Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: correct carpet 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Still on the elusive hunt for correct/very close to correct carpet for a 1970 914-6
which, of course, appears to be a one year problem.
I gather the 1970-6 had felt, different (probably not as nice) as what was supplied on the 4 cylinders...go figure.....and then in 71 Porsche decided to provide the 6 with the same prior years 914.

IF I am incorrect, please let me know.

Apart from the felt/carpet issue, there are other problems with the repro carpets out there, as follows;
a)they seem to all bind the edges with black, when it shoudl be gray (grey up here)
b)the heel pad usually is very inferior....BUT...ebay has "performance.900.1700 which APPEARS to have the correct heel pad, and
c)the factory carpet had a stiff composition to it, with a whitish clear backing in a waffle shape that gave the carpet rigidity...(at least the carpet I have)

Anyone know who "performance.900" is...and comments.

Anyone have any better sources.... I know Mark of 914rubber apparently is making some kits....but haven't seen them. I did send him a sample of my 914-6 carpet, but don't know if that was of any help to him.

Thanks

Paul
siverson
your info sounds right to me. im interested in this as well...
TravisNeff
There are some bargains out there for aftermarket carpet, but they lack the rubber backside to the floor mat sections, which helps with noise and keeps them in place getting in and out of the car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(porbmw @ Sep 19 2014, 10:54 AM) *

Apart from the felt/carpet issue, there are other problems with the repro carpets out there, as follows;
a)they seem to all bind the edges with black, when it shoudl be gray (grey up here)
b)the heel pad usually is very inferior....BUT...ebay has "performance.900.1700 which APPEARS to have the correct heel pad, and
c)the factory carpet had a stiff composition to it, with a whitish clear backing in a waffle shape that gave the carpet rigidity...(at least the carpet I have)

Thanks

Paul

Paul,
As to your conclusions, agree.gif Attached is a close-up of a bit of my carpet from my 70/4, build date 01/1970. Back in the day, I had a friend who had a 70/6, and the carpet in his car was identical to mine. Your observations regarding the binding and backing material are correct. I cannot comment on repro carpet as I have not had the opportunity to compare it to my OEM pieces.

Paul
r_towle
Stoddards would be one place to try
Autos International would be the other place to try.
gereed75

I have a set of 914rubber carpet and have an idea for replicating the factory backing. Can someone confirm the color of the factory backing or post a pix? Thanks
Peashooter
I ended up with a set from Autos International. Very pleased with the carpet and fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.