinions first.

Thanks!
Cole IPB Image
wrpspddrvr
Another
wrpspddrvr
Another
wrpspddrvr
Last one
seanery
have you seen it in person?
If not, you'll really want to see a pic of the hell-hole area.
It looks like a nice car, but pics can definitely be deceiving.

If it's as nice as it looks it could be $6-7k car, if it has issues
then it could be a $2500 car
scotty b
IPB Image ME LIKEY! Without having seen it in person,and by the way it has been described I would say $4500.00 would be a good buy.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 27 2005, 07:18 AM)
have you seen it in person?
If not, you'll really want to see a pic of the hell-hole area.
It looks like a nice car, but pics can definitely be deceiving.

If it's as nice as it looks it could be $6-7k car, if it has issues
then it could be a $2500 car

Wow, that was quick! Knew I could count you fellas!
No, I haven't gone down to see it yet, but will soon. I hope to buy it within a week. I might ask someone from the forum to check it out for me before I drive all the way the hell down there.

Thanks again,
Cole
seanery
where is it? Florida, GA, AL?
balthazar
Just in case you didn't know, a 1971 did not come with a 2.0 engine. They were either 1.7 or 2.0/6 up until 1973. The 1970-1972 cars had what is called a tail-shifter transmission. If I was in your shoes, I would be asking if there was a side shifter swap. The side shifter is a superior transaxle, and is well worth the time and trouble to install.

IPB Image
Root_Werks
It looks like a really nice 914, but:

Pull up the dash cover, I bet the dash is all cracked.
Why a 916 front bumper but not the matching rear? Was it hit in teh front? Inspect the front end very closely.

Other than that, if it is a true 2.0 914 motor, then yeah, $3500-4500?
Jeffs9146
I know some of you guys like the 916 bumpers but I usually check for a front end hit when I see them!

Looks like a nice one though!

Jeff
ws91420
If it's a 71 then the orig 4cyl was a 1.7. Did he rebuild the old 1.7 as a 2.0 or did he put a 2.0 in it? If he rebuilt the 1.7 into a 2.0 did he put 2.0 heads on it? You might want to ask those questions. Some of the other guys here might be able to tell you if the change from a 1.7 to a 2.0 has any drawbracks.
skline
I would for sure have someone from the board check out the car before driving all the way down there. What is he asking for it? The side shift is not so much a better transmission, it just has a better designed shifter. They are basically the same transmission. Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the club.
vortrex
in my opinion the car has all the makings of being not so great.

color change to bright red (usually a good sign to run).
empi wheels
mismatched bumpers (never have seen this before)
weird red cloth interior
carbs

etc etc etc..

there are much better cars that you could, and should get, with your $7000 spending allowance.
anthony
What he said. For $7K you should be finding a pretty nice, original 73/74 2L car.

I'd say $5K max for a nice but still bastardized 1.7L car. Most likely it's worth a lot less.
Rhodes71/914
I think vortex summed it up nicely.

Still might as well have a board member check it out if you can. Then you can make a more informed decision.

Hopefully they only want $4K and you can talk them down to $3, Prolly not a $7K car though.
scotty b
Vortrex makes it sound like mods are a bad thing? IPB Image We have all done non stock things to our cars to make it they way we like it! IPB Image I happen to like the red inserts and they appear to have been done very well from the pics. Anyone else have cracked seat cushons??? I agree about the front and rear bumpers not matching but hey, if thats what the guy liked...Obviously we all agree that you should have a local member check it out for you. I also reinforce the tail shifter tranny is not a bad tranny just a bad shift linkege design which can be "improved" on somewhat.
anthony
Vortrex makes it sound like mods are a bad thing?

They quite frequently lower value. Especially, things like color changes that aren't done in a factory color and aren't done 100% right and the 916 bumper.
scotty b
IPB Image I get that but my point is simply, do we own and build these cars for ourselves or for their "value" to some "collector" on the "open""market" IPB Image " IPB Image " Sorry I suddenly began channeling Chris Farley !!
vortrex
mods aren't a bad thing at all when done right with quality in mind. we all love mods. but the mismatched bumper is odd. I would not think of it much if the rear was done, but as it is now it's like putting different wheels on the F and R. makes no sense.

and the color change to bright red is like "look at me maa, I done got me a red porsh!".
scotty b
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jan 27 2005, 08:24 AM)
as it is now it's like putting different wheels on the F and R. makes no sense.

