Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone have experience with 76 912e
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
i know its not a 914,but does it have the same engine?.it was only made for a year and still has to pass smog in ca.just wondering if one of you own or have owned one.of the 912s they are the most affordable.slow,but still aircooled in that 911 body.

posting over in rennlist has not gotten any response.

this forum is so good ,i know ill get some comments.

i have 1 a73 914
X911IC
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Sep 19 2014, 03:33 PM) *

i know its not a 914,but does it have the same engine?.it was only made for a year and still has to pass smog in ca.just wondering if one of you own or have owned one.of the 912s they are the most affordable.slow,but still aircooled in that 911 body.

i have 1 a73 914

Yup, had one that I restored. Has same 2.0 engine with FI. BTW there are several counties in California where there is no smog test required. I had the car registered in Inyo County and never needed to smog the car. If you are going to buy a 912E, make sure that it includes all of the smog equipment is attached or available. The pulley on the engine is only one year and can be hard to find. Heat exchangers are also one year only and can be expensive. I think Tangerine Racing might be making them. PM me if you want some pics or other info. Neil
rosenfe
QUOTE(X911IC @ Sep 19 2014, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Sep 19 2014, 03:33 PM) *

i have 1 a73 914

Yup, had one that I restored. Has same 2.0 engine with FI. BTW there are several counties in California where there is no smog test required. I had the car registered in Inyo County and never needed to smog the car. If you are going to buy a 912E, make sure that it includes all of the smog equipment is attached or available. The pulley on the engine is only one year and can be hard to find. Heat exchangers are also one year only and can be expensive. I think Tangerine Racing might be making them. PM me if you want some pics or other info. Neil

did you like driving it.?
rosenfe
what about the transmission?.was that only made for one year.?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Sep 19 2014, 07:07 PM) *

I doubt it. It's most likely a 915 transaxle. If not, it's a 901.
driving.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 19 2014, 04:10 PM) *

driving.gif

looked it up.trans is called 923,electric speedo,only one year .finding parts must be fun
type47
talk to Steve biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=217627&hl=

East coast for sale (no affiliation)

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=32603

Vysoc
According to the Porsche family tree red book. 2,092 912E's - 1976's were produced with the 914/2.0 engine utilizing the L-Jetronic over the D-Jet. They also used the 914 clutch assembly. which is understandable as the 915 showed up in 1972 for the 911. If you have the sportomatic there probably were not many of those produced confused24.gif .

Slam a 2.2E Flat six in that baby with a 901 tranny and have some fun.

Vysoc flag.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Sep 19 2014, 07:53 PM) *

looked it up.trans is called 923,electric speedo,only one year .finding parts must be fun

Yep, I did too. 923 is based on the 915, modified to fit a Type IV.

http://www.porsche912e.com/docs/about_trans.html
Krieger
My wife drove one for 5 years that I restored for her. Got great gas mileage and a lot of looks. The only problems I had were the heads were cooked from the thermal reactors (emission crap). It kept pulling rocker arm studs. The aluminum softened. So I needed to use other heads.
Dave_Darling
The transmission is a 915 box with a 901 mainshaft so it can use a 914 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel.

Some of the L-jet parts are unique to the 912E, including the rubber boot from the air flow meter to the throttle body.

The exhaust is specific to the 912E, as are some of the other smog parts.

With less than 2100 examples made, you can guess how easy it is to find the parts...

I am told the car handles like a 911, and accelerates like a smog-choked 914. Not exactly the best of both worlds, at least in stock form. The modified ones can be fun, but as 1976 model year cars they still have to pass smog here in CA.

I'm not real fond of them, myself, but some people really do like them.

--DD
colingreene
I think they are neat but i dont want one.
Maltese Falcon
A short production number, only built for the USA market, less expensive to maintain (compared to the 911), and a fun air cooled Porsche, these are already going for more cash every year.The 912e is bound to be a collectable.
oldschool
My family owed one,I loved driving that thing,911 with a 914 heart wub.gif
I'm getting ready to put a type 4 in my 75 911...just for fun I don't need speed. mpg is what I want.
Krieger
It handles better than a 911. There is a lot less weight in the ass end. 100lbs for the motor ~45lbs for a full oil tank.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 19 2014, 04:10 PM) *

driving.gif
It's neither. It's a 923, a evolution of the 915, and is a one year only transmission.
Jake Raby
I've owned a half dozen of them, and have had 3 at once... I have two now.

Awesome cars in every way. They are getting way more positive attention now. This year we've already seen a 75% increase in 912E engine builds here. Thats a good indicator, because we do more 0912E engines than anyone, and the quality of the car rests is demanding a higher quality engine.

Here's #985 after I finished it's resto last year. I drove this car 160K flawless miles over a decade as my only daily driver. It has a unique RAT engine and while its EFI, its not stock.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.