IPB Image that's funny, I was just looking at a red car in P.A. on e-bay that has different front and rear wheels! IPB Image IPB Image
ppickerell
Why would it still have the original seals if the motor has been rebuilt?
SirAndy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jan 27 2005, 08:52 AM)
Why would it still have the original seals if the motor has been rebuilt?

because the owner doesn't know anything about 914s. just look at the language he used in the original ad ...

i agree with most of what was said here, the front bumper is suspicious, the dash cover is hiding a ugly dash, the tailshifter is less desireable, the engine used to be a 1.7 ...

all of that plus a owner that obviously doesn't know much about 914s (which also means he doesn't even know where to look for rust),
i think you should be really careful spending too much money on this car.

if you can't go there in person, have someone else who does know 914s do a PPI for you.
from the few pics i have seen, i'd say no more than $4k, and that only if it really doesn't have any major rust.

for $7k, you should be able to get a nice, original, well cared for car ...
IPB Image Andy
wrpspddrvr
Wow. Thanks a ton, guys! Those're exactly the kinds of responses I was hoping to get!
I'd already asked about the transmission, it's still stock. That kinda set off my "Yikes" alarm. Why would he not have touched the transmission (done a side-shifter swap like y'all said, at the least) when he rebuilt the engine?
I think I'll keep looking. Only one person seemed to think the $6500 he's asking for it is worth it.

Soon I hope to be able to actually contribute advice/knowledge to this board, rather than just take it.

Thanks again all,
Cole IPB Image
Mueller
anyone remember the red 914 damaged by the hurricanes last year in FL?
I think the guy was trying to sell it on eBay...this looks like the car, but I cannot find the post to make a positive connection...if it is, it's worth about $500
wrpspddrvr
This was on eBay about a month ago or so. I don't know if it's the same. No mention of it...

Cole
I had the same thought about the fl-flood car....makes ya nervous... for a 1.7 with carbs, and no rust, and very solid mechanically (if it has not rust and is solid mechanically) the tops I see out here for asking prices is around 4k..
jd74914
If its the flood car run away as fast as possible. Also, 7k should get you an absolutely perfect 73/74 2.0, so the most I would offer for that car would be 2500, maybe 3000 if it is really really nice and actually has a 2L. You really need to have a PPI to tell.
seanery
I think you guys are nuts!

The days of 3500-4000 very good cars are gone. You can still buy cars in that range, but they aren't "Very Good." I don't know what condition this car truly is, but if it's as represented I'd pay $6-7 for it. Granted, the dash cap is scary. I wouldn't get too hung up on the 73/74 2.0 thing either. Bluecar is a 74 2.0 that is in great shape, whitey is a 72 that had a 2.0 stuffed in it. I actually prefer just about everything on whitey vs. bluecar (before the -6 conversion process).

If it's solid, got decent to good paint, runs well, interior is nice, all systems work well and isn't that flood car IPB Image it would be worth decent money, not TONS of money, but decent money. Hell, I think that original car in the classifieds that was $10k was a good car at just about the right price.

Maybe it was moving out of the sunbelt back to the midwest, but buying a good car for under $5k seems like a pipe dream.
LvSteveH
I totally agree with seanery, I'd buy all the "very nice" cars I could find in the $4000-5000 range. I think that price range gets you a good driver, well maintained, presents well.

A decent paint job alone will set you back around $2500 or better.

Rather than throw wild ass guesses all over the place the car needs to be inspected, and then a solid number can be determined.

If it's a totally cherry chassis, then I'd say $6500 would be a great buy, because there are shinny rust buckets running around everywhere, but a perfect chassis is almost non-existant.
redshift
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jan 27 2005, 11:47 AM)
in my opinion the car has all the makings of being not so great.

color change to bright red (usually a good sign to run).
empi wheels
mismatched bumpers (never have seen this before)
weird red cloth interior
carbs

etc etc etc..

there are much better cars that you could, and should get, with your $7000 spending allowance.

Nice voice, Reason!

M
Gint
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr Posted on Jan 27 2005 @ 11:30 AM)
Wow. Thanks a ton, guys! Those're exactly the kinds of responses I was hoping to get!
I'd already asked about the transmission, it's still stock. That kinda set off my "Yikes" alarm. Why would he not have touched the transmission (done a side-shifter swap like y'all said, at the least) when he rebuilt the engine?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I owned a 72 1.7 bought essentially from the original owner with 166k miles on it. One respray in the original color. Stock original tail shifter transaxle. One of the best shifting 914's I've ever driven. It cost $3500 at the time and was well worth it. With values climbing as they have since then, it would be at least a $6k car today.

As for this car, get an inspection before you disqualify it as a potential purchase. There is probably a 914club member close by. What do you have to lose? If it's as the seller descibed, it's worth as least $5k. If you like the looks of the mods it could be a very good 914 for you as you said originally.
scotty b
IPB Image IPB Image Thanks Gint,Thats what I said this morning. Get it checked out before you write it off based on a couple of photos and ALOT of speculation! There are several members down that way that would probably be willing to help you out.OR I will if you'll provide air fare!! IPB Image
DJsRepS
Im verry happy with my $400 1972 1.7L OEM FI. And thank's to this Fine 914 Forum it idle's low no hunting run's out fine, shifts fine and it is a tailshifter. All in all the car is a real Blast from the Past!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.